Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 01:19 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times

Advertisements

im watching the weather channel, the cold seems to start in n central MT then expands out from there. first cold & last to warm its not so much the cold as wind chill, with the winds that come from artic front -12 in GF, another log on the fire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times
LadyFlyFsh

You hit it dead on....... Life here in Montana can be a wonderful experience, I know, because I've been experiencing it for 46 years......

I always sort of wondered why I fled Missoula the way I did... hmm... now I know why... thanks LadyFlyFsh.....

Of course if I would have known just how beautiful North Central Montana was, I would have fled Missoula many more years before I did....heh heh

Old 12-03-2006, 09:01 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Default Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
And as I did say in a previous post, I have high speed wireless internet here in Whitehall and I live 5 miles from town. Only 25 bucks a month and lightning fast...always online... but as for the cold....forget it! It is only 2 degrees here right now and it's 2:47 PM! I'm sure you will be much warmer in SO CA...oh, forgot to mention the 8 or so inches of fresh snow too....
I hope my post didn't offend anyone. Before I'd decide to move somewhere so much colder than I'm used to, I'd definitely spend a week or two there in the winter to see if I'd be willing to try to adjust.

I've experienced real cold only once. I went to Parris Island, South Carolina to see a friend's daughter graduate from boot camp as a Marine, and it was about 10 degrees, cloudy, and the wind blew right through all four layers of clothing (thermal underwear, shirt, sweatshirt, and jacket!). We were outside for about an hour, and it was the longest hour of my life weather-wise.

And I guess I can't use a lack of DSL as an excuse not to move!

Old 12-04-2006, 12:36 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,941 times
Default Great Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
LadyFlyFsh

You hit it dead on....... Life here in Montana can be a wonderful experience, I know, because I've been experiencing it for 46 years......

I always sort of wondered why I fled Missoula the way I did... hmm... now I know why... thanks LadyFlyFsh.....

Of course if I would have known just how beautiful North Central Montana was, I would have fled Missoula many more years before I did....heh heh
I saw in another post that you are in G.F. I am from Fairfield. Spent part of my growing up years in Missoula, moved to Fairfield, back to Msla for college and a couple years of married life, then back to Fairfield. On to MN and now in WY. North Central Montana is the best! Can' wait to get back.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:25 PM

180 posts, read 583,293 times
Hey I just wanted to say thanks. I am looking into the University of Mt Missoula (I am nearly 40, so not your typical student), and this thread has been very helpful. Thanks for all your input.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
I saw in another post that you are in G.F. I am from Fairfield. Spent part of my growing up years in Missoula, moved to Fairfield, back to Msla for college and a couple years of married life, then back to Fairfield. On to MN and now in WY. North Central Montana is the best! Can' wait to get back.

Well you just better hurry on home then...... we'll keep the light on for ya'

Old 12-12-2006, 01:06 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,941 times
Default hurrying home

We're trying. Have to get the kids through college first. There's more money to be made in WY than there. We really appreciated it there when we spent a few days in Missoula the end of last week in the fog and the gloom and got to the east side of the mountains and into the sun!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:40 AM

77 posts, read 337,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFults View Post
Katwrangler,

Wondering how the move to Bozeman went? My husband and I visited there and are considering a move. We currently live in the SF Bay area and my husband is a bit afraid of the weather. We are also considering Colorado for a bit more growing season. Would love to hear how you are liking Bozeman....

We made it here! We are unpacked for the most part. Still missing a box of gloves, hats and scarves. Not good! LOL

So far we really love it here. We have seen more animals here than we have in a long, long time. Pheasant, deer etc.

Where in Colorado are you considering? We lived on the front range. (Lakewood, Castle Rock, Colorado Springs).

Old 12-13-2006, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
For one thing, you will be living at high elevation. Anywhere from 3,000 feet and up for the most part. That means snow and cold in the winter, mountain passes, short garden growing season (we've already had killer frosts for 4 nights that did in most of the garden) and long distances to get most anywhere unless you live right in a city. Where I live which is an affordable area still, I have to drive 60 miles round trip to the grocery store. Gas prices here in MT right now are much higher than the national average. We only just dropped down to $2.99 where the national average is now $2.72. We even have our own oil refinery in Billings so figure that one out.
*** I guess it depends on where you are from. You make Montana sound like a very civilized, easy to live in place. Here in the Northwoods we have everything to mention except longer and colder winters and property values here are low beucase it is a hard area to live in with almost no services available and few want to live here. We have to drive 42 miles to the nearest store, farther to hospitals or much of anything else.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,650 times
I would also love to thank all of the Montanan's for their insight i.e. reality checks, for those of us planning future moves. I am considering the Bitteroot Valley area of MT, or possibly somewhere in WY, or ID, for my future residence. When I do make my move, it will just be my wife and I...along with all the critters (horses, dogs, cats).
I love cold weather, although I have lived in Southern CA. all my life, and cannot speak of having a lot of personal experience with cold weather, I will say this....I hate hot weather, LOL. During the months of July/August it was well over 100 degree everyday for a month here add to that some humidity, traffic, etc <rant off>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana