Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

31 year old single female wanting to relocate to Montana, enjoy simple living, like to work with animals, rental property information, best places to live in Montana

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 04:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,095 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I know you all get asked alot of questions from people relocating or thinking of relocating - so I apologize in advance for being another of those....but perhaps my request is slightly different.

A bit of background:
I am 31, from the East Coast originally, by way of small town Virginia & West Virginia mostly, and moved to New Zealand (near Australia) in 1998. I too am contemplating a move to Montana.

Why?

All corniness aside - Montana has been on my list of places I would like to live for a very long time - with possibly Colorado, Alaska or Wyoming. What started as an idealized vision when I was a kid of cowboys and dude ranches - grew to a facination and admiration of the state as I got older....

I want the winters - I miss the snow and generally overheat in the summers. Having looked at the weather trends - it appears western Montana has what I am looking for - cooler summers and cold winters. I have lived in Connecticut and Ohio which had deep snow winters and have been looking at Alaska as a potential place to go as well....

I want the smaller town mentalitity. I miss having a close knit group of neighbors and friends - and like most I guess I am seeking a way to return, at least partially, to the simpler ways. Doesn't mean I don't want my internet service but I don't want big city life for sure...

I am a wildlife enthusist. I have long dreamed of working near Yellowstone or Glacier National Park - doing something related to animals. Here in NZ, I run a pet training business, but I would love the chance to work with larger wildlife - I don't need to do anything special - just be involved with whoever will have me - but particularly interested in wildlife rehabilitation - though I have no experience there...

I don't want to buy a house - just rent a small space for me - heck - even 1 room with a bathroom is fine - it doesn't need to be nice or have all the bells and whistles - just a place to call home.

Job wise - I don't need much - if I can't do wildlife rehab - I have worked in pet retail for a long time - so someplace like Petco is fine or I am currently a Copy Centre Manager for a place like OfficeMax - and I enjoy that as well - so I am not in search of a high paying job - just something I can be creative and/or help people in - if I can afford to live on minimum wage (which was about $5.50 in VA when I left) in a small place of my own - then I'm happy.

I graduated high school in 1993 and began an Art degree that I never finished but have some University behind me. I started working when I was 15 and have been going since. I have done web design and graphics work - but not on a large scale - more for small Mom & Pop type places that can't afford the big guys and just want a nice bit of work done.

I scrapbook, paint, am a country music fan (amongst other things), love open spaces and small towns (big cities aren't my thing as I am not real big into shopping - and yes I am a woman - strange huh?)

Now hopefully all this will help you help me...

Having had a look around - on this board and the Web - I am thinking about someplace in western MT - simply because I would rather not cook in the summer on the plains - but I am completely open to suggestions....

I'm not sure where to start for what I want - So far I have been reading about Kalispell and Missoula as far as small cities go - but I am open to whatever you all think is worth checking into....I have just found the FWP Wildlife Centre near Helena so that is worth a look as well...I would be moving over with just a few suitcases - so a semi or fully furnished place is probably needed....

Now I am really only talking about information at the moment - this move could be 6-12 months away - but I thought it best to get started getting info and doing my research as I can't visit to check things out - I am hoping to make friendships online and learn along the way....

Thank you so much for your time!!

Last edited by WolfDreamerNZ; 10-07-2006 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 05:32 PM

11 posts, read 113,206 times
Default Western MT

Western MT is nice, lots of mountains, fishing, hiking, hunting. You mentioned Kalispell. It is very pretty there, but probally one of the more expensive places to live. Missoula is great. It is a large college town so some things are more expensive. There is a lot of shopping and things to do. Helena is another option, it is about 1 1/2 hours from Missoula (East). It is a little quieter and slower paced. Its the capital so it is political and not as much in the way of events. But, the people are nice and it is very easy going. Hope that helps a little. I grew up in Helena, so if you have any questions about it, just ask.
Good luck!

Old 10-07-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by criwa5 View Post
Western MT is nice, lots of mountains, fishing, hiking, hunting. You mentioned Kalispell. It is very pretty there, but probally one of the more expensive places to live. Missoula is great. It is a large college town so some things are more expensive. There is a lot of shopping and things to do. Helena is another option, it is about 1 1/2 hours from Missoula (East). It is a little quieter and slower paced. Its the capital so it is political and not as much in the way of events. But, the people are nice and it is very easy going. Hope that helps a little. I grew up in Helena, so if you have any questions about it, just ask.
Good luck!
Hi - thanks for the quick reply. I am still trying to find the general cost of living details -as many I have read say Kalispell and Missoula are expensive - what am I using as a point of reference?

If say for example - I worked at Petsmart/Petco/OfficeMax/WalMart - full time on whatever normal salary is guessing between $7-$10/hr - could I afford to live in a little studio/1bdrm place, pay my utilities and live okay?

Old 10-07-2006, 08:09 PM

462 posts, read 1,706,836 times
Hey Wolf...just curious why you want to leave NZ and all her glory? Also curious how you managed to "move to NZ" in the first place at your age and such a while ago. Did you go there to study and stay?

Surely there are smaller towns than Auckland that should appeal to you like say Fairlie or Twizel or on the way to Queenstown. Is it the lack of large mammals in the wild or just a longing to "come home" that is reving you up? I only ask because I have long wondered about moving to NZ someday. I go there often (at least once a year and sometimes twice a year) and I guess even after three weeks or so, I come home feeling like there would be many things I would miss about this country if I stayed there.

I think compared to New Zealand, you might not find things as expensive here even in Kalispell or Missoula. $600-$800 a month will get you a one bedroom, one bath apt. in Kalispell so you might want to go farther out or look at Whitefish. I think Missoula will be much cheaper for you since it is a college town and caters to renters. OR better yet, look down the Bitteroot toward Hamilton or Stevensville etc.

If snow is on your mind, why aren't you on the South Island closer to the Remarkables and cooler climate? You are in one of the warmer zones in NZ.

Well either way, good luck to you....I wish I was in Auckland right now as we are now gearing up for winter and you are enjoying springtime...lucky you! I'll trade you......you can live in my place and enjoy the winter and snow and wildlife and I can go enjoy New Zealand and fish to my heart's content! How's that sound????? I had a nice whitetail buck in back my field earlier tonight and there is a great horned owl in a tree out front and tons of pheasants.....

Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyflyfsh View Post
Hey Wolf...just curious why you want to leave NZ and all her glory? Also curious how you managed to "move to NZ" in the first place at your age and such a while ago. Did you go there to study and stay?

Surely there are smaller towns than Auckland that should appeal to you like say Fairlie or Twizel or on the way to Queenstown. Is it the lack of large mammals in the wild or just a longing to "come home" that is reving you up? I only ask because I have long wondered about moving to NZ someday. I go there often (at least once a year and sometimes twice a year) and I guess even after three weeks or so, I come home feeling like there would be many things I would miss about this country if I stayed there.

I think compared to New Zealand, you might not find things as expensive here even in Kalispell or Missoula. $600-$800 a month will get you a one bedroom, one bath apt. in Kalispell so you might want to go farther out or look at Whitefish. I think Missoula will be much cheaper for you since it is a college town and caters to renters. OR better yet, look down the Bitteroot toward Hamilton or Stevensville etc.

If snow is on your mind, why aren't you on the South Island closer to the Remarkables and cooler climate? You are in one of the warmer zones in NZ.

Well either way, good luck to you....I wish I was in Auckland right now as we are now gearing up for winter and you are enjoying springtime...lucky you! I'll trade you......you can live in my place and enjoy the winter and snow and wildlife and I can go enjoy New Zealand and fish to my heart's content! How's that sound????? I had a nice whitetail buck in back my field earlier tonight and there is a great horned owl in a tree out front and tons of pheasants.....

LadyFF,
Hiya....

Why leave NZ? I do miss aspects of "home" being the US. I have no family here and I have recently gotten back in touch with dear friends that have renewed my homesick pangs.

But mostly it is the wildlife - the largest critter here is a bird or fish - no native mammal predators - I do believe the biggest predator is a bird - I want to work with bear, cougar, wolf (especially), elk, moose etc - none of which are here - a true animal nut at heart - it is these that call me back - I can only work with small animals here - and even then we have no reptiles or many exotic fish even - so I am thinking of moving....

How did I move here? I met a lovely kiwi gentleman over the net - we talked for a year and then he asked me to come here - and I did, we got married and in the end it was our marriage that allowed me to stay - and I am now a permanent resident.....

NZ is a beautiful and sensational place - true I could go further South but it is the wildlife that makes all the difference...

Thank you for all your info - I will look further afield - check out the wilderness areas and see where I could go that is affordable close to there....it looks like Kalispell would be too expensive if I was in a normal minimum wage job..no problem to keep looking....

Thanks for the direction....

Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDreamerNZ View Post
Hi,
A bit of background:
I am 31, from the East Coast originally, by way of small town Virginia & West Virginia mostly, and moved to New Zealand (near Australia) in 1998. I too am contemplating a move to Montana.!!
Well heck! I kinda thought that New Zealand was in Africa next to Uganda! Dang! Y'alls spoiled my purr-sep-shun of the world! (we're not THAT retarded WolfDreamerNZ

Seriously speaking, I say go for it. You only live once. If you go to Montana, the bigger towns seem quite charming from what I've seen on tv. But cold in Montana can mean -40F. I've lived through -20F to -37 in Northern Minnesota and I can tell you, I don't care how beautiful the country is, that kind of cold is unbearable and I couldn't wait to abandon my dad and get the heck out of Dodge. Even winters here where I am now, though they only go a bit below zero a few times a year and hover in the teens for the most part during cold outbreaks, are a bit hard for me to endure, though I do.
I wonder if Northern Idaho above Sandpoint and Coeur d'Alene might be a good choice for you. The winters are still brutal, but they're located on the western side of the Rockies and will often miss the direct Arctic flows that stalk Montana, plus, it's gorgeous. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Well heck! I kinda thought that New Zealand was in Africa next to Uganda! Dang! Y'alls spoiled my purr-sep-shun of the world! (we're not THAT retarded WolfDreamerNZ
*LOL*
Well before I moved here I didn't know where NZ was - so it was more a side note for good measure - no offence meant.....

Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 AM

77 posts, read 337,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDreamerNZ View Post
*LOL*
Well before I moved here I didn't know where NZ was - so it was more a side note for good measure - no offence meant.....
I figured thats what you meant.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:55 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
WolfDreamerNZ, if you are interested in working with wildlife, there is wildlife rehab center just outside of Helena. I Googled it and it's the second link

Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM

462 posts, read 1,706,836 times
Wolf, then I might suggest the Grizzly & Wolf Discrovery Center in West Yellowstone. It's a non profit wildlife park and educational facility giving visitors the opportunity to learn about and appreciate wolves and grizzly bears. Also there is hardly a better place to view big mammals in the wild than Yellowstone National Park. Especially right now when the bull elk are in their rut and highly visible. Tons of elk, moose, bears, bison, wolves etc. Pick your favorite!

As far as less expensive places to live, maybe look at places like Dillon, maybe Ennis, Three Forks ...the smaller towns and commute to work. Helena I don't think will give you enough of a nature fix and wildlife viewing etc. West Yellowstone is often the coldest place in the nation and gets lots and lots of snow. People use snowmobiles to go to the store...not cars in winter as there is soooooo much snow. It's expensive to buy in West but not sure about renting. BUT going in YNP in the winter is just about the coolest thing you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana