Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 AM

462 posts, read 1,708,226 times

Advertisements

Junior, are you wanting to buy or rent? I'm sure you can do better. Let me know by PM and I can recommend someone to contact to help you find something better. There are plenty of places to buy in Butte that are in better areas. If you are renting, I'm sure you have other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 01:19 PM

4 posts, read 33,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Thank you all so much for the information. I have, hopefully, one final question.

We found a house close to the gaping battery acid like lake of death. I was wondering if there are any health hazards from living close to it. All I've read is that it gets a mist over it some times, but it isn't harmful.

Please share your opinions.
You can email the address below and they should be able to give you all the information you want - and probably some that you don't want - about the Pit. Good luck on the move. Be sure to pack your cold weather gear in an easy access spot since February can be one of the coldest months in the area

INFO@PITWATCH.ORG

Shannon

Old 11-09-2006, 01:32 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,507 times
Default MT History

Quote:
It looks like we will be moving around Feb 1st now.

Back on subject. Can somebody tell me if electricity is cheap or expensive in Butte? I've read some contradicting stories, like most other things in Butte, and I'm not too sure of the end result.

Also, I finally got a hold of somebody at the high school. It turns out, even if you're a senior, you have to take a whole year of Montana History in order to graduate, no exceptions. Thats pretty sad.
Why is it sad to have to take a year of MT History? If you are going to live there it's probably good to know something about the state. My daughter had to do that when we moved to another state. We arranged with the school for her to study it as an independent study. She wasn't able to fit it into her schedule so the history teacher let her study it on her own and then take the tests, etc. after school. That might be an option in your case also.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM

8 posts, read 55,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
Why is it sad to have to take a year of MT History? If you are going to live there it's probably good to know something about the state. My daughter had to do that when we moved to another state. We arranged with the school for her to study it as an independent study. She wasn't able to fit it into her schedule so the history teacher let her study it on her own and then take the tests, etc. after school. That might be an option in your case also.
I didn't mean that its sad you have to learn about the state's history. It sad that they're going to force her to take an extra semester next year just for one class.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:47 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,507 times
Default misunderstood

Quote:
I didn't mean that its sad you have to learn about the state's history. It sad that they're going to force her to take an extra semester next year just for one class.
Sorry, I misunderstood the "sad". You might try talking to the school about the independent study option. All they can say is "no." The other option is summer school. It will be a bummer though if they aren't willing to work with you. I do have some friends who are in the Butte school system (teachers) so let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:31 AM

2 posts, read 6,245 times
I moved to Butte a couple of months ago. I live about a mile from the mine & the pit. I don't drink the water that comes out of the faucet. My son likes to play in the dirt in the yard & acouple of his little trucks have magnets, you can tell because the magnet part is covered w/ black stuff.
Rents here depend on the part of town. Uptown rents are fairly cheap. I live in the flat part of town & pay $650 for rent in a nice neighborhood. A lot of the buildings uptown are not that nice. The hills are hard to drive up on ice or snow, at least they were for us.
If you have an address for the property that you are interested in, you can call Northwest Energy & get the averge cost per month for gas & electric.
Trash Service is paid w/ property tax so we dont pay for it.
We found our house on the Montana Standard web site.
If you do go through a Property Manager, stay away from Tri County Property Management.
I am a newcomer to Butte, but would be happy to help with any over questions.
Trina

Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 20,117 times
I have lived in many towns and cities all over the western U.S. Portland OR, Long Beach CA, Spokane Wa, Ogden UT, Denver CO...now Butte MT for the past 4 years. I can tell you that as far as COMMUNITIES go, this is by far the worst one I have lived in. Dirty history, drinking town, now just a ghost town. Butte has 2 kinds of people: the uneducated and the educated...but they both have this in common: they WILL NOT LEAVE Butte! If they leave, they bring an unsuspecting spouse back and the marriage falls apart, because the out of town spouse HATES it here. They are 2 dimensional, narrow-minded, and have NEVER been anywhere...they don't care to. Most of them think that Connecticut is a large city somewhere on the east coast. There is NO economy here..so they rely on corrections type jobs for work. If you break down in your car you will have 9 people stop and ask if they can help..but don't cross someone from Butte, because you will make an enemy for life. YOU ARE EITHER FOR THEM, or AGAINST THEM. Generational "Butteites" know NOTHING about anywhere or anything else except shooting things, driving their junky 4 wheelers, their brother who is on meth and their 17 year old sister with 2 kids who lives in silver-bow homes. DO NOT MOVE HERE....at first you will think this is ok, this is normal...after 1 year you will have figured it ALL out and will understand the inbreeding here has caused most of them to possess only half a brain and as the saying goes: STAY AWAY FROM CRAZY PEOPLE.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:18 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,478,522 times
Man if everyone paid attention to a post like this it would scare ya off.
I believe ya been to close to a superfund site.
Anyway the Butte I know is much better than what you are posting. I agree I don't live there just shop and eat drop trash at the dump and get out, but I've never experienced your situation.
Must be better over Anaconda way.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM

529 posts, read 1,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaman1 View Post
Hi,

From what I found on the net, Butte is 14% lower then the average cost of living for the U.S. . With low housing costs being the main contributor to its lower average.

Rick
Yes.. and with the housing industry in a slump all across the nation... in Montana you would never know it.

Dirt roads, out houses and wild indians aside, Montana is quickly coming into it's own.

I own a pretty successfull internet company here in Great falls, and as far as tech is concerned, Montana has some of the best techs on the planet.

We can accomodate you with all of the worlds luxuries, and put them at your feet..... but we aren't so far removed from our hokey-doke-howdy-maam ways that we couldn't supply you with some of those dirt roads, out houses and wild indians if you really wanted them.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:31 PM

529 posts, read 1,893,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
I have lived in many towns and cities all over the western U.S. Portland OR, Long Beach CA, Spokane Wa, Ogden UT, Denver CO...now Butte MT for the past 4 years. I can tell you that as far as COMMUNITIES go, this is by far the worst one I have lived in. Dirty history, drinking town, now just a ghost town. Butte has 2 kinds of people: the uneducated and the educated...but they both have this in common: they WILL NOT LEAVE Butte! If they leave, they bring an unsuspecting spouse back and the marriage falls apart, because the out of town spouse HATES it here. They are 2 dimensional, narrow-minded, and have NEVER been anywhere...they don't care to. Most of them think that Connecticut is a large city somewhere on the east coast. There is NO economy here..so they rely on corrections type jobs for work. If you break down in your car you will have 9 people stop and ask if they can help..but don't cross someone from Butte, because you will make an enemy for life. YOU ARE EITHER FOR THEM, or AGAINST THEM. Generational "Butteites" know NOTHING about anywhere or anything else except shooting things, driving their junky 4 wheelers, their brother who is on meth and their 17 year old sister with 2 kids who lives in silver-bow homes. DO NOT MOVE HERE....at first you will think this is ok, this is normal...after 1 year you will have figured it ALL out and will understand the inbreeding here has caused most of them to possess only half a brain and as the saying goes: STAY AWAY FROM CRAZY PEOPLE.
You are right...of course, but what I think you fail to realize that this can be said for every other little po-dunk town, all across the great USA.

The stories you hear about Butte, are exactly the same stories you hear about Hamilton Montana, Salmon Idaho... Roy Washington and yes, even places like South Haven Kansas...... Every small town is going to have it's little history of this that or the other....

History don't make it bad..... rumor does...... I think it best to let the transplants decide these things for themselves...

My wife is from Texas and she just simply loves Montana...... go figure.

And as far as requiring the Montana History class???... I wish more folks who move here would study up on our history.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana