Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 08:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
- snip -
I guess $110 delivered for a months + heat isn't too bad though....
When I was in High School, I used to go, after school, and bring out 3 cords of pine cut in 8 foot lengths. The next night I would cut it up, and split it, by hand. Didn't have log splitters back then. I had an ad in the Penny Saver in Rapid City. Firewood for sale. Pine. $15 a cord, cut, split, and stacked at your location.

Even with that, I would have people calling me up, argueing about the price, wanting to get it for $10 a cord, and telling me that I was outrageous with my pricing.

It is -14 outside. We got some snow yesterday, so I thought I would plow it this morning. Went out to the 4 wheeler and went to fire it up. That's when I found it had a talking computer. When I hit the starter button, it said, "**** you, we ain't going nowhere."

Timber and I come in to warm up. When I go back out there, I will be armed with a can of starting fluid, because, we ARE going to plow this morning. Can't be waiting til noon to do it, that would interrupt my afternoon nap.

Rez, I have a neighbor with a Dodge, Cummins. He plugs in his truck if the temp gets around 20 degrees, or it will never start. A couple years ago, it was -38. He had his shop battery charger (the big one, on wheels), tied to that Dodge. I fired up the Ford, went into town and did a little shopping, and came home. He was still trying to get that Dodge running. I know that my truck is an exception and I don't know why, but ever since it was brand new, it has always started just fine for me. Because it is diesel, I use Power Service during the winter. I also change out my fuel filter 1 November, 1 January, and 1 March, like clockwork. I also carry a spare fuel filter behind the seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM

By the way. I have a neighbor who broke her femur in her right leg. She's laid up and can't get around at all. So I've been helping out. It snows, I go sweep her porch and steps. I've baked bread a couple times and taken her over a nice hot loaf of bread. I've made stew and taken her a big container. The other night I fried up some Elk Chislic and took some over.

Last night she called me and wanted to know if I could come over and plug in her Yukon. I asked her why, was she going some where today? She said, "No, I don't have to go anywhere, but the dealer told me that when it looks like the temp is going to get below zero, I need to plug it in." I then asked her if she had antifreeze in it. Yup, she just had the system flushed and filled, 50/50, back in October.

I had to explain to her that plugging it in, will warm up the block so that the oil is warm, and it will make it turn over easier. If she's not going anywhere, there is no reason to plug it in. She said, "Oh, I thought that is what kept it from freezing up and busting the block." I asked her about all the other vehicles, parked at work, or where ever, what was keeping them from busting the block, they can't plug their vehicle in. She said, "I don't know." So I had to explain to her that that is what antifreeze is for.

She's 44 years old, has a CDL and drives professionally. She was born and raised in Northern Minnisota, so winters are nothing new.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
I guess $110 delivered for a months + heat isn't too bad though....
Where are you getting it for that? I might need some!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
It all depends on where you are, and what's available.

A few years back, I was doing a Government contract and I was living in my RV, in Thononosassa Florida. Just outside Tampa. I bought an outside fireplace so we could sit around it in the evening, and drink a beer. More to keep the skeeters away than to provide heat.

I got in the paper and found a tree trimmer that had mature, cured oak for sale. I called him up and asked him how much for a cord? He said he didn't sell by the cord, he sold by the load. So I asked him how much is a load and what is the cost? He said he drives a 3/4 pickup and pulls a pickup bed trailer. He throws the oak in to both, doesn't stack it, and loads it til it starts falling off. So I said, "Great, how much?" He said, "Do you want some lighter too?" I asked him to explain. He said if I wanted lighter (pitch pine for starter) he would load the trailer, from the wheel wells back, with lighter. I said, "Yeah, a load with lighter." He said, "Well, I normally get $55 for a load of oak, but if you want lighter, I'll have to have $65." I gave him my address and said I'd have cash waiting for him. When he showed up, it was raining, hard. He came to the door and asked where I wanted it stacked. I said, "It's raining, don't worry about stacking it, just dump the trailers and go." He said, "No sir, that's not how I operate, the price includes me stacking it where you want it." So I grabbed my coat and went out to the trailer and started pitching wood into a pile behind the trailer and I told him, "I want it right there, in a pile." He smiled and helped pitch the wood out. It was good oak. He was a tree trimmer, so a lot of it was knots and forks, and such. Great firewood. You could light the lighters with a match, didn't need any paper or shavings.

It would be nice to go down and get a couple semi loads of that oak. That was in 2004, so it wasn't that long ago.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Guy named Garrett, he advertises in the Helena IR. I can PM his info if you want. Not sure if that price is good for a delivery to 3 Forks thought,
It's lodgepole pine and pretty good stuff.

There is another guy up here that delivers full length logs, he was charging $70 delivered earlier this year.

I don't mind bucking and splitting, but if it's already bucked into blocks and delivered, I have no problem with that

Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Cancelled trip to Billings. Forget it.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It all depends on where you are, and what's available.
And if you're cheap I like any firewood that's free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It would be nice to go down and get a couple semi loads of that oak. That was in 2004, so it wasn't that long ago.
That was a helluva deal!

Quote:
Guy named Garrett, he advertises in the Helena IR. I can PM his info if you want. Not sure if that price is good for a delivery to 3 Forks thought,
It's lodgepole pine and pretty good stuff.
Yeah, it's the delivery that'll kill ya nowadays. Tho if I found it cheap enough, I could always fetch it with the horse trailer, that'd be a worthwhile load. 4-horse stock trailer -- I can haul 8000 pounds in it, about how many cords would that be?

Quote:
There is another guy up here that delivers full length logs, he was charging $70 delivered earlier this year.
Per log? That's a lot of cuttin'!!

I can get mill scrap (bark sides, random thickness) at $25 for about half a cord if I go fetch it from Boulder or Livingston... starts real easy, but lot of pitch and ash, and then I gotta cut it up too.

Which means first I gotta take the ol' chainsaw to the shop, cuz it needs to be rebuilt again (all the rubber parts have gone brittle). Little 14" McCullough that's real light and easy to use, but not much horsepower. Been wondering about getting an electric chainsaw for usin' at home -- any thoughts??

Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:

Yeah, it's the delivery that'll kill ya nowadays. Tho if I found it cheap enough, I could always fetch it with the horse trailer, that'd be a worthwhile load. 4-horse stock trailer -- I can haul 8000 pounds in it, about how many cords would that be?

Cord of wood is supposed to be a ton, 2000 lbs, but it depends on the wood as it can vary widely in weight.

Per log? That's a lot of cuttin'!!

No, per cord, and he gives good value for the money too.

I can get mill scrap (bark sides, random thickness) at $25 for about half a cord if I go fetch it from Boulder or Livingston... starts real easy, but lot of pitch and ash, and then I gotta cut it up too.

Which means first I gotta take the ol' chainsaw to the shop, cuz it needs to be rebuilt again (all the rubber parts have gone brittle). Little 14" McCullough that's real light and easy to use, but not much horsepower. Been wondering about getting an electric chainsaw for usin' at home -- any thoughts??
When king brian the lesser sent out that $400 check a few years ago instead of cutting taxes, I invested mine in a new Stihl

The gift that keeps on giving, especially if you cut as much wood as I do it makes the job a lot less work.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
When king brian the lesser sent out that $400 check a few years ago instead of cutting taxes, I invested mine in a new Stihl

The gift that keeps on giving, especially if you cut as much wood as I do it makes the job a lot less work.
Heh.... they make a good one, but too much weight for the "9-stone weakling with knobbly knees" to swing around for a couple hours. That's another reason I was wonderin' about the electric chainsaws, if they're any good -- they're light.

I used to cut that much wood meself... gonna be again, methinks.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Heh.... they make a good one, but too much weight for the "9-stone weakling with knobbly knees" to swing around for a couple hours. That's another reason I was wonderin' about the electric chainsaws, if they're any good -- they're light.

I used to cut that much wood meself... gonna be again, methinks.
Have you got access to a Bobcat? This would be a must if your primary heat was wood.

See this mean Bobcat split firewood in seconds - YouTube

Made by Hahn Machinery.

http://www.hahnmachinery.com/firewood-processor/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana