Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You don't remember "The Little Red Wagon"? Exactly like your picture, but it was Red and he put the engine in the back. Also, it was a Dodge. It was a dragster in the 60's. Pretty campuses as he could wheelhouses the full quarter mile. Back then they didn't use these light weight plastic/fiberglass bodies, they still made them out if good old American steel. It was a pretty good feat to stand that much iron on its tail for the length of the track.

I am on my phone, but I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it. Got a link. Copying pictures and posting with my phone is a real trick, so here is a link. little red wagon - Google Search
Cool!

Never heard of that particular critter before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Snowdrifts up to 25-30 feet on the Beartooth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLcW9UaYYhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmqK7POCO8

More global warming! :P And how to park an 18 wheeler in Wyoming (this was last Thursday!)
Elk, where exactly is this? I'm thinkin' it must be somewhere near Rawlins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCaDsory780

Last edited by Reziac; 04-21-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
That video was shot down by Wamsutter. That's about as far from civilization as one can get and stil be on an Interstate.

Years ago, I had to chain up in Evanston to head East. Of the first 14 vehicles we saw in the ditch, 11 of them were Toyota Forerunners. Not sure why, other than being high profile and light. The road was packed snow with ice on top, and it was windy. I was driving a one ton GMC van and I sailed down the road at 60 with cables on the back. I didn't have a bit of problem, but for some reason, it was a bad, bad day for Toyotoa Forerunners. I run with the cables on from Evanston clear to Rawlins. In Rawlins I pulled the cables off and was able to run 220/287 up to Casper and had to put them back on in Casper to head North on I25. Finally up in Buffalo I was able to take them off again to finish the last 30 miles.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM

Note to self: don't invest in a Toyota 4runner!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Note to self: don't invest in a Toyota 4runner!
Too funny. The other thing I noticed is that every car in the ditch was right side up. Nobody tipped over. The CARS that were in the ditch, had slid off the road and were on the hill part, 15 ft or so, and just couldn't get back up on the pavement. The Toyota's, were all out there about 100 ft from the pavement like they had just decided to head for the fence.

Like I say, the only thing I can think of is they are too light for the height. In Wyoming, the Chain law is in a couple stages. First, it's 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive, and cars with suitable snow tires are ok, others have to chain up. Second its 4 wheel drive is ok, all others have to chain up. So if they had Chain Law level 2 in effect, those light Toyota's may have been running without chains.

Have you ever noticed 4wheel drive/all wheel drive idiot mentality?

I've got 4 wheel drive, I don't need snow tires.

I've got all wheel drive, every tire is pulling.

I've got front wheel drive and it goes places that rear wheel drive won't go.

And the best:

I've got 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive, so I can stop on a dime while on ice.

: smack:

4 wheel drive has 1 front and 1 back tire pulling, opposing corners.
all wheel drive had 1 tire pulling. The computer decides which one it will be.

ALL VEHICLES have 4 wheel brakes and will stop exactly the same, depending on tires and weight. It's just taking off the 4 wheel drive has an advantage. Not stopping. With the above reasoning, that means that Semi trucks can stop on a dime because they have 18 sets of brakes. Boy howdy!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Too funny. The other thing I noticed is that every car in the ditch was right side up. Nobody tipped over. The CARS that were in the ditch, had slid off the road and were on the hill part, 15 ft or so, and just couldn't get back up on the pavement. The Toyota's, were all out there about 100 ft from the pavement like they had just decided to head for the fence.
I'll bet it's cuz the driver thought they could just claw their way out of the ditch, so instead of braking like a normal person so they don't get in any deeper than necessary, they stood on the throttle even harder, like a lunatic.

Something else I've noticed on SUVs owned by folks who don't do a lot of rough driving, is that they seem to usually have inadequate tires. They mighta called 'em "All Season" but they've got shallow tread. What season they're supposed to grip I dunno, unless it's Badly Arranged Words and they really meant "All Summer" tires. That's all of a season, right??

Quote:
Have you ever noticed 4wheel drive/all wheel drive idiot mentality?
I've got 4 wheel drive, I don't need snow tires.
I've got all wheel drive, every tire is pulling.
I've got front wheel drive and it goes places that rear wheel drive won't go.
I've got 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive, so I can stop on a dime while on ice.
And my personal favorite:

"Four wheel drive lets you get stuck in more inaccessable places."
-- Paul Harvey, ca. 1970

Tho it's unclear if he meant "a larger number of inaccessable places" or (just add hyphen!) "places that are even harder to get into in the first place" ...or both.

Personally I hate how front wheel drive is on slick roads... it's like towing ALL the time, only with a trailer that sways all over and doesn't follow worth a hoot. And even more fun with a load in the trunk!

Quote:
4 wheel drive has 1 front and 1 back tire pulling, opposing corners. all wheel drive had 1 tire pulling. The computer decides which one it will be.
It does? What's wrong with all four at once? what about the old ones from before a computer??

Well, I got four wheels pushin' me all the time, they're just all on the same axle.

Quote:
ALL VEHICLES have 4 wheel brakes and will stop exactly the same, depending on tires and weight. It's just taking off the 4 wheel drive has an advantage. Not stopping.
I do kinda wonder if that's why the dually is so bloody good at taking off from ice, tho. It just rolls off, doesn't slip. It was that way even with crap highway tires on it. It's surprised the hell outta me that way.

Quote:
With the above reasoning, that means that Semi trucks can stop on a dime because they have 18 sets of brakes. Boy howdy!
I wonder what that works out to in square inches of braking surface vs pounds of total vehicle weight vs energy of impact.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I'll bet it's cuz the driver thought they could just claw their way out of the ditch, so instead of braking like a normal person so they don't get in any deeper than necessary, they stood on the throttle even harder, like a lunatic.

Something else I've noticed on SUVs owned by folks who don't do a lot of rough driving, is that they seem to usually have inadequate tires. They mighta called 'em "All Season" but they've got shallow tread. What season they're supposed to grip I dunno, unless it's Badly Arranged Words and they really meant "All Summer" tires. That's all of a season, right??

And my personal favorite:

"Four wheel drive lets you get stuck in more inaccessable places."
-- Paul Harvey, ca. 1970

Tho it's unclear if he meant "a larger number of inaccessable places" or (just add hyphen!) "places that are even harder to get into in the first place" ...or both.
Age, it's all about age. When I was 16, I'd lock in the hubs and look for trouble. Now, at 60, I try to stay away from trouble and if I happen into it, I get out and lock in the hubs to "hopefully" get out, without chaining up. I carry 2 sets of chains in my truck. One set has cross lugs that are almost 2 inches thick, the second set has the normal cross lugs like you find on chains today. If all comes to all, I put the thick lugs on the front end and the smaller ones on the back. Seeings how I have locked posi track, front and back, should the chains not do the trick, I'm really in deep.

Quote:
Personally I hate how front wheel drive is on slick roads... it's like towing ALL the time, only with a trailer that sways all over and doesn't follow worth a hoot. And even more fun with a load in the trunk!
I will take rear wheel drive over front wheel drive, any day. The only advantage that front wheel drive has is the extra weight from having the engine on top of the axle. Rear wheel drive with a few sand bags, is so much better. Front wheel drive, on an icy hill, you break loose and you lost stearing. Rear wheel drive, on an icy hill, you break loose and at least you can still stear the vehicle.

Quote:
It does? What's wrong with all four at once? what about the old ones from before a computer??
If you were refering to All wheel drive, it's one wheel with power. The computer figures out which wheel will have the best shot at keeping you on the road. It is outstanding on ice, packed snow, and snow up to a couple inches. And of course, rain. But heavier stuff, it's not worth a hoot. Years ago, there were a couple vehicles that said, "All wheel drive" on them, and they were truely all wheel drive. Jeep Cherokee was one, Audi had one, and a couple others, but anything made since about 1999 and newer, it's one wheel pulling and you better hope it's the right one.

If you were talking about 4 wheel drive, nope, it's one front, one back on opposite corners. If one switches, the other switches. That's what made it a total pain when you had to navigate through an irrigation ditch. Go through at an angle and you seemed to lift two off the ground at the same time and they were opposing. The problem was, with those old differentials, they always put power to the axle that turned the easiest, which means the two wheels in the air. hahahaha Some folks ordered their trucks with limited slip rear end and that was much better. If a wheel turned more than xx% further than the other wheel, it would lock in the second wheel to give you posi track. That was advantageous because you didn't slide one wheel when turning sharply in a parking lot. The outside wheel could turn xx% while making a tight corner and it wouldn't be far enough to make it lock in. In the case of my truck, when I turn sharp in a parking lot, I chirp a tire all the way through the turn. If I lock in my hubs, so I am in 4 wheel drive, and then turn sharp on dry pavement, it turns into a real rodeo and will buck so bad it'll bounce your head off the roof. I'm not sure how much stress it puts on the frame and components, but it's got to be nasty.

Next time you go by the Honda Dealer, take a look at the Pilots. They sell a regular Pilot. An all wheel drive Pilot, and a 4 wheel drive Pilot. They're about the only manufacturer that understand the need for all three.

Well, I got four wheels pushin' me all the time, they're just all on the same axle.

I do kinda wonder if that's why the dually is so bloody good at taking off from ice, tho. It just rolls off, doesn't slip. It was that way even with crap highway tires on it. It's surprised the hell outta me that way.

I wonder what that works out to in square inches of braking surface vs pounds of total vehicle weight vs energy of impact. [/quote]

Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 PM

Something fun for old-car buffs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnab5sG9PQs

And here's one for Elk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xcITHevPrc

Last edited by Reziac; 04-22-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM

Crazy splitting axe, lets anyone split like a machine!

Physics-exploiting axe splits wood in record time | News | Geek.com

Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Crazy splitting axe, lets anyone split like a machine!

Physics-exploiting axe splits wood in record time | News | Geek.com
I have to admit, I really like the idea of an old used tire on the chopping block, never thought of that!

That would really save your toes, and from having to run down pieces of wood as they go skittering across the yard.

That ax would work fine on straight grain wood like that poplar he is splitting, but I would like to see him tackle some of those knotty old bull pine I fight with!!

Some of those I just about need dynamite to split
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana