Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM

495 posts, read 494,312 times

Advertisements

grizzfan wrote:
Quote:
Tom Brokaw and his wife moved to the Boulder area a couple of years ago, south of Big Timber. He has recently produced a DVD for people thinking about moving to Montana;
Great, all we need is another movie/book/dvd whatever about Montana...
The only thing he really needs to say in that DVD is......."if you move to Montana keep you mouth shut about where you live"..............but no, it seems like the first thing everybody wants to do when the move here is tell the whole rest of the world to move here too ! Some people never learn do they.......
The best t-shirt I ever saw, worn by some 70 year old was "Montana Sucks Now Go Home And Tell Your Friends"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM

369 posts, read 1,456,225 times
Quote:
The only thing he really needs to say in that DVD is......."if you move to Montana keep you mouth shut about where you live"..............but no, it seems like the first thing everybody wants to do when the move here is tell the whole rest of the world to move here too ! Some people never learn do they.......
The best t-shirt I ever saw, worn by some 70 year old was "Montana Sucks Now Go Home And Tell Your Friends"
Looks like nothing has changed on this thread - burrs buried deep where the sun does not shine - it's a pity. Does your mother love ya?

Time, moderator to shut this one down.

Tom

Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Looks like nothing has changed on this thread - burrs buried deep where the sun does not shine - it's a pity. Does your mother love ya?

Time, moderator to shut this one down.

Tom
Hummm - I don't see where I said anything wrong, upsetting or provocative, it was a light hearted statement, we just have a simple difference of opinion, I see no harm in that.
What I was simply trying to say in that post was that if you have something good don't go around telling everyone about it, rather count your blessing and enjoy what you got and don't go ruining it for yourself, just a little bit of down-home advice my loving mother gave me, god rest her soul.
I would like to think that the others on here wouldn't ask that a thread be shut down just because they disagree with what you or anyone is saying.

Last edited by JoeJoeMan; 08-22-2007 at 11:50 PM..

Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,184,901 times
Right -- so long as it doesn't become a knock-down dragout with name-calling and nose-punching, strenous disagreement or even a few genuinely harsh words are not something to shut down a thread over.

As to the parent comment, the sentiment is hardly new or unique to Montana. I'm reminded of a bumper sticker of about 30 years ago:

"Welcome to Oregon. Now go home."

Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 PM

174 posts, read 941,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Hummm - I don't see where I said anything wrong, upsetting or provocative, it was a light hearted statement, we just have a simple difference of opinion, I see no harm in that.
You're fine. I got a chuckle out of it. I think maybe people just take it too personally. I just came BACK to Montana and I am not offended that maybe some Montanans wish the door had closed before I got here. It's the nature of keeping a place decent. Those who complain about keeping people out know all too well what happens when a place is overrun. I think economy issues here keep out a lot of people as is.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
"Welcome to Oregon. Now go home."

Ha! I love this one!!! I was trying to remember this saying. When Gov. Tom McCall I think it was didn't want people moving to Oregon. It worked for awhile. Now Oregon is hurting from the massive influx of southern neighbors. Not that I blame those people for wanting to leave their state. I just wish they kept their elitist attitudes down there. Another thread is going in Oregon that I posted in because there have been several people knocking Oregonians and having this "too bad I own the mountain now" attitude. It's what Montana does NOT want to have happen. I think Oregon is a shining example of what is possible. I lived there for 19 years and it has changed so much and not in a good way. What Montana has going for it I think is the lack of huge cities and a rural nature. I hear a fair amount of people say they would move here if they could get a decent job. Montana should stay fairly unpopulated for some time.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:23 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,096,897 times
Montana has three things that will keep populations relatively low: weather, isolation, and not a great potential for a blooming economy.

Montana will always be a niche, or a retreat for people, especially the wealthy and/or retirees. I think this market is what will hurt Montana the worst - because you get a lot of people buying into the resort or scenic areas, retiring or second homes, and they don't contribute largely to the economy (they do bring their money, though).

But it tends to squeeze out the middle class because home and property values become inflated, and the only legitimate jobs in the area tend to be lower paying service jobs. The middle class can't afford to live with these wages, so they flee for other cheaper or economic areas of Montana.

But on the other hand you're not going to see the sort of sprawl you see in Colorado, either. At worst it will look like Boise in the mountainous regions, and stay pretty midwestern in the eastern part of the state.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM

You are right on, Anchorless.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Default All good points

All good points there folks.
If I might add - It's not about us(Montanas) wanting to be unneighborly to outsiders/new-comers, it's simply about wanting to keep what we have, and not have undo burdens put upon us, like realestate prices, I've said it before, with economic conditions such as they are in MT, our kids are at a great disadvantage with the jobs they can expect to find here, and then having to compete with the, "Just got 800k for my Seattle house - moving to Montana", to buy a place and raise a family, I see it everyday, you might say I live it, as it personally effects my children.
Anyway, we don't want to be un-neighborly, it's just hard, sit, take it and not say anything.
I recently made an aquintance of a 'new-comer' - meet their relatives who came in to visit and offered to take them out and show them around some of the river and do some fly fishing.
It's not that we don't like people or want to keep 'it' all to ourselves, we just feel the pinch, and it's not easy financially or emotionaly.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 690,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I can't see why any Montanan would get upset over newcomers. Montana has a low growth rate in population as compared to most of the western states. Idaho has had tremendous growth in comparison and Boise has actually become a fairly major city. This has helped the economy in Idaho and new industries and jobs are the result. If anyone wants to complain I would suggest that they complain to state officials who do such a terrible job attracting businesses to the state. Newcomers are actually an asset to Montana.
It's not about the money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana