Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 10:11 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,038,966 times

Advertisements

I was considering a trip this summer to Montreal and Quebec City. I was reading a thread on cruise critic where cruisers were cautioned about rioting going on in Montreal. I've always wanted to learn more about the different provinces in Canada and Quebec seemed so fascinating due to the French influence. Is it safe to visit Montreal this summer or should I hold off due to unrest? Please advise. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM

277 posts, read 786,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I was considering a trip this summer to Montreal and Quebec City. I was reading a thread on cruise critic where cruisers were cautioned about rioting going on in Montreal. I've always wanted to learn more about the different provinces in Canada and Quebec seemed so fascinating due to the French influence. Is it safe to visit Montreal this summer or should I hold off due to unrest? Please advise. Thanks.

100% safe. Witnessing some of the protests might even add to the cultural experience.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:26 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,832,235 times
I've been up to Montreal three times since the protests started, most recently a couple weeks ago. You have nothing to worry about. None of the protesters/rioters are targeting people and it seems at worst are just breaking windows. I'm sure someone there would have more knowledge but having spent enough time in LA I still feel safer in Montreal with riots ongoing than I do in several areas in LA.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Totally safe. They're university students protesting tuition increases, not race riots or anything like that. As far as I know they haven't hurt anybody, and I doubt they will. Just stay out of the way if you see a protest and enjoy the rest of the city. The most you can expect is to be inconvenienced by them blocking up traffic.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 AM

Thanks guys for your response ... I'm still trying to decide my options

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Its perfectly safe here in Montreal, ignore media portrayals of rioting in the streets as thats not whats going on,its basically thousands of kids out having fun every night playing cat and mouse games with the police,its a happening says my 2 university student daughters,if you do see a "student protest/parade" while here in Montreal do join in,you'll meet many nice people and have some fun at the same time its like a big street party, just stay away from the idiots in masks who like to throw things at windows....

Last edited by jambo101; 05-24-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its perfectly safe here in Montreal, ignore media portrayals of rioting in the streets as thats not whats going on,its basically thousands of kids out having fun every night playing cat and mouse games with the police,its a happening says my 2 university student daughters,if you do see a "student protest/parade" while here in Montreal do join in,you'll meet many nice people and have some fun at the same time its like a big street party, just stay away from the idiots in masks who like to throw things at windows....
I think I'll pass ...

Old 05-24-2012, 12:20 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Canada is a big place, try the Maritimes in the east or British Columbia in the west as alternatives...

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Canada is a big place, try the Maritimes in the east or British Columbia in the west as alternatives...
I was thinking of Toronto and Niagara Falls ... Or even Vancouver ... I really wanted to do Montreal but don't wish to be caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Protests can and do have the tendency of getting violent and I don't wish to compromise my safety, especially in a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal