Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 AM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
That's like saying Dunbar isn't a part of Charleston. Oakland isn't part of Pittsburgh, Glen Allen isn't part of Richmond, etc.....

I agree with you on a lot of things dealing with CT's overwhelming love affair with this city but to pick out that Granville isn't Morgantown just because city limits don't expand to there is just dumb

oh I actually agree with you 100%....Im just pointin out his hypocrisy....Morgantown on its own by city limits, is a small town.....but the Morgantown Metro area is fairly large...and wont be long before its the biggest city in WV......in some threads he separates Morgantown from Granville, Cheat Lake, Star City, Westover, ETC.......but not in this one, I wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
If you actually read what I posted, you will saw that in the very first paragraph I said Monongalia County Ballpark... it is the county's ballpark, not the City of Morgantown's ballpark. I did not say it was located in Morgantown... ever, any place. I said happenings in and around Morgantown. The ballpark is clearly around Morgantown. I am befuddled by your repeated insistence on making this about me, about Morgantown, about your incorrect interpretations of my wording, when the thread is clearly about an honor given to our local ballpark. If you have something constructive to add, disagree with, or criticize I will be happy to discuss it with you. I will not argue with you about your inability to read what I post and interpret it in the way I meant it.

I will reiterate that our local ballpark, one of only two in the geographic confines of West Virginia to host a professional baseball team, has received an award by a national publication. I believe that to be a good thing for our community, and can find absolutely nothing negative about getting that award for anybody involved. My sole intent here is to pass along that information and hopefully bring about some intelligent conversation about it. That certainly includes disagreeing with what I say if that is your choice, but please make it about the honor for the ballpark rather than about me. That is my request, and I promise to not make my responses about you.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 AM

891 posts, read 1,053,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
If you actually read what I posted, you will saw that in the very first paragraph I said Monongalia County Ballpark... it is the county's ballpark, not the City of Morgantown's ballpark. I did not say it was located in Morgantown... ever, any place. I said happenings in and around Morgantown. The ballpark is clearly around Morgantown. I am befuddled by your repeated insistence on making this about me, about Morgantown, about your incorrect interpretations of my wording, when the thread is clearly about an honor given to our local ballpark. If you have something constructive to add, disagree with, or criticize I will be happy to discuss it with you. I will not argue with you about your inability to read what I post and interpret it in the way I meant it.

I will reiterate that our local ballpark, one of only two in the geographic confines of West Virginia to host a professional baseball team, has received an award by a national publication. I believe that to be a good thing for our community, and can find absolutely nothing negative about getting that award for anybody involved. My sole intent here is to pass along that information and hopefully bring about some intelligent conversation about it. That certainly includes disagreeing with what I say if that is your choice, but please make it about the honor for the ballpark rather than about me. That is my request, and I promise to not make my responses about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
USA TODAY has selected "The Monongalia County Ballpark" as the number one Professional Baseball Park in the Country this year. There will be a press release and an article in the USA TODAY paper,...
The concept of how we developed the stadium, the partnership with the community, WVU, and the Governmental agencies. Is a blueprint for future ballparks. It would not surprise me to see it used again in our state.

And yes, Colt, I realize the number one designation is largely symbolic. Our ballpark will never be Fenway or Wriggley, but it is an ourstanding facility and the way we accomplished getting it operational here is attracting national attention. It does our little city and county proud.

"It does our little city proud"....yes you said county, but you included city as well, and you didnt mean Granville, you meant Morgantown....which again, I consider it Morgantown as well, but in other threads you wouldnt......

"has received an award by a national publication"- MonCo Park received nothing from USA today, USA Today may have ran a piece about it, which is def. cool, but it was a lil known amateur website that gave the award, get your facts straight......

your "sole intent" goes far beyond merely "passing along information".......if that was all you did I would never need to post here ever....for the now billionth time, its your narcissism, that might as well be broadcast via louspeaker even though this all in writing, that in the words of Peter Griffin "Grinds my gears!"

Im not tellin you stop doin anything, cause you have every right to post whatever you want...but as long as your "model for the nation", "blueprint for the future" esque posts come about, Im gonna be there to point out for others how further from the truth you could be......all though honestly, most people are smart enough to see through your very obviously blind bias........and thats an understatement if there ever was one......

Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
It doesn't matter exactly where it's at. It's a great addition for the state.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:13 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Haven't been to a game yet but they throw a hell of a fireworks show that is visible from my back porch on Friday nights.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Haven't been to a game yet but they throw a hell of a fireworks show that is visible from my back porch on Friday nights.

They had 2,935 people there for tonight's game. Overflow crowds on weekends are not uncommon.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:33 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
yea I read that article already.....whats your point?.......and most people dont come here to "read about the many wonderful things taking place" bla bla bla.....they just want news about Morgantown good or bad....not "look at how awesome we are!" propaganda......a nice amenity for WV yes, for the "region" is yet another stretch, because the region has plenty of far superior parks, minor or major.......an award from baseballparks.com is not THAT big of a deal, its not like its some reputable website, amateur at best.......but Im not completely knockin it, USA Today published it after all.....just dont act like because one random, very obscure website says its the best of 2015 makes it so......there are countless better ballparks, minor or major, old and new, that are FAR superior to MonCo Park......

and again, you keep sayin Morgantown, but its in Granville........

Most local residents couldn't "give a crap" about this baseball stadium. Not to take anything away from any of it's accolades, but it doesn't effect most residents daily lives. What does is our current road conditions. DOH is stating that Mon County has gotten more money in 2015 than any year to date. Regardless of any TIF status, the DOH still has to do the work on the interchange to the stadium and it is costing $20+ million. That leaves about a nickel left over the rest of the county and it sure does show.

I signed up in part to temper some of this "enthusiasm" about how great Morgantown is as I was born here and I see a LOT of negatives. Much that is posted here is very misguided. That said I do want to thank CT for all of the exhaustive research about positive things coming to this area. If it weren't for this I wouldn't have been reading this board for the last year. However, Colt.45 does make some good points which is why I want to jump in. I don't see it as a personal attack and there have been some very valid points stated here.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:11 PM

There are positive and negative things about anywhere you live.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are positive and negative things about anywhere you live.
I'm sure that's true and it is a matter of perspective. Many old guard locals want things like they were in the 1960s when the police force actually used Jeeps as cruisers and everyone worked in glass factories, coal mines, or at the school or those who didn't made a living fleecing students for substandard apartments or selling them food and drink. I can see why there would be a strong pull for somebody born into that environment to keep things just like that. It simply is neither possible nor healthy.

Every one of those glass factories has closed except for the one at Star City that makes industrial glass items. The coal mines have mechanized and although they are still cranking out coal, they aren't employing nearly as many people as before. The University is its own entity, and while it has much in common working with the city that is not its primary purpose. The job of the school is to excell and grow in a healthy manner. It is basically doing that with no help from the state unlike some other institutions, and to provide an education in a good environment for its students. In order to compete with its peers... and those peers are not regional, masters level institutions, it has to offer top flight programs and amenities for students. The healthcare component likewise has its own missions apart from the city. Together those entities provide
employment for more than 11,000 local people.

The glass factories were replaced by Mylan, which employs 1,400 people and pays far higher wages than did the glass factories. The area has attracted a growing research and technology sector. All of these things bring about change. While it is sometimes hard for old time locals to adjust to the change it is necessary and desirable on any number of fronts. For one thing, it is likely your children will be able to find a job here and not have to move away. There aren't too many places in our state where that is pretty much a given. In fact, if they were honest, I'd bet the city councils of the vast majorities of towns in our state would swap places with us in a heartbeat. Ours is lamenting about how to handle the growth... most others are looking for any signs of life at all to be happy about.

As for the baseball stadium, I can only speak from my own perspective. I was really not a baseball fan until last year when I went to the WV - Texas baseball game at old Hawley Field. I started taking an interest after that. I noticed attendance at WV games increase dramatically when the Big 12 teams were coming here to play. I took that to the stadium, but Morgantown was never historically a baseball town aside from some Pirates diehards. It really still is not all caught up in it, but the stadium is proving to be highly successful and I am noticing a growing number of people taking an interest in the sport. The games are all well attended, with weekends doing considerably better than weekdays. Admittedlly, many of those folks are from Pittsburgh wanting to watch future players, or other towns between there and Clarksburg or Oakland, MD, but the demand is there and they do a pretty good job of making and event out of it with things besides baseball.

Regardless of how many locals go to the games, it brings business to our hotels, restaurants, and gas stations. It is part of the mix that is going into that Interstate Exit you mentioned, but certainly not all of it. Several businesses have already committed to locating near that exit.

I understand your resentment to the growth and development, but this isn't Mayberry any longer and never will be that. Sorry for the way that makes you feel, but we simply can not relive the past or even hold onto it in this day and age. That said, I have attended council meetings and seensome of the older residents kicking and screeming while trying to retard things in progress. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion, but it will lose out to money every time and there are fewer and fewer of those old time residents around. One of these days we will actually be able to spruce up the fronts on businesses on High Street because of that.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 08-29-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 08-30-2015, 05:58 AM

I wasn't resentful. I think the ballpark is cool. I was responding to the post above mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown