Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times

Advertisements

The repetitive statements by Bugsy about the people in Butte being "too white" is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in these forums.
Please relocate as soon as possible to very non-white E. St Louis Ill., Gary Ind., Detroit, or whatever, and enjoy yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I also don't get the point of Butte being too white. It's just a fact of demographics that most of the western states have a high percentage of whites due to historical trends and population movements in America. I get along just fine with people of any racial or ethnic background but I don't think I need to apologize for growing up in mostly white community. Montana does have the highest percentage of Native Americans of any state in the union so we do have that diversity.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,721 times
Default moving this jan 2009

ok guys i did a google search and found some info about butte montana,
i am going there for education at university of montana
i want to know how is the rent compare to living on campus/ renting a apartment, for students,

one more thing, are there any southasian stores there eg indo/pak
what about indian/pak resturant, can't liveout with out curry

how is the weather there compare to weather in canada?
any good places to visit near butte.
how are the girls there

some one said verizon wireless is there?
so that means can i buy a iphone,
its too expensive here in canada
can any one tells me how much it cost to buy it there with plans? / contract?
also any person said we can have dishnetwork there,
any one is here from campus can tell me if i can get a dishnetwork there,
how are the campus resident
pls let me know asap
thanks in advanced

Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,726 times
Default A quick review of Butte

An admittedly quick review of Butte. These are just my observations from a quick visit, and not a comprehensive view of the whole city. But they are true. I was there recently for a job interview and would not live there myself.

1. The largest superfund cleanup site in America is right there in town, a giant toxic open-pit copper mine. And they've made it into a museum or some kind of tourist attraction. Makes me wonder what is in the water and air.

2. There are a lot of buildings downtown that are boarded up. Kind of vacant looking. Window stickers for "Montana Meth Watch." Not a good sign.

3. If your idea of fine dining doesn't extend beyond meat and eggs, you will probably be OK with the local restaurant scene. Otherwise, not so much. No ethnic food that I could detect.

4. If you like to garden, this is the high desert. Mostly brown. Not much variety in the way of local health food stores or farmer's markets, from what I could see.

5. Culture scene downtown: There are a lot of bars. If you are an alcoholic, this could be a good thing. Otherwise, not much in the way of coffee shops, bookstores, etc. to hang out if you don't drink, or at least I couldn't find one.

6. Even though it's surrounded by beautiful scenery, seems good for hiking, I got the impression that mostly the people who go out in the hills carry guns. So if you hunt, that could be a good thing. Not so much for the Sierra Clubbers.

7. The cabbie who drove me to the airport, and I quote, said: "Growing up in Butte there were only three things to do: drink, fight, and ****." He emphasized this by saying "****" or some variation every other word until we got to the airport.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-14-2011 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: word filter bypass

Old 09-14-2011, 01:10 PM

155 posts, read 714,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxskaterdude View Post
An admittedly quick review of Butte. These are just my observations from a quick visit, and not a comprehensive view of the whole city. But they are true. I was there recently for a job interview and would not live there myself.

1. The largest superfund cleanup site in America is right there in town, a giant toxic open-pit copper mine. And they've made it into a museum or some kind of tourist attraction. Makes me wonder what is in the water and air.

2. There are a lot of buildings downtown that are boarded up. Kind of vacant looking. Window stickers for "Montana Meth Watch." Not a good sign.

3. If your idea of fine dining doesn't extend beyond meat and eggs, you will probably be OK with the local restaurant scene. Otherwise, not so much. No ethnic food that I could detect.

4. If you like to garden, this is the high desert. Mostly brown. Not much variety in the way of local health food stores or farmer's markets, from what I could see.

5. Culture scene downtown: There are a lot of bars. If you are an alcoholic, this could be a good thing. Otherwise, not much in the way of coffee shops, bookstores, etc. to hang out if you don't drink, or at least I couldn't find one.

6. Even though it's surrounded by beautiful scenery, seems good for hiking, I got the impression that mostly the people who go out in the hills carry guns. So if you hunt, that could be a good thing. Not so much for the Sierra Clubbers.

7. The cabbie who drove me to the airport, and I quote, said: "Growing up in Butte there were only three things to do: drink, fight, and ****." He emphasized this by saying "****" or some variation every other word until we got to the airport.
Welcome to Butte America, USA........ i miss it

1. Nothing in the water.... it is the richest hill on earth, Butte was built with sweat, blood, and tears. It all about mining history. Mining industry is what the town was built on. Perserving Butte's history is why the Berkley pit is a museum.

2. Butte once was the largest city between Chicago and Seattle, not sure the exact population of the time due to the amount of people living together in such a small area, but it was big that is why Silver Bow county is #1 on the MT license plate system, it was the largest county by population when the counties were former.

3. It seems maybe you didn't visit long enough...... it has ethnic food places, many of buttes characteristics are because it is a melting pot of so many types of heritages (Irish, German, Italian, etc.) Maybe not the indian, chineese, etc that you are accustom too, but it has different types of food and cultures.

4. Not sure about this one, you are in higher elevations. I wouldn't call it a high desert by any means..... Go to Rock Springs, WY if you want a high desert. I would say it is a somewhat normal mountain climate. Short growing season means not a good place for gardens. Butte nor MT in general have very long summers.

5. Butte, does have the most bars per capita vs. any other town in the state. So yes, lots of bars. But, there is a theater, there is a few coffe shops, libraries etc, it isn't a very big town so probably not a good business venture thus not many of them.

6. Alot of people in MT have and carry guns all the time, not anything specific to Butte or the area.

7. Nothing to say

Maybe you didn't spend much time there?? Or it was your first time to Montana? Or your first time to Butte?

Last edited by mtboy; 09-14-2011 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,806 times
Just a guess here:

I don't think someone calling themselves starbuxskaterdude would be predisposed to liking Butte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboy View Post
Welcome to Butte America, USA........ i miss it

1. Nothing in the water.... it is the richest hill on earth, Butte was built with sweat, blood, and tears. It all about mining history. Mining industry is what the town was built on. Perserving Butte's history is why the Berkley pit is a museum.

2. Butte once was the largest city between Chicago and Seattle, not sure the exact population of the time due to the amount of people living together in such a small area, but it was big that is why Silver Bow county is #1 on the MT license plate system, it was the largest county by population when the counties were former.

3. It seems maybe you didn't visit long enough...... it has ethnic food places, many of buttes characteristics are because it is a melting pot of so many types of heritages (Irish, German, Italian, etc.) Maybe not the indian, chineese, etc that you are accustom too, but it has different types of food and cultures.

4. Not sure about this one, you are in higher elevations. I wouldn't call it a high desert by any means..... Go to Rock Springs, WY if you want a high desert. I would say it is a somewhat normal mountain climate. Short growing season means not a good place for gardens. Butte nor MT in general have very long summers.

5. Butte, does have the most bars per capita vs. any other town in the state. So yes, lots of bars. But, there is a theater, there is a few coffe shops, libraries etc, it isn't a very big town so probably not a good business venture thus not many of them.

6. Alot of people in MT have and carry guns all the time, not anything specific to Butte or the area.

7. Nothing to say

Maybe you didn't spend much time there?? Or it was your first time to Montana? Or your first time to Butte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana