Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM

10 posts, read 23,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaGirl View Post
Thank you MontanaMiss! That is what I had begun to suspect from all of the research I'd been doing. And while the economic situation isn't great, they've been making strides to make it better. And the appearances aren't what I'm worried about. That stuff doesn't matter. The people matter. Thank you for your comments! Hope reigns supreme!
That was a beautiful interaction that honestly brightened my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Default this was the first part of jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMiss View Post
I was just surfing around on the net and couldn't believe what I found, yuck! I grew up in the town of Browning, and no it wasn't easy. I have light skin and hair coloring and learned early about racism based solely on a persons appearance. That is why I am so disgusted by some of the comments posted on here about the town of Browning. Yes, there aren't a lot of visually pleasing things about this town in particular and yes it does get cold there, but, it gets cold in Cut Bank (a "prettier" town) also, that is evident with the huge Penguin on the edge of town =), but, there is more to this town than just what you see. An important thing to remember is that the people of this town have not always been blessed with economic security, and alcoholism and drug abuse is rampant, and that does make life harder, when you've lived in that situation it is much easier to understand why the world you live in isn't always pretty and "structured". Let me tell you something about the people of this town though, they are extremely proud, loyal, loving, hard-working, understanding, compassionate, humorous, creative, intelligent, and if you earn their trust they will open there homes and lives to you and help you in times of need, no matter what. The people in this town may not know how to Thank You for your help in making this a better place for the Seniors (who by the way are revered in this society) and the people of this town, but believe me they would feel it in their hearts. I wish you so much luck and blessings and will pray that you are able to look past the bad things in this town and find the beautiful things, they are there. The mountains of Glacier aren't a bad thing to wake up and look out at every day either! It is one of the most amazing places on earth and I'm so excited for you to enjoy it in the Summer.
well put!

Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM

okay jimj and ritchers who's the catcher and whos the pitcher?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Thumbs down Gtfo!!!!we dont need your money and sure as hell not ideals

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymtman View Post
to be fair, pretty much the entire state is poor and economically depressed, including missoula and bozeman, when compared to the northeast or coastal california. So it's all relative, really.
money money money money what the hell is wrong with the world these days well it starts with a european invasion, an allottment act and ends with destitute indians was there really not enough to go around?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Question crime on the rez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternman View Post
I suggest you read an article in Sunday 4/15 Great Falls Tribune concerning
crime situation on the reservation at Browning. (Sternman).
Does anyone else think that the great falls tribune writers are stirring up a big mess with whites and indians?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Unhappy sad but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by quistoman View Post
wow i see a lot of "lets be frank" posts but everyones skirting around the issue and trying to be politically correct. Ill be frank, if you're white you dont want to live there, why? Because of the racism some of the indians have against whites.
There someone said it. I have family that are indian and did live there and they dont care if they ever go back. As a woman you might not have any issues but any man, white man that walks into a bar in browning is either a fool or suicidal, guess my point is if you want to be harassed and fear for the safety of your family browning is a great place to live. Its not a nice place to live for anyone white, indian, black, green, etc.

Just so i dont get a bunch of omg you racist posts id like to be clear and say i know most indians are not racist and wont do or say anything racist but that doesn’t stop the percentage of them that are willing to hurt you and in browning that percentage is high enough it be a serious threat. My family is large and over half of them are native americans, i love most of them with all my heart (some of them i dont know and some i just dont like, but not because of race) and i have nothing bad to say about anyone just because of there skin tone.
However, reservations are full of pain, anger and broken promises so its not hard to understand how a white guy can become a focal point and a outlet and i would not live there reguardless of what race i belong(ed) to.
but how about those mtns! You have got to go to babb and go fishing preferably with mt. Old west outfitters blackfeet country is home to some mammoth sized trout.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:10 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
True that the American natives have not had a smooth transition to the modern world ,but I have been to and through the B.F. Rez. many times and I have lived on the Flathead rez for over 10 years and it is like night and day about how differently the Indians treat visitors on these two very different reservations. The Blackfeet have a very long history of angry hostile behavior toward white people as well as an historic war path relationship with neighboring tribes. The Salish and Kootenai however have a history of friendliness and hospitality to all, that is hard to find in the history books. They are still very nice folks to the white residents to the Flathead Reservation (75% white), and when Lewis and Clark came down from Lost Trail Pass and down into the upper Bitterroot Valley, all bedraggled, starving and frozen , the Salish ran to them with robes and food, and nursed them back to health. The jist of this reply is, Browning bad, --- Polson good !!!
a reservation that is 75% white?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No,that can't be right.... The Blackfeet were a peaceful people who never hurt a soul until the white european came and slautered most of them and the ones that were left were locked on the res and were peaceful and caring ever since. At least that is what is said by popular culture nowdays..
you mean and starved and "controlled" what choice did they have? do you think after what they went through being nice is what they wanted to be? would you?

Old 01-29-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebump View Post
Hi(:
Im from Seattle but my Mother is from Browning and is a full blooded Blackfeet. The town is a sleepy town and unless you have family or friends there, you might get a tad bored lol. There's a grocery store, ben franklin, a couple 24 hour gas station marts, I believe one is a circleK. A few motels, used to have a subway but I think that's either for sale or closed. There's a library, postal office, various tribal offices scattered around town along with a federal building and the tribal building. The Blackfeet Cc has grown over the years as they've been building onto it and there's the musuem.
Now the next town over, a little drive is Cut Bank and there's a movie theatre there, mcdonalds and a pizza hut and I believe a Albertsons grocery store. There's also a small Jc Penneys store there and a cafe with some strange locals that sit and stare at all non cut bankers but I think you get that in all small towns LOL. I've been going back and forth to Cut Bank and Montana, and I've always been treated well. Both are lovely little towns. I would gas up in Browning late at night and no one bothers me and im half white and native and have blonde hair LOL. Now I can't say i'd gas up in parts of Seattle much less get out of the car, Browning is nothing.
The People are lovely too in Browning. Once you get to know the Blackfeet, they welcome you into their homes like you are part of their family. Most of my family are all college educated, everyone encourages their children to go to school and get their bachelors or further to better themselves. Drinking alcohol is looked down upon and most of the Blackfeet are Christians. But as in any community, there will be young people who choose to rebel and go out partying behind their parents backs. Such is the case in Browning but they eventually break out of that stage or their parents catch them and slap them around with moldy biscuits LOL.

God bless,

SnuggleBump
Seattle, Wa(:

i dont understand why you keep stressing the christian thing. if your native and believe the old ways and not christian your a drunk violent or what?

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierparkinc. View Post
Does anyone else think that the great falls tribune writers are stirring up a big mess with whites and indians?
I thought that's what news media was for -- to stir up controversy where none previously existed! After all, you can't sell papers without something for people to exclaim, "Well, I never!!" over....

Seriously, it's all about selling your eyeballs to advertisers, and the more eyeballs they can collect, the more they can charge. Controversy brings a lot more eyeballs than reporting that "life goes on". News reporting hasn't been about TRUTH in a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana