Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 07:29 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,480,181 times

Advertisements

I had been thinking of Billings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM

92 posts, read 388,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
You wanna stay home? Well that's how I feel here in the big city so what's the point of me moving to MT if it's the same fast pace(other than the room)?
Gee, in Colstrip, if you have to wait for more than 30 seconds to either get on hwy39 or cross it, it's a traffic jam. We don't have any stop lights either. The only thing that you might have to wait for is a train at two spots in town and you can always take another route to get to your destination.

Our pay here is great compared to other MT towns and were only two hours from Billings. Having lived in Billings myself, I don't like the traffic one bit. Las Vegas traffic is more sane and functional. Invariably we get stuck either behind a slow granny/grampy or in front of a crazed teen/semi-truck driver that "owns" the road. And red lights mean that it is okay to keep going. We don't ever start moving as soon as a light turns green without checking both ways and for cars in the turn lane opposite of you. I belive in driving the speed limit and it that is too slow/fast for some too bad, change the law.

Last edited by A Neighbor; 09-18-2007 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-18-2007, 03:04 PM

I guess that fast pace is what I'm trying to get away from,but again I do like all the open space out there.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 AM

92 posts, read 388,667 times
There are plenty of other mid size towns like Miles City that have jobs, open space and a bit slower lifestyle than Billings. If you start looking at towns that are about 1.5 hour drive from Billings you start to get to the areas of MT that are open and slower paced. (We learn that you really don't get anywhere any faster by making the long drive to Billings to get some things that our towns don't offer.) As a whole MT is a slower paced lifestyle than a lot of other places, you just have to look a little more closely. Open space to me is seeing more open land than houses, while to others it may be the ablility to have a 1/2 acre lot. It is all in the eye of the beholder.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,413,836 times
The speed is OK the cops suck there thou, even a traffic judge says that Montana is a joke when it comes to traffic citations.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,960 times
Billings is WAY too fast paced for us....and Bozeman is quickly becoming the same way, so much so that folks around here started calling it "Bozangeles"

Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLiving View Post
Billings is WAY too fast paced for us....and Bozeman is quickly becoming the same way, so much so that folks around here started calling it "Bozangeles"
So basically Montana is now entirely being taken over by Californians?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM

777 posts, read 3,199,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
So basically Montana is now entirely being taken over by Californians?

I kinda doubt it Heck we can't even sell our houses here now, with the market crash.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM

20 posts, read 65,692 times
The one Montana driving experience that still freaks me out (Montana native, go back and drive through as frequently as possible, love everything about still) is dealing with the 6+% grades on the interstate west of Missoula. I find myself hurtling downhill, doing 80+mph and desperately trying to not be killed by those rigs pulling 2 (or 3?) trailers behind them. THAT is flat scary! I have no grudge against the truckers...our family has always been involved in one way or another, but understanding doesn't stop the adrenaline!

Another funny (on me). Back in the 80's I was visiting family in the NE corner, and on one of my several trips back and forth on highway 16 between Culbertson and Sidney I was doing a smooth 70 or something like that (2 lane highway, but 2 vehicles in an hour or something!). Naturally, the law was sitting somewhere and came out to pursue me. I knew I was caught dead to rights, so just stopped as quickly as possible, was courteous to the nice officer, gave him my California driver's license and anticipated making courteous small talk as we wrapped up the ticket signing, etc. Then as he walked up to my window with the little clipboard with the ticket and to return my driver's license, he said, "That'll be $5." I'm sorry to report I stared at him and said, "You have GOT to be kidding." He was not kidding. He was dead serious. I was about to bust up laughing as the shock receded and, I'm sorry to say, I did have to ask because the smallest bill I had was a twenty, "Do you have change?" I really thought I was going to lose it. Of course, he had change!! This was during the years when the Montana was delightfully stiffing the feds by refusing to charge high prices for speeding tickets but knew they had to issue the tickets in order to receive highway grant funds. So I paid the nice man my $5 and went on my way, laughing my head off.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:01 PM

20 posts, read 65,692 times
I've got to edit my posts more carefully!!....in the one just above (I think, unless somebody beats me through here!)...I meant the "Montana legislature was delighting stiffing the Feds..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana