Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,464,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
After moving here from NY, my daughters started in grade 3 and Kindergarten at river-view immersion program. My elder one struggled all the time in french whereas younger has no issues at all because she started early. That is the reason I am looking for English program with french as SL for elder one where as for younger one I don't really have to worry much.
When I moved here, I had the impression that "kids pick up language fast" - at least at the elementary age. I am surprised at how many students don't speak after a year. At the same time, small Chinese girls (primary-first grade) speak impeccably nasal French after 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 02:44 PM

123 posts, read 332,852 times
Yes my daughter received the forms at school (River view of LB Pearson). Its an application form with the list of the scools and we need to mention the preferences in the form. This is exactly the form we received.

http://beurling.lbpsb.qc.ca/docs/uev..._2014_2015.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Oh great, thank you. Good luck to your daughter. Mine will take the exam tomorrow. Also going there for the experience. We'll have some time to study with the help of these links this afternoon. I haven't scheduled a visit with Westmount High yet, your info sounds optimistic.

We are with the Montreal school board, so I didn't quite understand you mentioning receiving some forms - was it info about LB Pearson schools and dates for admissions? I started acting on my own for some reason, reading about high schools in Mtl and got to learn about all this happening a year in advance ! (Was surprised, too). My daughter haven't received any forms, I have to ask the school.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:51 PM

Exactly and everyone told me the same. Somehow my daughter struggled to cope up with french , especially science in french language. Even though I can easily say that she is above average than everyone in the class. French is not something like language from different planet, its a same language family as English but I have to say its not that easy or is it that methods are wrong I am not really sure.

Focus on the practice tests from 2nd to 4th link. I hear that exam is quite similar. Math is bit tough so put extra emphasis on that.

Quote:
When I moved here, I had the impression that "kids pick up language fast" - at least at the elementary age. I am surprised at how many students don't speak after a year. At the same time, small Chinese girls (primary-first grade) speak impeccably nasal French after 6 months.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Exactly and everyone told me the same. Somehow my daughter struggled to cope up with french , especially science in french language. Even though I can easily say that she is above average than everyone in the class.
Lightbulb moment. Maybe Acajack was talking about bilingual schools, like yours, which do have subjects. Maybe they have bilingual schools with similar methodology in the Gatineau area, with Ottawa so close by. Montreal has a mammoth French school board, who does things its own way, stripping kids of subjects.

Quote:
French is not something like language from different planet, its a same language family as English but I have to say its not that easy or is it that methods are wrong I am not really sure.
In my observation, they go slowly and gently, may be too gently. Maybe they want to save teaching jobs, too. With the language tightening rules for immigrants, there seem to be less children in the welcome classes, too.

Quote:
Focus on the practice tests from 2nd to 4th link. I hear that exam is quite similar. Math is bit tough so put extra emphasis on that.
Thanks.
Did she also have to write an English composition?

Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Yes my daughter received the forms at school (River view of LB Pearson). Its an application form with the list of the scools and we need to mention the preferences in the form. This is exactly the form we received.

http://beurling.lbpsb.qc.ca/docs/uev..._2014_2015.pdf
Thanks for this. The LB Pearson website has only 2013 information, - or my browser ends up there consistently.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:25 PM

She did have English essay, analogies and comprehension .

Quote:
Lightbulb moment. Maybe Acajack was talking about bilingual schools, like yours, which do have subjects. Maybe they have bilingual schools with similar methodology in the Gatineau area, with Ottawa so close by. Montreal has a mammoth French school board, who does things its own way, stripping kids of subjects.

In my observation, they go slowly and gently, may be too gently. Maybe they want to save teaching jobs, too. With the language tightening rules for immigrants, there seem to be less children in the welcome classes, too.

Thanks.
Did she also have to write an English composition?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
She did have English essay, analogies and comprehension .
She had math, logic, English and French essays today. She denies having any comprehension.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:58 PM

This is interesting! I just asked her again and she says she did have English analogies and comprehension along with Maths, logical reasoning and essays in both languages. Wondering why the difference in the exam pattern?

Quote:
She had math, logic, English and French essays today. She denies having any comprehension.

Last edited by girish; 10-19-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Just to clarify, your daughter had essays in both languages, too?
Could you give an example of "English analogies and comprehension"? My daughter keeps denying having it, and rather asks me back, what it is.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Yes, she had essays in both languages. Apart from that there was a test containing comprehension, verbal reasoning and analogies.

she says comprehension was exatly like this (paragraphs and questions) http://downloads.ivyglobal.com/ssat/...ng_section.pdf

verbal reasoning and analogies was exactly like this(analogies on page 5) http://downloads.ivyglobal.com/ssat/...al_section.pdf

Quote:
Just to clarify, your daughter had essays in both languages, too?
Could you give an example of "English analogies and comprehension"? My daughter keeps denying having it, and rather asks me back, what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal