Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,172,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
I wonder sometimes what goes through minds of all the out-of-staters that have come here, and that are planning on coming here, and that are just considering coming here.. They aren't children, they know what they're doing.. They're aware of the impact they're having.. It's just like the situation with the illegals.. They know they're breaking the law by coming to america .. that, for the most part, they aren't wanted here .. that they're negatively impacting the crime, resources, quality of life, and culture of the place to which they're going...... But, for both the illegals coming to america, and the out-of-staters coming to Montana, its better than where they are .. Even with their impact, to them its still better than where they are.. No matter how crowded it gets, its still better.. No matter how the crime goes up, its still better.. No matter the drain on the resources, its still better.. No matter the financial costs to the local people, its still better.. (for THEM, of course .. the out-of-staters can afford it, and the illegals won't be paying it).. No matter the impact on the locals quality of life, it still better for them than it was where they're coming from.. No matter the impact on the local area's 150 yr old - working very well, thank you - culture, "Montana needs to get with the times, anyway." ( "what do you mean, there's no starbucks .. who do you think you are, telling my kids how to behave in school .. did I just hear you tell me NO to something - IS THERE A LAWYER IN THE HOUSE? .. I have RIGHTS, you know, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE .. Well, its NOT how we do things in L.A. - or Chicago, or Philadelphia, or New Jersey, or a dozen other places .. "my kid's a good kid, he just hung out with the wrong crowd, that's why I'm bringing him here ... I didn't know you had gangs here - what do you mean you didn't till WE got here.)

They are all aware of everything that's going on.. They just don't care, because its better for THEM.. No matter how bad it eventually gets for the locals .. it will ALWAYS still be better for them.. Even if they steadily change their new home into the same place they made their old home, or allowed it to become (which to me is an even bigger crime).. it will still be better for them .. and when it isn't, they'll just find another nice place and move there. .... And they do it for two simple reasons.. They WANT to, and they have the RIGHT to.. Nothing else matters.

This doesn't apply to EVERYONE coming to Montana.. There are some who will fit in.. They aren't ALL the same.. But MOST of them are.. But even if they were ALL the kind who would "fit in" .. the numbers alone will still radically change the areas to which they move.. Good intentions aren't always enough.. The impact is still there.. Like locusts, individually they aren't all that bad, but when they come in numbers, when they come as a swarm, there's nothing more destructive.. They come, they comsume, they destroy and they leave.. And all they care about is their own appetite.. And like the out-of-staters, there's really nothing you can do to stop them.

I know its in the back of their mind SOMEWHERE.. I just wonder what they think when they DO consider it..

And I wonder what they think Montana did to deserve this..

Oh, and I want to thank the out of staters for house warming gift they brought with them .. THANKS..
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...cc4c03286.html

tiberius
It's good to know that at least some people are thinking about more than making money, and trying to help preserve the good lives of good people..

Thanks for the post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,414,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rans8855 View Post
Mountains are nice, but have no real desire to live in them. A nice flat piece of land will suit us just fine! What we like is cold in the winter and warm to hot in the summer. Actually what we want is the 4 seasons. We do not want to be in a city...about 10-20 miles away from one is fine.
That's kind of how I feel. Mountains are beautiful, but between a view of a couple mountains in the distance or being surrounded by countless bodies of water, I'll take the water. I'd rather have tons of lakes, streams, and rivers. I don't mind the small city life as long as there is a bigger city in driving distance. And I also like 4 seasons. I think Montana has about three. In all the years I've livd here, I've never seen a full Autumn. The leaves always freeze, brown up, and drop too early.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:27 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,414,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rans8855 View Post
This modern time is a terrible time for our country! I long for the 1950's and 60's. A simpler time, no video games, computers, cell phones, etc...., and most of all....free T.V with 6 channels to watch.
I love the sound of this.
I think I experienced some of that being a kid in the '80s.
We had less than 6 channels, we had only ONE. NBC. That was the only channel that came in on our little black and white TV, for the first six years of my life. Then we got cable. But we still had no cell phones and no computers. We used computers at school, but most people I knew didn't have home computers of any kind yet. Video games, they came along later. But I never got into them much. I'm still not into them.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,299 times
It's shocking to read so much resentment towards newcomers especially Mexicans. So many ranchers pay money to hire live in Mexicans straight from Mexico to work in their ranches and Roofing companies hire Mexicans as seasonal employees to come to MT and work for them. They have them living in their properties or in motels. As for american citizens moving from other states, it is a free country. Many people relocate to this state and are hired here. They bring skills and excellent work ethic otherwise not found in many small towns here. I hate to say it, but it is the truth. There are many citizens in MT who are only interested in drinking and not skilled in much and many employers and owners of businesses know this. So those of you who feel THREATENED are the ones complaining.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:27 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,545,482 times
Mexican nationals working on Montana Ag operations are most likely hired through an Ag employment agency that is government associated. They are here legally. The few I know come back every year to the same ranches. 25 or more years ago their fellow workers might have slipped through illegally but now they come across on public transportation with their paperwork in order.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM

233 posts, read 544,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttant View Post
It's shocking to read so much resentment towards newcomers especially Mexicans. So many ranchers pay money to hire live in Mexicans straight from Mexico to work in their ranches and Roofing companies hire Mexicans as seasonal employees to come to MT and work for them. They have them living in their properties or in motels. As for american citizens moving from other states, it is a free country. Many people relocate to this state and are hired here. They bring skills and excellent work ethic otherwise not found in many small towns here. I hate to say it, but it is the truth. There are many citizens in MT who are only interested in drinking and not skilled in much and many employers and owners of businesses know this. So those of you who feel THREATENED are the ones complaining.
Wow. You resurrect a 2 year old post to make your first post?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Moved to Lakeside & worked in Kalispell area. I fell in love with the land & the people. I understand how locals of MT could resent CALIFORNIANS moving there. It caused the housing to skyrocket so Locals couldnt even afford housings and coming into MT. trying to CHANGE IT. I loved & APPRECIATED the beautiful scenic views & how friendly it was compared to CA. WHY would someone go to someone elses home and tell them they SHOULD redecorate to fit the companys taste. How rude & disrepectful ! You come to MY HOME have manners and LEAVE THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE OR LEAVE. !! I LOVE YOU MT and would NEVER try to CHANGE YOU :-)

Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,014,231 times
The reality of resentment that many people are un-aware of of, is that resentment directed toward another person is HARMFUL to the person with the resentment. Resentment, anger, frustration and similar emotions have all been linked as contributing factors to a variety of physical ailments. Obviously, the physical issues don't develop overnite. Nonetheless, a person with a resentful heart is not only an unhappy person, but also a person highly prone to physical ailments related to to the underlying resentment. Is it really worth planting the seed of a physical ailment, simply because someone from another state moved to the state where you were born?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:48 AM

232 posts, read 785,793 times
I'm in mt. saphire's boat. I might be moving to rural Montana for a job. I'm in no way wealthy, and even if I wanted to "Change" things (I don't) I couldn't anyway. I would do my best to integrate into the community. I want to move to Montana because it's Montana, not because I want to go there and turn it into something else. I want to go there to adopt the Montanan way of life, not just to appreciate the pretty mountains or whatever and then try to live the same way I did back East.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 AM

203 posts, read 497,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttant View Post

Truth is...this can be anywhere USA. People feel a kind of ownership of the place they live, or grew up. If there is not hate for "outsiders", its people from the other side of the tracks, or another race, or another religion, or lack there of. It is what heritage, or original country their ancestors came from. If it is not that, it is because the clothes they wear, or if they drink coke or pepsi. I could go on all day.

The interesting thing I think is the fact that people complain about the next import of immigrants. Lately it has been Mexicans and South Americans. Before it was the Italians, the Germans, the Irish, the Swedes, the Africans, which is funny since they were brought here. You get the point. If I were American Indian, I would be laughing so hard I'd be peeing my pants.

I love the doom and gloom people consistently post. Once I visit a few times, and then move, if I choose to. I will see what all the complaining is about. The hardships. While people ski, or hike, I will be in the bar, at the store, and eatery/diner. Talking to people. Talking to perceptive employers. Business owners. Transplants, and natives alike. I would do this before I move anywhere in the country. You would be foolish not to. Some people may not be able to to this. I understand. I barely can myself. But planning is key. And people use this site for info, and all they run into are the grumpy locals, or non-locals, who share "reality." That is no different than anywhere. If you are going to Montana, please, do. Maybe the future is you, and not the ones who are "stuck" and angry about it.

The question I often think of, is why are the people who express such frustration about the life in Montana stay? Except the few on here who do not actually live in Montana, but have such great knowledge....but why stay if it is so bad? Why don't you pull yourself up by the boot straps and make things better.

• No jobs...sigh...so make your own job. Work 3, if you want to survive, then you find a way.
  • Crime...oh boy...not a spot in the world without it. There is always someone looking for a quick buck, we let politicians do it all the time...
  • GANGS! OMG! Please ... gangs are always a part of American History. I think people forget about the Frontier days...now gather a posse.
  • Foreigners!!! I don't care where you were born, you are always one on this land. Your impact on the environment happened the moment you were conceived.
  • Cost Of Living Seriously.... unless you are off the grid, grow and raise your own food, well your water, then only then will you be happy? I doubt it. It is a fact of life any where.

I wonder is racism is the root of the OP? I noticed there were no complaints about the Eastern Euro/Russian influx as of late.

I mean misery love company right? I'm coming over or coffee.

Last edited by gfunkerror; 05-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: spelz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana