Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Cat & Wolf, thank you for the kind words. I am happy to help if I can.

genilamp, I don't know a lot about Charlo but I do believe it is on the Flathead Indian Reservation and has a high degree of drug addiction and abuse. Also alcohol addiction and just all around problems. If I were going to move to the state from elsewhere, I probably wouldn't chose that area especially if you have children as it is a rather poor area, low degree of educated people, higher crime and low cost housing. Also it is a very small town, I believe less than 500.

Please have a look at the thread regarding teaching in Montana. I believe it was called Teacher Interested in Montana.[/i]

There is a link I put there for teachers interested in finding jobs in Montana where you can go online and look for jobs and even sign up to be contacted.

If I knew what kinds of things interested you, I could help you with ideas of areas that I think would suit you well, but I think Charlo would not be my first choice given all the great places Montana has to offer.
Ladyfish- I take exception to you statement that the Flathead Indian Reservation is a rather poor area, low degree of educated people, high degree of alcohol and drug addiction. I realize that this is what you believe but you should check it out firsthand. I raised two children in Arlee and Charlo. Both have gone on to college with academic scholarships and are very successful. My husband grew up in Charlo. If you would check out the tribal council you will see that over many years they are very educated. It is true that there is a terrible problem there with alcohol and children. This is being addressed.

Most of your posts have been right on the money but not this time.

Montana has lots to offer and the Mission valley is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 02:10 PM

462 posts, read 1,707,730 times
MHT, I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone here...just trying to be helpful. If you know so much about Charlo, perhaps you should elaborate and educate the rest of us. I was only going on second hand info and as I did mention, I do not know a lot about the area, only what people I know have told me. Sorry if I offended you!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:53 PM

71 posts, read 408,563 times
How difficult would is it to acclimate to the colder weather? I'm used to hot weather, but not attached to it. In my mind I have no problem adjusting to cold, snowy winters and the problems associated with them...but how hard is the actual physical adjustment? Is it all in your perception, or does it actually take your body a while to get used to it? I ask because I am honestly willing and excited to live in that climate, but I don't want to be naive.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Default Cold weather on your body

Southern Star,

I grew up back east in a climate that had snow but it was horribly humid. I moved to CA to finish my undergraduate work in college and got aclimated to no humidity which I loved. After a brief time in Seattle and then back to CA and back to Seattle etc. I finally ended up in SW Montana. First of all, I was really excited to have 4 seasons instead of warm and warmer. Snow was a novelty which quickly wore off for me. I'm not that nuts about snow but since I am self employed and don't have to drive in it much, it's ok. The real thing was the lack of humidity here which makes you feel much more comfortable than if you introduced moisture into the equation. I would take 20 degrees in Montana any day compared to 40 degrees in a wet area like Portland. The amount of moisture in the air at 40 degrees can feel bone chilling whereas 20 degrees in a dry climate like where I live is very comfortable. The only time I ever feel cold besides when the wind blows and it's cold out, is when the temps get below 0. We always get about a week of 30 below 0 when it is so cold, your mucous membranes in your nose freeze. That is not pleasant if you ask me, but anything above 0 without a bad windchill is quite tolerable.

One thing you will experience is dry itchy skin from the lack of humidity and forced air heat inside. Many homes in Montana get a humidifier for the winter months to add moisture to the air inside. I also keep a kettle of water on the woodstove when I burn a fire to add humidity to the air. Just make sure you have a good skin moisturizer and you will be fine. It will be an adjustment for you if you are from a really warm climate. When I used to spend summers in Key West, FL, I'd be running around in shorts when it was 70 and feeling really comfortable, but the locals would be bundled up in long pants and jackets, so you see, it is all relative! I'm confident you will adjust. Oh, one other thing that takes some adjusting to is living at high elevation. Everytime I leave here and go to visit places near sea level and then come home, it takes me about three days to re-adjust to being back at high elevation. My mucous membranes get dried out and sometimes bleed for a few days until I aclimate to the dry and high.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 PM

55 posts, read 217,676 times
Smile Move to Bozeman?

Katwrangler,

Wondering how the move to Bozeman went? My husband and I visited there and are considering a move. We currently live in the SF Bay area and my husband is a bit afraid of the weather. We are also considering Colorado for a bit more growing season. Would love to hear how you are liking Bozeman....

Old 11-08-2006, 09:34 AM

LFults, Katwrangler is only just in the process of making the move, and most likely doesn't have her internet set up yet. She would have only arrived in the area over the weekend. I'm sure she will be back once she gets herself and kids etc. settled in. It will be good to hear how things are going from her.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:20 AM
MHT

Default Flathead Indian Reservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
MHT, I'm certainly not trying to offend anyone here...just trying to be helpful. If you know so much about Charlo, perhaps you should elaborate and educate the rest of us. I was only going on second hand info and as I did mention, I do not know a lot about the area, only what people I know have told me. Sorry if I offended you!
Sorry ladyflyfsh- Didn't mean to fly off the handle. It's just terribly frustrating to hear what people think of the reservation. The Flathead reservation is 70% white, my children and most of their friends have gone on to higher education. Yes, there are problems there - but there are problems everywhere. We now live in southern WY and there are drug and alcohol problems here too. As far as the schools go, our children did well. I made sure that I knew their teachers and what was going on at school. We knew their friends and their friends parents - just like we have done when we moved to other parts of the country. Charlo is a great little town - although there isn't much of it. My sister-in-law has taught at Charlo school for 25 years. My nephews graduated from there and have gone on to school and now have their Master's degrees.

My college-age children have run into the stigma of the reservation over and over. Other students and professors can't believe that they grew up on the reservation. Why? There are many low-income families there. However, if you are tribal it is almost impossible to leave. If you leave the reservation you can lose all your health care/ins, your tribal money, etc.

The Flathead Reservation is very different from most of the rest of the reservations in MT. Because it is close to Missoula there are a lot of people that live on the reservation but work in Missoula - therefore, more income. Also, Polson is on the reservation - Flathead Lake brings in a lot of people for vacation and summer homes, again, more income. There are lots of people on the rez that are very educated. Including the Tribal Council - most of whom have college degrees.

All in all it is a great place to live. The mission mountains are beautiful - that view when you get to the top of Ravalli hill is fantastic. We will probably not move back because Wyoming is now home but our families are still there.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:41 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Default Thank you, Ladyflyfish!

I just wanted to add my thanks; you've given me a lot to think about. After reading your first post, plus the posts discussing the wind, cold winters, etc., I would have to rethink any desire to move to Montana from Los Angeles. (I admit that I am a "weather wimp"!) And to not have high speed Internet access? No DSL? <runs screaming into the night...>

Old 11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
MHT

Default high speed internet, DSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I just wanted to add my thanks; you've given me a lot to think about. After reading your first post, plus the posts discussing the wind, cold winters, etc., I would have to rethink any desire to move to Montana from Los Angeles. (I admit that I am a "weather wimp"!) And to not have high speed Internet access? No DSL? <runs screaming into the night...>
There are lots of places in MT that have high speed internet - we had it in Fairfield for goodness sakes. Also DSL, there are also other options - satellite and Verizon.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Default High speed internet

And as I did say in a previous post, I have high speed wireless internet here in Whitehall and I live 5 miles from town. Only 25 bucks a month and lightning fast...always online... but as for the cold....forget it! It is only 2 degrees here right now and it's 2:47 PM! I'm sure you will be much warmer in SO CA...oh, forgot to mention the 8 or so inches of fresh snow too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana