Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 PM

19 posts, read 99,439 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what the cell phone coverage is like up in that area? Many dead spots? I have an AT&T iPhone with 3G. I am not always happy with it in remote areas of California and when I travel along the coast of Oregon. Now, I am concerned when I travel to Montana and east side of Oregon. I am bouncing around switching to Verizon before I start my travels. Any recommendations from all of you up in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 AM

155 posts, read 714,752 times
Alltel and Verizon only......... I don't even think AT&T has much at all coverage outside of Bozeman and maybe Billings. Not sure now but my buddy got out of the marines three years ago and he had sprint, he had to switch because he didn't have any service. Hope this helps, maybe someone could provide better insight.

But over all, everyone I know has Alltell or Verizon.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izeroin View Post
I was just wondering what the cell phone coverage is like up in that area? Many dead spots? I have an AT&T iPhone with 3G. I am not always happy with it in remote areas of California and when I travel along the coast of Oregon. Now, I am concerned when I travel to Montana and east side of Oregon. I am bouncing around switching to Verizon before I start my travels. Any recommendations from all of you up in that area?
In Mission Valley, from Missoula to Flathead Lake, Verizon seems to be the best. I got spotty coverage with At&T, but have since switched to Verizon.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I have Verizon and just traveled from Sheridan Wyoming, up through Busby to Lame Deer, to Coal Strip, to Forsyth and then to Miles City and then dropped down on 12 to Bowman ND. I had service really well in most towns but lacked service between towns. I could get out, but it wasn't reliable.

I had my laptop with me and I have a cell modem on it. My phone could get out but the laptop didn't. Forsyth, Miles City, Lame Deer, Coal Strip had no problems. But signal would die on the laptop about 10 miles out of any of those towns.

Used to run up through Billings to Laural and had good signal all the way from here to Laural. But that was running up I-90.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM

369 posts, read 1,454,716 times
I have respectable service with Alltel - no problems - but I'm not one who feels a need to have one glued to my head 24/7.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
According to the coverage maps, which I just checked again recently, Verizon has far and away the most coverage in MT. (I understand this is because they gobbled up the old Airtouch network.) You will still find plenty of dead spots due to the mountainous terrain, tho.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
I have Alltel and never had a problem traveling around and using my phone, even in rural areas. Most of my friends use Verizon and I think either company is reliable.

In spite of their advertising, AT&T does not really give good service in Bozeman.

iPhones here generally can't get a signal in Montana, unless you want to sit in your car somewhere on the interstate highway near a tower to use it.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM

19 posts, read 99,439 times
Default Thank you, Everyone!

Thank you, Everyone, for the replies. As a female vet getting ready to head out on a highway journey in April, the best cell phone service could be a lifesaver for me, so I just want to have all my bases covered before I start out along the highway up into your parts. My gut is telling me to switch over to Verizon and now all of you nice folks have flipped me over the fence towards my good sense.

I've got more threads to come with questions that are stirring about in my head. I'd so look forward to ya'alls replies in them, as well. I just got to say that I absolutely love this forum and website. It has opened up a huge world for me to connect with others. I really appreciate the replies that come to my threads. Take care to all of you. Warm weather is near, yaaaaa!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
Safe travels.
I hope the trip goes well for you.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Verizon here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana