Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! How are you? It's been awhile since I've been on the WV board, but I have been quite busy. I wanted to check in now that we are getting closer to moving time. Although, some of our needs have changed a bit.

One of my daughters has had a reaction to a vaccine and has been very ill. almost a year now. She is doing ok, right now - today, but has "episodes" regularly and actually has five doctors. She has five doctors, one is an immunologist / allergist, we have a cardiologist, her regular pediatrician, a rheumatologist and a naturopath. So my question here is, can you recommend any of these doctors to us? Her health is very fragile and I can not move her without already having these doctors lined up. I think the one I am most concerned about is the naturopath, or maybe even an integrative MD, because I have researched and have not been able to find one in the immediate vicinity. I think I found a couple up near Pittsburgh, but is that reasonable? Sometimes we have to go several times a week. is the trip long? Or a hard one or mostly highway? I worry about the winter months especially.So any info you can give me would be fantastic!

Also, how are the jobs and housing holding up? We were thinking that we might rent a vacation home for about two weeks when we move there, because of my DD health, there is no way I can come up before we move. But were thinking if we got a vacation rental it would give us some time to actually ride around a find a home rather than renting one long term without seeing it. We are open to suggestions here too!

I know this is a loooooong post, so I apologize! I'm just a little nervous. We can't stay here, there are no jobs and we are drowning in that respect, but I am scared to death to leave supportive doctors.

Anyway, hope you all are well and that you could make it all the way through this book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
The southern suburbs of Pittsburgh are about an hour away. The two largest hospitals are probably an hour and a half, with Allegheny General right across the river from downtown, and U of Pitt Med Center in the Oakland section of the city, about 5 miles from downtown. I-79 will take you more or less straight from Morgantown to Pittsburgh, easy drive.

Although, depending on your daughter's age, she may end up seeing doctors at Children's Hospital (which is part of UPMC). I imagine, but don't know for sure, that many of the doctors around Morgantown will have referral arrangements with Pittsburgh medical groups, so you can get primary care locally, and maybe only occasionally have to drive to Pittsburgh.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Default Mon-Fayette

They will soon be completing the Mon-Fayette Expressway from Morgantown to Pittsburgh which will take you to the Burgh on the East side of the tunnels instead of the West side. That will save at least 15 minutes from the commute to the hospital areas, more during rush hour.

HOWEVER, ... You won't need to go to Pittsburgh for a Naturopath. There is one in Uniontown, which is much closer to Morgantown... about 20 minutes.

Myers Naturopathic Wellness Center
144 Mountain Road
Uniontown, PA 15401

Phone: (724) 564-4704

Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
Omigosh, CT. THANK YOU!! I will call them tomorrow. It would make my life so much easier if I didn't need to go to Pittsburgh on a regular basis. You are my best friend today.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
They will soon be completing the Mon-Fayette Expressway from Morgantown to Pittsburgh which will take you to the Burgh on the East side of the tunnels instead of the West side. That will save at least 15 minutes from the commute to the hospital areas, more during rush hour.
Unfortunately, that part of the Mon-Fayette Expressway is a long ways off, due to both funding and routing issues. Currently, the MFX starts just north of the WV border, north of Morgantown (Cheat Lake) and continues to Uniontown. Then there's a gap (under construction) from Uniontown to the vicinity of California, PA. The expressway resumes near California and continues north to the southern suburbs of Pittsburgh to a couple of miles south of Century III Mall.

But from there into the city, it's the Sawmill Run Boulevard all the way, stop and go all the way to the Liberty Tubes. I don't think they've even started ROW acquisition yet. So for now, to downtown and Oakland, I-79 is still faster from Morgantown, unless you happen to be starting from in or near Cheat Lake.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM

They just appropriated the funds to complete the WV section with work scheduled to start this year. Hopefully PA will get on the stick with the
Uniontown to California segment.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Uniontown to California is underway... lots of grading down around Brownsville, and the piers for the flyover intersection with 119 on the south side of Uniontown are in place.

But from the current northern end near West Mifflin, either on into downtown or east towards Monroeville, is going to be a long time coming. PennDOT says it doesn't have the money, lots of community opposition in the Mon Valley, etc. Haven't heard if Fed stimulus funds will be directed that way or not.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Uniontown to California is underway... lots of grading down around Brownsville, and the piers for the flyover intersection with 119 on the south side of Uniontown are in place.

But from the current northern end near West Mifflin, either on into downtown or east towards Monroeville, is going to be a long time coming. PennDOT says it doesn't have the money, lots of community opposition in the Mon Valley, etc. Haven't heard if Fed stimulus funds will be directed that way or not.
When you consider the fact that it is nearly impossible to construct a beltway around Pittsburgh, it would be foolish if they didn't connect the thing to Parkway East somehow. Not only would that eliminate some of the tunnel congestion, it would also expedite travel to the east end of town
from points south. Going to or from there during rush hour is a real bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown