Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,108,777 times

Advertisements

The State of Montana expects you to slow down and meet the speed requirements when you pass the sign.

Something you might check. Was there a sign that said, "Speed zone ahead", or 35 mph zone ahead, or anything to indicated that the speed was going to change? If there was, he's stuck. If there was not, then you have an argument when you attend court.

If I recall, 10 over on a 35 zone is a $55 forfiture, or you attend court. What's it cost to loose a day of work to attend court?

I got nailed a few months ago for something simalar. Old Decker Highway. goes from 65 to 35 in about 150 ft. But again, it had a sign that said "Reduced speed ahead". I was on the brakes, slowing down and when I got to the sign I was still doing 45 so the HP pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for 10 over. My arguement wouldn't stand up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 12:49 PM

281 posts, read 871,042 times
Thanks Elk

Not sure if there is a reduced speed zone sign where he was caught. Probably pay up and just move on. I notice speed traps set up around Darby and Hamilton too. Lolo doesn't seem to pay much attention. I see cars booming through there around 40 - 50 when it's 35 once you hit town. Now how do these people get away with it! lol

Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,188,783 times
The speed limit applies at the point of the sign and beyond. You DON'T get a grace distance where you can slow down AFTER the sign. Far as I know, it's *legally* that way everywhere, tho enforcement varies. It IS generally illegal to place speed limit change signs so they cannot be readily seen by motorists, tho I've heard of incidents where a sign hidden in the bushes was nonetheless enforced.

Don't rely on a sign applying to both sides of the road, either. Here in Lancaster CA, there are numerous stretches where the speed limit differs depending on which side of the street (ie. which direction) you're driving, so if you're going the other direction ON THE SAME STREET, the speed limit is different. I asked a highway patrol dude about this, and he told me it's because sometimes a zone boundary goes down the middle of the street, so one side of the street is in one zone (frex, residential) and the other side is in some other zone (frex, industrial), and the speed limit guidelines differ for each. He agreed it's nuts, but that's how it is.

BTW go to TheNewspaper.Com: Front Page for all sorts of info about issues that affect drivers (most notably camera enforcement).

Old 03-04-2008, 12:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,484,749 times
I was gonna say it might have been a speed trap type thing.
That happened to me when I was driving in West Palm Florida on I-95,the speed was like 65 and as soon as you hit the city limits it seemed that the speed dropped way down to 55. Now this is I-95 where most times 65 seems like the Minimum speed! So that seemed to me like some sort of trap.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:00 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,188,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I got nailed a few months ago for something simalar. Old Decker Highway. goes from 65 to 35 in about 150 ft. But again, it had a sign that said "Reduced speed ahead". I was on the brakes, slowing down and when I got to the sign I was still doing 45 so the HP pulled me over and wrote me a ticket for 10 over. My arguement wouldn't stand up in court.
Actually, if the distance between the "reduced speed ahead" and/or the visiblity of the 35mph limit sign was not adequate, per DOT guidelines, for an average vehicle to slow down by the point of enforcement -- then you DO have a case.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Actually, if the distance between the "reduced speed ahead" and/or the visiblity of the 35mph limit sign was not adequate, per DOT guidelines, for an average vehicle to slow down by the point of enforcement -- then you DO have a case.
haha I wouldn't doubt it. But in this case, the Judge said, "You don't have a case." haha So I just forfited my $55 and went on with life.

By the way, there is adiquate room to slow down and I could have. But a two lane road, at 11:30 at night coming to a crossing. That stretch of $35 is in the middle of nowhere and it's because of an Equipment Crossing from the West side of the Highway to the East side of the Highway. I might add, an equipment crossing that was used years ago until the coal mine on the East side shut down several years ago. But that excuse didn't work either. haha

Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times
To expand further, tickets in MT are considered revenue and as such your guilty if you're inocent and guilty if you're guilty. In other words you can pay the fine or take a day off and pay the fine. Also, which freaked out my wife, all violations are misdemeanors in MT punishable by jail AND a fine, no infractions here.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM

And, they are not forgiving. When I got that ticket, I was driving back and forth to Mt. 6 or 7 times a day on that same road. But I live in Wyoming. When the trooper stopped me he said, "That will be $55 bond please." I kinda laughed and said, "What if I don't have $55 on me?" He said, "Not a problem, I take you to Harden and put you in jail until your day of court." And he didn't smile when he said it.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,484,749 times
Wait,you can go to jail for speeding and also if you don't have the $$ on you?
Sounds like something they'd do in the deep south!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Wait,you can go to jail for speeding and also if you don't have the $$ on you?
Sounds like something they'd do in the deep south!
Because I had an out of state license. If I was a resident, not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana