U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,279,746 times
Reputation: 1792

Advertisements

Quote:
IN Montana’s frontier days, we learned a hard lesson about money in politics, one that’s shaped our campaign-finance laws for a century and made our political system one of the country’s most transparent.

Those laws, and our political way of life, are now being threatened by the Supreme Court — which is why I recently signed a petition for a federal constitutional amendment to ban corporate money from all elections.
read more here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Dillon, Montana
586 posts, read 1,869,126 times
Reputation: 604
For WIW, I agree.

That's as political as I'm going to get!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 AM
 
9,341 posts, read 28,033,644 times
Reputation: 4531
What about banning all money and non-money union contributions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: C-U metro
1,368 posts, read 3,028,676 times
Reputation: 1187
Why not ban all out of state contributions in state races rather than do this? Why should John Testor and Denny Rehberg get the majority of their campaign funds from out of state, non party affiliated PACs? Tester is bought and paid for by Californians and his voting record shows it. Granted, all this will do is shove the PAC money to the control of party operative shlubs in Billings (R) and Bozeman/Missoula/Kalispell (D) but at least we don't have the shame of our politicians kowtowing to out of state capitals directly.

This is a stupid idea. So local REAs and the local chambers of commerce have to just sit down, shut up, and take it who knows where because Koch Industries and national unions (not the local) can't behave?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
1,154 posts, read 4,307,714 times
Reputation: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Why not ban all out of state contributions in state races rather than do this? Why should John Testor and Denny Rehberg get the majority of their campaign funds from out of state, non party affiliated PACs? Tester is bought and paid for by Californians and his voting record shows it. Granted, all this will do is shove the PAC money to the control of party operative shlubs in Billings (R) and Bozeman/Missoula/Kalispell (D) but at least we don't have the shame of our politicians kowtowing to out of state capitals directly.

This is a stupid idea. So local REAs and the local chambers of commerce have to just sit down, shut up, and take it who knows where because Koch Industries and national unions (not the local) can't behave?
Has less to do with Koch Industries and more to do with the Anaconda Company which used to own state government lock stock and barrel. Which Californians are financing Tester's campaign and what percentage of it is funded by them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2012, 03:31 PM
 
Location: SW Montana
233 posts, read 507,479 times
Reputation: 213
Cry Havoc,

You post on at least 15 radically different forums on city-data. From DC, to Guns, to General US, to West VA to Montana, to Phoenix, to Pittsburgh, on and on and on and most are short political blurbs or polarizing news items. 2,330 posts in a year since you joined??? Wow.

Either you are a "paid poster" (most likely), or someone who really enjoy stirring up chit, or a political "hack".

No offense of course....just an observation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
 
6,347 posts, read 9,279,746 times
Reputation: 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post
Cry Havoc,

You post on at least 15 radically different forums on city-data. From DC, to Guns, to General US, to West VA to Montana, to Phoenix, to Pittsburgh, on and on and on and most are short political blurbs or polarizing news items. 2,330 posts in a year since you joined??? Wow.

Either you are a "paid poster" (most likely), or someone who really enjoy stirring up chit, or a political "hack".

No offense of course....just an observation.
Most of my post are not political. When I find interesting content that I feel others will enjoy I post it. I like good discussions. I rarely comment on political issues in states I know little about. Montana seems to have a great system but I am not familiar enough to have an opinion.

I wish I was paid to post.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: C-U metro
1,368 posts, read 3,028,676 times
Reputation: 1187
Default Who owns who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Has less to do with Koch Industries and more to do with the Anaconda Company which used to own state government lock stock and barrel. Which Californians are financing Tester's campaign and what percentage of it is funded by them?
Tester's Top 5 metro areas for campaign funds: (25% in state, 75% out of state funds for 2012 cycle)

1: Washington DC (could include Democratic Party funds so this isn't a + or - to me)
2: New York City
3: Missoula, MT
4: San Francisco
5: LA - Long Beach

Combined, the two CA MSAs contribue more than the Missoula MSA. If I eliminate DC and Missoula, which I consider traditional locations for funding, his contributions are very concentrated in NYC and CA as the three listed account for 20.3% (incl DC is 35.7%). MT, NY and CA have been the source of more than 500k this year. Also, his largest contributer is the League of Conservation Voters which is basically the environmentalist lobby.

For comparison, Rehberg's Top 5 metro areas for campaign funds: (21% in state, 79% out of state funds for 2012 cycle)

1: Washington DC
2: Billings, MT
3: New York City
4: Chicago
5: Houston

If I eliminate DC and Billings, which I consider traditional locations for funding, his other top three listed account for 14.6% of all campaign contributions (incl DC is 21.3%). Only MT has been the source of more than 500k this year. His largest contributer is Alliance Resource Partners, a coal company but is a much smaller contribution than the comparable #1 contibuter for Tester. However, the coal/oil companies listed in the top 20 combined are larger than the League of Conservation Voters contributions.

John Tester
Jon Tester: Campaign Finance/Money - Summary - Senator 2012 | OpenSecrets

Denny Rehberg
Denny Rehberg: Campaign Finance/Money - Summary - Representative 2012 | OpenSecrets
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top