Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:27 AM

33 posts, read 143,411 times

Advertisements

Hi(:
I have blonde hair and every time I go into Browning, Montana, I am treated the same way i'm treated here in my home town of Seattle. I don't know where some of you are getting hostile treatment but that i'm sure can happen anywhere. Most of the Blackfeet people are just living their day to day lives and probably don't care about whoever is coming and going into a store and out. I get smiles and have an occasional visit from someone in a store or out but I do not get rude behaviour. I will also mention that my Mother is a full blooded Blackfeet and the Blackfeet are a very friendly tribe.
The ones that are having problems with my People should visit in July during The Indian Days celebration and see how many non-natives are there participating. I'm sad to see other Tribes putting down the Blackfeet especially since there are alot of our people attending flathead and kootenai colleges and working in those towns.
Anyways, visit Browning and feel welcomed because you are and most of the Blackfeet are God fearing Christians.

SnuggleBump
Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 14,932 times
My husband and I are considering a move. We currently live in VT, he is a electrician and I am a Elementary teacher. I know that Browning is small, but it is difficult to find jobs online, any ideas? Most websites do not have Browning listed. Perhaps a visit is best?
Thanks,
Hpawlet

Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,176,327 times
I suspect there is a world of difference between ordinary Blackfeet out and around in their daily lives, and those who hang out in bars looking for trouble. Which of course is true most places. You can't judge a community entirely by its lowlife.

However, if the lowlife are allowed to shape the world's opinion of your town, or if they take over the town, then there's a problem!

Old 07-27-2007, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpawlet View Post
My husband and I are considering a move. We currently live in VT, he is a electrician and I am a Elementary teacher. I know that Browning is small, but it is difficult to find jobs online, any ideas? Most websites do not have Browning listed. Perhaps a visit is best?
Thanks,
Hpawlet
I highly recommend you vist Browning before you decide to move there. All I can say about the town is in all the time I have lived here I have never heard anyone say they wished they lived there, quite the contrary, I've heard plenty say the were glad they left or would never go.
I can't say who is at fault or why but all I've heard from people here is they are not very friendly to non-natives (Montanan or Indian?) and especially newbies. I do know there is not much of a job market since there is only a couple of business's there.
I've been there a couple of times for sports events and it looked like a depressed area to me. So visit and totally check it out, it may be your cup of tea and may not.
The question I have is how did you settle on Browning? It's kind of an out of the way place and generally not on and travel list or the 10 best places to live or any beautiful city list.
Just keep in mind that visitors to anywhere are generally treated different than residents. It's easy to be nice to someone who is going to leave soon but quite different when they overstay their welcome, kind of like the reletive that won't go home.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,078,568 times
Some guy just got beaten to death there yesterday.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,037,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Some guy just got beaten to death there yesterday.
And stabbed to death last week.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM

Hi hpawlet You might try the glacier reporter ---> Golden Triangle News Source :: Cut Bank Pioneer | Glacier Reporter | Shelby Promoter | The Valierian and rentals will come up from time to time. If you need any info on Browning, you may contact me if you wish via the private message thingy on here and i'll try and help. My Mom is from Browning and almost all of her family. We are currently preparing to move this month to Montana so hopefully by next month we will be settled. My end location will be Great Falls, that's where I plan on staying putting and finishing school. Anyways, Good luck!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 PM

......ya know, if you do decide to move to Browning. You might have to rent in Cut Bank which is the nearest town and then commute from there. It isn't too far. I'd look up the Blackfeet Tribe in the phone book and call them up directly and ask them employment questions directly and they can direct you.
The Blackfeet Tribe did have a website but they seem to be updating it again. They had a whole list of all departments on there before so I would just give the main number a call. I'm sure you could even go on Qwest Dex online and just type in Browning and you can find local numbers. Hope that was a help.

God bless,
Snugglebump(:

Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 AM

16 posts, read 47,067 times
I went through Browning a couple of times. I lived in Cardston Alberta. From the north of Browning there are a couple of little villiages/hamlets like St Mary and Babb. There is a mountain road between them which I think would be deadly in the winter.

A lot of people from the area north of Browning send their kids into Cardston for school paying the cost of sending them to Canada over going to a school in Browning so take that for what it is worth.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,016 times
People sending their children to Canada for schooling has nothing to do with the school systems. It's more of a political thing. It's a distance thing also, I wont get into that here. Did you know the Browning school system has produced two recent Presidential Leadership Scholars. And in '05, the ONLY Montanan named an Academic All-American was from Browning. Take that for what it's worth.

The curriculum has never really been a question. It's mostly about discipline. This has begun to change drastically. I'm not an insider as far why this has happened. I do know this, the change has coincided with the hiring of more Native American teachers into the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana