Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: REM vs. Montreal Metro: which do you prefer?
REM 4 57.14%
Montreal Metro 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 09:21 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Baseball will always be America's pastime, but for Montreal, not Toronto, to host Canada's first ever baseball team must have a been a special moment, especially since baseball was still very popular back in the 1960s and 1970s, .
At the time (1969), Montreal was still Canada's largest city and had just hosted the world's fair (Expo 67) and would host the Summer Olympics seven years later in 1976. (Two types of events that Toronto has still never hosted.)

It was to most people probably a given that Montreal would get most "firsts" in Canada back then.

Of course Toronto is larger now and has gotten many "Canadian firsts" in recent decades but even today Montreal in its mind doesn't really compete with Toronto as much as people think it would. For better or for worse.

There is still there very much the mindset of longtime Montreal mayor Jean Drapeau, who once said: "Toronto can very well be Milan, but Montreal will always be Rome."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 07:19 PM

258 posts, read 291,382 times
Well back to the topic of Metro, I'm genuinely surprised that lines 3, 6, and 7 haven't been brought up. I know REM wants to copy part of Line 3, and the Mascouche Line does part of 6, but I can't for the life of me understand why aside from what assume is political hoo-haw between Anglophones and Francophones no one has brought up restoring these lines... if anything Montreal should look at Boston and Philadelphia and have a system like the MBTA Green Line or the Subway Surface Trolley system... plus wasn't someone here earlier talking about a trolley as well? Line 7 was going to be LRT anyways... there's your trolley there!

Old 01-11-2023, 07:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post
Well back to the topic of Metro, I'm genuinely surprised that lines 3, 6, and 7 haven't been brought up. I know REM wants to copy part of Line 3, and the Mascouche Line does part of 6, but I can't for the life of me understand why aside from what assume is political hoo-haw between Anglophones and Francophones no one has brought up restoring these lines... if anything Montreal should look at Boston and Philadelphia and have a system like the MBTA Green Line or the Subway Surface Trolley system... plus wasn't someone here earlier talking about a trolley as well? Line 7 was going to be LRT anyways... there's your trolley there!

Ah, Line 3 the Red Line (Ligne Rouge), the line that never came to be built. Truth be told, it was not the best idea back then because a large of portion of Line 3 was above ground whereas all the other lines were entirely below ground and fear of vehicle deterioration due to elements meant that the STM would have had to order an entirely different set of vehicles just for that line. Still, now that the STM is seemingly experimenting with new ideas, I don't see the problem of reviving Line 3 either.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Well back to the topic of Metro, I'm genuinely surprised that lines 3, 6, and 7 haven't been brought up. I know REM wants to copy part of Line 3, and the Mascouche Line does part of 6, but I can't for the life of me understand N why aside from what assume is political hoo-haw between Anglophones and Francophones no one has brought up restoring these lines... if anything Montreal should look at Boston and Philadelphia and have a system like the MBTA Green Line or the Subway Surface Trolley system... plus wasn't someone here earlier talking about a trolley as well? Line 7 was going to be LRT anyways... there's your trolley there!
Anglophone-francophone brouhaha would be extremely rare in debates over Montreal transit planning and development. Not really a factor.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anglophone-francophone brouhaha would be extremely rare in debates over Montreal transit planning and development. Not really a factor.
Well I remember it being one of the reasons why the Blue Line is so dinky and why Snowden is the way it is (technically only 3 of the 4 platforms being usable)

Old 01-12-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Ah, Line 3 the Red Line (Ligne Rouge), the line that never came to be built. Truth be told, it was not the best idea back then because a large of portion of Line 3 was above ground whereas all the other lines were entirely below ground and fear of vehicle deterioration due to elements meant that the STM would have had to order an entirely different set of vehicles just for that line. Still, now that the STM is seemingly experimenting with new ideas, I don't see the problem of reviving Line 3 either.
Hence me mentioning Philadelphia and Boston which already were using lines like those...

Old 01-12-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well I remember it being one of the reasons why the Blue Line is so dinky and why Snowden is the way it is (technically only 3 of the 4 platforms being usable)
The orange line extension to Snowdon (and beyond) and the blue line weren't built at the same time, though.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The orange line extension to Snowdon (and beyond) and the blue line weren't built at the same time, though.
Right but the blue line was intended to be extended beyond Snowdon

Old 07-26-2023, 08:56 PM

1,221 posts, read 493,579 times
Did the REM start running yet? If so I am curious if anyone on here has been on it?

As far as the Poll goes, I chose the REM system for the simple fact if has elevated sections and is almost entirely above ground. The metro, as good as it is, is entirely underground.

Old 07-27-2023, 04:06 AM

The first REM segment starts running on July 31.

From Brossard to Gare Centrale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal