Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 12:51 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkB View Post
So I've been quietly looking at this forum while making my decision on where to open my startup, so it was a huge influence. I'm so impressed with everything happening in the city, I've always heard negative things about it. Then I see the posts here, all the investments and businesses opening up and it's non stop. SO seeing this was another factor as to why I chose Montreal to open my gaming startup company. Looking forward to contributing to the city!
Super excited that you chose Montreal! Congratulations and I look forward to hopefully seeing you around in the future. If you need anything else just send me a PM.

slow news lately but some updates from the Royalmount project

- Now scheduled for summer 2023 (no idea if they mean completion or start of the project)
- Units scaled down from 4,500 to 3,000 but there will still be 50 story condos going up.
- 30 to 40% of commercial space is already leased!
- Louis Vuitton is a partner in the project and is expected to open a 10,000 sq. ft store.

I'm sure the plans changed but here is what was last proposed and being shown on Colliers

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...-luxe-montreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 01:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Impressive. Where exactly will that be?

Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Impressive. Where exactly will that be?
It'll be next to the 15 and 40 where TMR and NDG/CDG all meet up. If the project goes through in full, this will be our "official" Midtown really.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM

OK I see now, its where the Decarie meets the 40. Took me a minute to figure out. I was thinking that was in the south west area.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:58 PM

Looks like they already started working on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5017...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-02-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Looks like they already started working on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5017...7i16384!8i8192
They're going ahead with the mall portion but the residential portion will be hard to pull off IMO. Not only is it not zoned for residential, but they want to add multiple 50 story towers and all high end with no social housing. Plante has hated this project since day 1 and has tried to derail it. I've tried to persuade her in our interactions, but she always shows her anti-capitalist/anti-development side when I do haha.

This will also create (if approved in full) a lot of competition between a new Midtown and downtown, so I wonder how the dynamics will be with this.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
They're going ahead with the mall portion but the residential portion will be hard to pull off IMO. Not only is it not zoned for residential, but they want to add multiple 50 story towers and all high end with no social housing.Plante has hated this project since day 1 and has tried to derail it. I've tried to persuade her in our interactions, but she always shows her anti-capitalist/anti-development side when I do haha.

This will also create (if approved in full) a lot of competition between a new Midtown and downtown, so I wonder how the dynamics will be with this.
Maybe a little competition with downtown is good. That area along decarie towards St Luarent always seemed a little depressing to me. I used to live across the Decarie in TMR for a few years, not too far from where this project will be. I also lived further down decarie close to snowdon. I just looked at google street view, its crazy how much that area has changed! So much has gone up since I ve been there.

The social housing part is tricky. I understand its good to have more but we can't expect every private developer to invest in it.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:36 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post

I don't think it will change things TOO much. If anything, hopefully downtown will keep up its current pace, or even increase it, in an effort to maintain activity there.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't think it will change things TOO much. If anything, hopefully downtown will keep up its current pace, or even increase it, in an effort to maintain activity there.
It will! behind the scenes I've been trying to convince the current admin to formally expand the downtown boundaries as outlined in the downtown strategy and to bump up height limits. I've also written to the government of Quebec to designate downtown as a special economic zone, so we can get more investments. There's still a lot of demand to invest, work, live and play downtown, however, I want to accelerate that further.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:06 PM

The international organization Future Earth is leveraging digital innovations to achieve global sustainability
Quote:
The potential of digital solutions in fighting global crises such as COVID-19 or achieving global sustainability is broad. But how can technological trends, such as artificial intelligence, be harnessed to change our approach to social justice and climate action? To find answers, the Montréal Hub of Future Earth is announcing the next steps of the Sustainability in the Digital Age (SDA) initiative, with the appointment of Dr. Éliane Ubalijoro as its new executive director, and the creation of five new positions.
Quote:
“Montréal boasts the highest community of international organizations in North America, after New York and Washington. We are proud to assist an organization such as Future Earth in carrying out its valuable mission to achieve global sustainability. Montréal has a rich history in artificial intelligence and technology research, and it is exciting to see it intersect on the significant issue of global sustainability.”
https://www.montrealinternational.co...ustainability/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal