Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 05:17 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Oh it's staying haha, there is a reason why they knocked everything else but Cleo's on their side of the block. Although it is pretty funny to have a government office of 800 employees, a food hall with ~40 restos and possibly a hotel all next door to an iconic strip club. That's the most Montreal thing ever and I love it haha.
Yeah that block has changed almost entirely from what it was 15 years ago. It looks so different on google street view. I am glad too see the development in that area, it has changed for the better obviously but Im glad a piece of what it was before has remained. I wonder if cleopatres will survive this covid crisis? Will it still be the same vibe as before? Even if the bar closes I hope the building and sign remain as a historic landmark, lol. The first time I went in there I accidentally walked up the second floor......I got out of there as fast as I could. lol

Sorry for the off topic.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-21-2021 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 06:04 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah that block has changed almost entirely from what it was 15 years ago. It looks so different on google street view. I amd glad too see the development in that area, it has changed for the better obviously but Im glad a piece of what it was before has remained. I wonder if cleopatres will survive this covid crisis? Will it still be the same vibe as before? Even if the bar closes I hope the building and sign remain as a historic landmark, lol. The first time I went in there I accidentally walked up the second floor......I got out of there as fast as I could. lol

Sorry for the off topic.
Nah no worries haha, I hope it stays around too. It is a Montreal institution after all, plus in a historic building. I do think it will survive the covid crisis, the smaller strip clubs seem to be surviving at the moment, so I expect Cleo's to continue to succeed after.

Also the second floor LOL! I remember pranking my good friend with that, said he would get extra special lap dances for a small fee. He was not impressed with me after haha.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:23 AM

Former Fir Tree partner said to start $500 million Montreal fund

Quote:
A former executive at Fir Tree Capital Management is starting a new hedge fund based in Montreal, seeking to raise US$500 million to put into event-driven investments, including restructuring and activist situations, according to people familiar with the matter
https://financialpost.com/news/fp-st...-montreal-fund

Today

Converium Capital : un nouveau fonds d’investissement à Montréal (will be located at 1250 R.L)

https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/202...a-montreal.php

Old 01-22-2021, 04:08 PM

A Toqué and Au Pied de Cochon Alum Is Planning a New Restaurant in a Downtown Condo Tower (condo tower will be Humaniti)

Quote:
DOWNTOWN — A new restaurant specializing in local cuisine will be landing in the newly minted (though seemingly still under construction) high-rise Humaniti condo tower on Bleury street this spring. Restaurant h3 comes from chef Jean-Sébastien Giguère, an alum of such Montreal icons as Toqué! and Au Pied de Cochon, and more recently at the helm of off-island spots like bistro Coureur des Bois in Beloeil and its sugar shack counterpart, La Cabane du Coureur in Saint-Marc-sur-Richelieu. He’s joined by sommelier Hugo Duschesne, also from Coureur des Bois, and winner of the 2020 “Meilleur Sommelier du Québec” contest.
https://montreal.eater.com/2021/1/21...laume-tinc-set

Old 01-25-2021, 09:17 AM

Really love seeing how there is still confidence to invest downtown even during a pandemic! Point Zero to build a 278 rental tower downtown. Ground level will be home to three commercial spaces (either restaurant/retail mix). Rent will be between $2K for a one bedroom and $3.75K for a two bedroom (which I get it is downtown, but wow)

Le propriétaire de Point Zero bâtira une tour de près de 300 logements

https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/202...-logements.php

Old 01-27-2021, 09:18 AM

AspenTech chooses Montréal for AI and Internet of Things

Quote:
Aspen Technology chooses Montréal for its new AIoT Hub, which will serve as an industrial Centre of Excellence for artificial intelligence and industrial Internet of Things.

AspenTech has had a foothold in Montréal since it acquired Mnubo in July 2019. The Montréal office will therefore be home to AspenTech’s newest business unit in a booming sector. The company will be looking to fill up to 30 positions to support this investment in Industry 4.0
https://www.montrealinternational.co...net-of-things/

Old 01-29-2021, 02:48 PM

A cool little map of all the new developments in the Eastern part of downtown Montreal. If all projects go through, we will see 5,500+ units added to the area along with offices, retail, entertainment options, etc.

file:///C:/Users/WZ/Downloads/2199-sainte-catherine-est-34483.pdf

Old 01-31-2021, 02:46 PM

A New Omakase-Style Sushi Restaurant Takes the Stage in Downtown Montreal

Quote:
While several Montreal sushi restaurants, such as Park, Ôkini, and Hidden Fish (just a couple doors down), have offered an omakase component, Matsuda says Okeya Kyujiro will be the only one to operate exclusively in the traditional Japanese “leave it to the chef” omakase style of dining.

His version will see approximately 20 customers per night — split in two rounds of 10, all perched around a wrap-around wooden counter encasing chefs expertly crafting dishes from start to finish — for a two-hour, 20-course experience, concluding with a tea ceremony. The restaurant will offer one menu per night coming in at about $150 to $200 per head.
https://montreal.eater.com/2021/1/4/...-okeya-kyujiro

Old 02-01-2021, 08:15 AM

Quick posts before I'm off break

1. I mentioned a few weeks after REM phase 2 was announced that CDP is exploring phase 3 for Laval. Turns out they've also submitted a request to Longueuil. This is phenomenal since they're working on a new downtown by 2033-2035 along with other areas along the route of Phase 1 and 2. Of course this is long term so don't expect anything at this moment.

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/g...-l-horizon.php

2. Another La Presse article that talks about foreign investment reducing by 69% in the developed countries. However, Montreal International will be posting their numbers soon, and despite the fact that developed countries saw a huge reduction in foreign investment, Montreal seems to have not been affected at all. So keep an eye out for this!

https://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/4f3...internal+share

Old 02-01-2021, 04:04 PM

Really awesome graphic on how large the tech scene is in Quebec (with most of it being in Montreal). MTL International will be helping people with startups/recruiting people to immigrate here as well. Lots of big things in store for Montreal

(MTL as of 2019 has 141,600 tech jobs according to CBRE tech talent reports)

Montreal ecosystem map (not all listed but wow) and it will continue to expand.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal