Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 10:56 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times

Advertisements

Huh? Uh, okay.

Here is a link to the story about the wonderful award for our ballpark...

http://www.baseballparks.com/MonCoBallparkRelease3.pdf

And since most people who come here are interested in reading about the many wonderful things taking place in and around our little city of Morgantown and out little state of West Virginia, here is the Mock report about the ballpark as a really nice amenity for our region...

http://www.baseballparks.com/WestVirginia-1.asp

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-12-2015 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 12:02 AM

891 posts, read 1,054,493 times
yea I read that article already.....whats your point?.......and most people dont come here to "read about the many wonderful things taking place" bla bla bla.....they just want news about Morgantown good or bad....not "look at how awesome we are!" propaganda......a nice amenity for WV yes, for the "region" is yet another stretch, because the region has plenty of far superior parks, minor or major.......an award from baseballparks.com is not THAT big of a deal, its not like its some reputable website, amateur at best.......but Im not completely knockin it, USA Today published it after all.....just dont act like because one random, very obscure website says its the best of 2015 makes it so......there are countless better ballparks, minor or major, old and new, that are FAR superior to MonCo Park......

and again, you keep sayin Morgantown, but its in Granville........

Last edited by Colt .45; 08-13-2015 at 12:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 07:45 AM

354 posts, read 506,027 times
Newest and LOWEST capacity stadium of all the Class-A short season league teams. Definitely strip mall stadiums will be a blueprint for the future.

Last edited by Greystreet21; 08-13-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 01:24 PM

Taking a look at the attendance numbers of several Class A teams including the Power, it would seem that right sizing the stadium makes perfect sense. In my view, it makes more sense to have a fairly full stadium most of the time and overflow crowds some of the time rather than having a seldom filled and half empty stadium most of the time. Also, this is not a "strip mall" stadium. There is a strip mall located on the hill above it, but this stadium will be surrounded by new office buildings rather than dingy old industrial buildings sometimes found elsewhere, will have adequate parking, immediate access right off an Interstate highway without having to navigate blocks of traffic lights, and a nice view for spectators. That might actually be a pretty good combination for long term success.

The stadium was intentionally constructed so that expansion can take place depending on demand factors. I like the current setup. To me it seems better than sitting in a half full stadium most of the time. We're getting good crowds here, including the Pirates die hards who regularly come down to keep tabs on potential future players. I'm also noticing visitors from central PA and Baltimore when teams from those regions play here. Actually, I had no idea pro baseball fans are that dedicated.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-13-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 02:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Good for them. I hope to get over and see a game when I can.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM

If you do, I believe you will enjoy the experience. I never regularly attended baseball games in the past, but they do a good job of making an event of it there so there is entertainment value included. Kids like it too, and when my grandchildren visit they always ask to go to a game. Now my wife and I go to most of the home games.

They sold 1,100 season tickets, and unlike many programs they don't offer cheap seats here. The price is $12 and they still draw nice crowds. Looking at other teams' boards a lot of them offer tickets for less than half that price and still don't draw as well. I believe that is because of the proximity to Pittsburgh.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
If you do, I believe you will enjoy the experience. I never regularly attended baseball games in the past, but they do a good job of making an event of it there so there is entertainment value included. Kids like it too, and when my grandchildren visit they always ask to go to a game. Now my wife and I go to most of the home games.
I've been to a lot of WV Power games. They do the same. I enjoy the lower levels of baseball far more than the top level any more.

Quote:
They sold 1,100 season tickets, and unlike many programs they don't offer cheap seats here. The price is $12 and they still draw nice crowds. Looking at other teams' boards a lot of them offer tickets for less than half that price and still don't draw as well. I believe that is because of the proximity to Pittsburgh.
Interesting. Yes there are certain Power games where tickets are $2.00. 1,100 season tickets seems to be really good. It's really good for the state. I hope they do well.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've been to a lot of WV Power games. They do the same. I enjoy the lower levels of baseball far more than the top level any more.

Interesting. Yes there are certain Power games where tickets are $2.00. 1,100 season tickets seems to be really good. It's really good for the state. I hope they do well.
We are fortunate in our little state to have two cities with excellent baseball entertainment, one for the northern tier and one for the southern tier. They compliment, rather than compete with each other. Here in Morgantown I believe we are fortunate to have such success, because we are close to a major league ballpark, and there is actually another minor league team located between our ballpark and that one. Tonight's game had nearly 2,100 spectators, and tomorrow's game (a Friday night contest) is sold out with standing room only.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 AM

632 posts, read 833,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
yea I read that article already.....whats your point?.......and most people dont come here to "read about the many wonderful things taking place" bla bla bla.....they just want news about Morgantown good or bad....not "look at how awesome we are!" propaganda......a nice amenity for WV yes, for the "region" is yet another stretch, because the region has plenty of far superior parks, minor or major.......an award from baseballparks.com is not THAT big of a deal, its not like its some reputable website, amateur at best.......but Im not completely knockin it, USA Today published it after all.....just dont act like because one random, very obscure website says its the best of 2015 makes it so......there are countless better ballparks, minor or major, old and new, that are FAR superior to MonCo Park......

and again, you keep sayin Morgantown, but its in Granville........

That's like saying Dunbar isn't a part of Charleston. Oakland isn't part of Pittsburgh, Glen Allen isn't part of Richmond, etc.....

I agree with you on a lot of things dealing with CT's overwhelming love affair with this city but to pick out that Granville isn't Morgantown just because city limits don't expand to there is just dumb

Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 PM

Here's the story from tonight's game...

Aberdeen vs. West Virginia - August 14, 2015 | West Virginia Black Bears Box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown