Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 11:02 AM

43 posts, read 88,114 times

Advertisements

Hi GiftShoppeGuy,
We are (unfortunately) back from our vacation......yes, the forest fires were still causing smoke, and it's a shame that forests have to go through that.....but our vacation was the best we have ever been on! Even with the smoke (which didn't affect me; guess I've lived with pollution and horrible humidity my whole life)the land was absolutely gorgeous! I've never been anywhere like it...the water in the lakes and rivers were so clear (cold, but clear) and the people were so down to earth and friendly...none of us wanted to leave......I truly understand why people from your great state are so protective of it! The only problem I saw (and we were in the northwest part of the state) was that there is a lot of "stuff" going on in Kallispell. If you could only contain it to that, everything would be great! I guess you can't stop progress, but I hope there are enough codes in place to prevent MT from looking like all of the other tourist trap states....We did look at real estate and found a lot of areas were greenbelt areas, which to me was like heaven! But not only did we love the state, we took trips, hikes, boats, helicopters, and learned so much about MT and the life around the area (wildlife,geographic,geoligical, and so much more).....I really hope one day we can move there, and live in an area where going shopping isn't everyone's biggest priority!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 12:56 PM

276 posts, read 793,170 times
As I have said previously, those of us who watched CA go to ***** definitely do not wish to spread the poison. Instead, we desire a simpler type of life. I don't care about malls or convenience stores; rather as another writer posted"he or she was looking to be liberated from the large and congested cities. I am currently caring for a loved one in FL,which is CA all over again. I'm looking into MT as well as some other areas where I can find some peace of mind. Is that asking so much?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:56 PM

174 posts, read 940,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRead View Post
It's not about the money!
Amen to that!

Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM

495 posts, read 493,452 times
momgonenutzinmem wrote:

Quote:
I guess you can't stop progress
Define 'progress'

I wouldn't consider what's happening here in montana as progress by any stretch of the imagination - it's just alot of wanton development. 98 percent of it which 98 percent of us will come to resent someday.....mark my words, most of us already resent it, and long back for a quiter and more pristine montana.
But that is just one man's opinion, lest someone should get hot under the colar.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 AM

4 posts, read 10,704 times
Default One more perspective

As if this thread needs more posts

I am one of those moving to Montana that some of you seem so angry with. I politely suggest that you are Ghost Dancing. In travels around this country for business and pleasure there are few places that are not experiencing growth with all its problems. Even places that have no natural amenities. (at least that I can see) There are simply more people than there are places to put them and Montana is going to get its share which as noted by an earlier post is really not that significant which you look at it objectively. You could insert practically anyplace on the tee shirt "welcome to blah, blah now go home". I see them everywhere.

"I share your pain". I grew up and have always lived in rural areas including the mountain west. Each of them has now been pretty much taken over by cities and tract housing. It hurts to see houses where I hunted, ponds filled in where I fished (I thought laws protected wetlands-wrong) but dwelling on it changes nothing.

Those of you from Montana are fortunate. It is a great place and I like it for what it is- no desire to change it. But it will change. May I suggest that you might think of your children and grandchildren who with some economic growth might be able to stay in Montana with good jobs instead of leaving?

Anyone that says money does not matter has never been totally without it.

"Just my opinion- I could be wrong"

Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
If "There are simply more people than there are places to put them...” then maybe we should stop importing so many. Fewer immigrants, highly trained, skilled and unskilled, all take up room and jobs that can be done by the people already living here and should be. Really controlling, if not stopping population growth, by immigration control would reduce the overcrowding in our cities and leave the rural areas rural.

Rapid population growth only benefits the speculators and they are not anyone’s friend. They are just gamblers and takers that move in steal the money and leave the problems for the people they robbed.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:23 PM

69 posts, read 223,475 times
I agree with the terrible immigration practices. But I also think Americans should lay fewer eggs, to help with the over-population problem that is sucking our resources dry.
We have to control ourselves before we can control anything else. I too, came from a place where I grew up fishing and camping in the most wild of places, I know it will be hard to believe, but it was North Seattle.Before I-5 it was the city in one contained place, then the country everywhere else. The end of all came in the 70's-80's-90's.
Just seemed like overnight.
There are desirable and undesirable places to settle in all States.But as has been stated before, it will happen and nothing will stop it. I have suggested before, and I say again. The best answer is not denial, but to work with each other.It looks like there will never be a solution to increasing population, But the more helpful and kind we can be to each other can only help to make the transformation more desirable. As for myself, I wish I was born in a past century. Can you imagine what the Seattle area was like 150 years ago. My grandfather, born 1889, told my mother you could look up and never see the sky in places were the old growth fir was thick. You still cannot see the sky in downtown Seattle, but not for the trees but the skyscrapers! Every past generation saw more of the natural than the next.
The only way to avoid the coming onslaught in Montana, would be to move to another century.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:31 PM

264 posts, read 398,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arleigh-20 View Post
The only way to avoid the coming onslaught in Montana, would be to move to another century.
I think the Montana winters will keep growth down...like it does in every other state with miserable weather for nine months a year.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,954 times
...I think immigration and overpopulation are very serious problems.My husband Roy and I got married a few months ago in our home state of Rhode Island.We bought a ranch in Helena.We are thinking of adopting a child,because we cannot have kids.
We are a gay couple.I guess this is one way we are not contributing to overpopulatiion.Our state was once pretty,but people...people...they have to go somewhere.
We love Montana and hope to make good neighbors while we're here.We are very neat and clean.We have talked to many friends back home,and they cannot believe how pretty this state is and how much available land here is for sale.
Knock knock...who is there? Friends from Rhode Island with lots of money!
Pachaug

Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
The problem isn't just that population and development have become juggernauts. It's that once you've filled in those wetlands and paved over those wheat fields, there is no going back. It is gone FOREVER. Your children who you brought here for a better life will never know the life you thought you were bringing them to. And meanwhile, those of us who grew up in the rural way of life are having it taken away from us, as surely and forcibly as if it happened at gunpoint.

Immigration is indeed a problem. There are about 8 million illegals in SoCal alone. They've long since taken all the jobs that American kids (urban and rural) USED to do, and they're sucking the public entitlement system dry and sending money out of the country, often without ever paying a cent in taxes. And meanwhile, some Americans ruin other Americans' way of life in the name of getting away from that mess. What happens when that mess has migrated so far north and inland that there's no more America left to flee to?? Don't think it's coming your way? It's already reached Boise ID.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana