Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:39 PM

123 posts, read 332,944 times

Advertisements

She also says that there was a delegation from Beurling visited her school last Friday and they did a presentation on what programs they offer including emohasis on inyernational bachelorette program as well as other facilities that school offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish View Post
Yes my daughter received the forms at school (River view of LB Pearson). Its an application form with the list of the scools and we need to mention the preferences in the form. This is exactly the form we received.

http://beurling.lbpsb.qc.ca/docs/uev..._2014_2015.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Lightbulb moment. Maybe Acajack was talking about bilingual schools, like yours, which do have subjects. Maybe they have bilingual schools with similar methodology in the Gatineau area, with Ottawa so close by. Montreal has a mammoth French school board, who does things its own way, stripping kids of subjects.
No I was talking about French first schools run by the French language school board.

What girish seems to be describing is French immersion schools (all or some topics in French, science, math, history, etc. often only except for the English language itself - grammar, writing, etc.) but which are run by the English school boards. There are varying degrees of French in these schools though. Some are partial French immersion, some are full immersion. I'd say most are full immersion though.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:15 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,466,713 times
Quote:
Yes, she had essays in both languages. Apart from that there was a test containing comprehension, verbal reasoning and analogies.

she says comprehension was exatly like this (paragraphs and questions) http://downloads.ivyglobal.com/ssat/...ng_section.pdf

verbal reasoning and analogies was exactly like this(analogies on page 5) http://downloads.ivyglobal.com/ssat/...al_section.pdf
Daughter said yes, she had them.
Kids.....

Old 10-20-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
She also says that there was a delegation from Beurling visited her school last Friday and they did a presentation on what programs they offer including emohasis on inyernational bachelorette program as well as other facilities that school offers.
We'll see the facilities on the 23rd. It would be interesting to compare both Beurling and Westmount High, who both offer AP. And further compare to Villa Maria, who stresses "leadership", with trips and self-awareness programs. Beurling students seem to be going on trips, as well. Also, I haven't settled on whether girls-only or co-ed will suit us better.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No I was talking about French first schools run by the French language school board.

What girish seems to be describing is French immersion schools (all or some topics in French, science, math, history, etc. often only except for the English language itself - grammar, writing, etc.) but which are run by the English school boards. There are varying degrees of French in these schools though. Some are partial French immersion, some are full immersion. I'd say most are full immersion though.
Were you talking about French school board in Gatineau- Outaouais?

Yes, I understood girish, there are different degrees of French immersion in English schools here. But it made me think that maybe French school board also has different approaches to welcome classes, in your area, for example. I already explained their approach here.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Were you talking about French school board in Gatineau- Outaouais?

Yes, I understood girish, there are different degrees of French immersion in English schools here. But it made me think that maybe French school board also has different approaches to welcome classes, in your area, for example. I already explained their approach here.
Yes, a French language school here in Gatineau. I suppose that school boards may manage the classe d'accueil system according to the clientele they have in their various schools. We have quite a few immigrants at our school but most of the kids already speak French when they start school either because they have been in the daycare system, or because they are from Lebanon, Algeria, Morocco or francophone Africa.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Ah, so that concludes the entrance papers were same. I think they all follow the SSAT pattern.

So were you able to visit open house at Beurling? What is your take and impression? We really wanted to visit the open house but we could not because that evening was our most important festival of Diwali.

Quote:
Daughter said yes, she had them.
Kids.....

Old 10-28-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ah, so that concludes the entrance papers were same. I think they all follow the SSAT pattern.

So were you able to visit open house at Beurling? What is your take and impression? We really wanted to visit the open house but we could not because that evening was our most important festival of Diwali.
Yes, we went to the open house. Overall, we are on the fence. I know it will sound silly, but the fact that they had it at night did affect the school perception. I am wondering how it would have been if the sun were streaming into the windows, instead of the darkness. I asked my daughter to disregard this, but she was clearly not comfortable. The people were enthusiastic, did a performance of martial arts. We listened to a presentation about IB. I was struck that about 70% of information that I retained was about community service (10-20 hours a year). I don't remember info about academics, how could that be? There were 3 past students, who study now at master's level at various English-speaking universities (McGill, Concordia), who were sincere in saying that they liked the school.

Next, Westmount High tour next week, and we will have to decide.

PS: had to google Diwali. :-)

Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the update. We will get the chance to visit the school on the day of exam on Nov 1. Hopefully they also have mini open house on that day just like Villa Maria had. I also hear lot about community service and extra curricular activities. My daughter is more inclined towers Beurling because most of her freinds will be going there. It is going to be a challenge to convince her if we decide to chose other school. So far Villa Maria and West Mount HS is on the top of our list.

Oh Diwali no worries many people all around the world outside subcontinent didn't know about Diwali only until in recent years prominent world leaders started Diwali light up and celebration in the House.

Links JFYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIxWc3Pbz1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9K1MhipHTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MO1kywF6mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUYHIZjMAF8

Quote:
Yes, we went to the open house. Overall, we are on the fence. I know it will sound silly, but the fact that they had it at night did affect the school perception. I am wondering how it would have been if the sun were streaming into the windows, instead of the darkness. I asked my daughter to disregard this, but she was clearly not comfortable. The people were enthusiastic, did a performance of martial arts. We listened to a presentation about IB. I was struck that about 70% of information that I retained was about community service (10-20 hours a year). I don't remember info about academics, how could that be? There were 3 past students, who study now at master's level at various English-speaking universities (McGill, Concordia), who were sincere in saying that they liked the school.

Next, Westmount High tour next week, and we will have to decide.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I learned about Diwali about five years ago from one of my kids who was taught about it in the éthique et culture religieuse class.

It's a very compelling story for kids: Rama has to go heroically rescue his wife Sita and all the animals of the world help him to defeat the bad guys.

Anyway, my kids thought it was really cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal