Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 28,138 times

Advertisements

My wife and i will be visiting Montreal in late April for 4 days. Will be travelling from NYC to Gare Centrale via Amtrak (so no car). Any good areas/neighborhoods close to the station to live in (not too expensive hotels). We were considering the Days Inn (215, boul. René-Lévesque est) but noticed mixed reviews. So any inputs will be appreciated - as well as areas to stay away from especially at night (after 10 PM), since this will be our first visit. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 04:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
The train station is in the downtown sector so just walk out the train station and you are there,.
As for 10pm? thats about the time the city starts waking up..Rene Levesque St is mostly business orientated so its a bit dull after 6-7pm but a block north is St Catherine st. which is much more lively..

Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM

408 posts, read 608,220 times
I would check out smaller hotels, B&B style places in the plateau or old port. Speaking of which, Plateau Mont-royal would be a great place to stay for a few days. Great cafés and breakfasts, great energy in the streets; perfect way to start your day expeditions. Old Montreal more charming and picturesque, though.

Trip advisor hasn't let me down in my travels, so look here maybe for hotel?

Places to avoid: none. I mean there are some but Montreal isn't like NY where you sometimes have to pass by shady areas to reach major attractions. Just keep in mind, if visiting the olympic stadium/botanical gardens that they are located in a fairly impoverished (relatively) part of town so being there at night (I cant see why you would be) wouldn't be the most settling of feelings.
But really, Montreal is VERY safe.

Oh and no matter what, avoid all hotels on St-Hubert between st-catherine and Maisonneuve. That mini-section of downtown is awful. Not dangerous but gross.

Montreal is a phenomenal city! Enjoy your stay.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:17 AM

27 posts, read 97,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptcloe View Post
My wife and i will be visiting Montreal in late April for 4 days. Will be travelling from NYC to Gare Centrale via Amtrak (so no car). Any good areas/neighborhoods close to the station to live in (not too expensive hotels). We were considering the Days Inn (215, boul. René-Lévesque est) but noticed mixed reviews. So any inputs will be appreciated - as well as areas to stay away from especially at night (after 10 PM), since this will be our first visit. Thanks.
Places I'll stay at close to Gare Central are the
Marriott Chateau Champlain, and a B&B called Petite auberge Les Bons Matins.
The Marriot is very convienent to Gare Central, has its own entrance to the underground city, but it is also quite pricey, around $200+ a night. The B&B is near Centre Bell, across from lucien l'allier Metro Station, rates are around $129 to $149 for 2 guests (check out thier web site). The stay here also includes an excellent full breakfast.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 9,060 times
marriot residence inn is located not too far from the central station also you have the Fairmount or Queen Elizabeth hotel that is right on top of the Gare Central.

You will be right on Rene Levesque and u can go visit Eaton Centre which is at a walking distance from the Gare Central.

You can go eat at the old port at the Steak & Frites

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,292,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shownow View Post
marriot residence inn is located not too far from the central station also you have the Fairmount or Queen Elizabeth hotel that is right on top of the Gare Central.

You will be right on Rene Levesque and u can go visit Eaton Centre which is at a walking distance from the Gare Central.

You can go eat at the old port at the Steak & Frites
Just to avoid any confusion, the Fairmont is the Queen Elizabeth - officially called Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth or Fairmont Le Reine Elizabeth.
Nice hotel, excellent location. Montreal Hotels: Luxury Montreal Hotel at Fairmont

Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Also the word Gare is French for Station..

Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,087,805 times
You can find PLENTY of advice, here, including frank customer reviews of hotels and restaurants, and tourist attractions Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor

Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM

110 posts, read 621,168 times
The Day's INN on René-Lévesque is not that bad but it offers no charms and is on the edge of Downtown on the east. Nothing wrong but depending on what kinf of experience you are seeking for than many other choices are available.

For the ultimate charm look for the old Montreal.
Vieux-Montréal : site officiel

For a pure local atmosphere look for a B&B on the Plateau.

For a place centrally located then around Central station will do it.

For something a bit different and also well located but not as expensive than the big Marriott of Hilton then you might look at this one:
Rooms | Zero1 Montreal

For other interesting information look up this site:

Traveller | Tourism Montreal

Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM

35 posts, read 93,626 times
Hi! I will also be visiting Montreal for the first time, probably this summer, and need some tips!
Me and my girlfriend will be, lets say, on a pretty tight budget and will be renting a car( from Poughkeepsie, NY) so is free parking out of the question downtown?
What are the best affordable attractions(gardens, museums)? and i hear of an underground city?
PS We speak English, Italian and a little Spanish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal