Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM

773 posts, read 1,259,913 times

Advertisements

One of my BFFs is about to make a tragic mistake, and I really do not know how to stop her. A little less than a year ago, she filed for bankruptcy. Now she's looking at purchasing a home that was foreclosed on — good price, but the property value probably won't hold steady, given the area in which it's located.

She found this ... I don't know what to call it, really. A place that purportedly helps people with bad credit get home loans. They told her that they'd get "investors" to buy the property for her, and she'd make the payments to them. Catch is: She has to pay this place $99 a month for two years for "credit repair." Now, we all know that credit repair is a scam, right? Ain't nothing you can do about a public record (bankruptcy) on the records.

I write articles about personal finance, but I have never heard about this type of arrangement (yet). What type of scheme is this anyway? Something tells me that the interest of her "loan" would be through the roof, too. Any advice to pass on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Some are scams, some are legit. The question is what will they do to repair credit for 99/mo?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:36 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
If you could get the name of the company, we could look it up and see what they're about. Hard to imagine anyone giving a mortgage to someone who went bankrupt so recently. Why wouldn't the investors just buy the place for themselves, if they thought it was worth investing in? Maybe some kind of a rent to own thing?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:39 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Why wouldn't the investors just buy the place for themselves, if they thought it was worth investing in? Maybe some kind of a rent to own thing?
Because we all know they are good for their money.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
If you could get the name of the company, we could look it up and see what they're about. Hard to imagine anyone giving a mortgage to someone who went bankrupt so recently. Why wouldn't the investors just buy the place for themselves, if they thought it was worth investing in? Maybe some kind of a rent to own thing?
From the OP, it does sound like the investors are buying the property. Seems more like a lease/purchase arrangement while they work on her credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
...They told her that they'd get "investors" to buy the property for her, and she'd make the payments to them. ...

Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Be Free, they're likely doing a sandwich lease of some sort. If not, I guess they feel her credit is good enough that she'll be able to close as soon as the bankruptcy drops off.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking, too. If "investors" purchased the property, they take title. If they take title, and she takes the mortgage, that sounds like it's all kinds of wrong. The credit repair fee is what mystifies me. By law, these places cannot charge an individual until they perform the services they agree to perform.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
That's what I'm thinking, too. If "investors" purchased the property, they take title. If they take title, and she takes the mortgage, that sounds like it's all kinds of wrong. ...
You need to get a copy of their agreement to see how it's structured.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Be Free, they're likely doing a sandwich lease of some sort. If not, I guess they feel her credit is good enough that she'll be able to close as soon as the bankruptcy drops off.
That's what I initially thought, but don't investors look for properties in desirable areas for this? She's looking at a manufactured home in a small, rural area. It's in decent shape, but this is not a property that I personally would invest in, given what and where it is.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
It would be a non-owner occupied home, so the interest rate would be higher for the investor, but only about 1% or less. But they could charge her whatever interest rate they wanted to (predatory lending), since it would then be an owner-carry type sale. In other words, they buy the house, and either do a lease purchase agreement with her, or actually sell it to her as an owner-carry on the loan, either way, the terms can be whatever everyone agrees to. The terms will always favor the seller (the investment company), and usually favor them A LOT.

If it is done as a lease purchase rather than an owner carry, it will continue to be non-owner occupied, and the insurance will be higher, and she won't qualify for any property tax breaks that owner occupants would get, so the payment would be higher.

I'd want to know what guarantees were in place for the credit repair. In other words, after paying them $99/month for 2 years, if her credit was still not good enough to buy the house, I'm guessing the paperwork says she is in default, and loses everything, which is totally unfair.

So, is it a scam? Maybe, maybe not. Is it a good idea? Probably not. But if she does want to go forward, I can't stress enough the importance of having the paperwork reviewed by a real estate attorney (her own, not the sellers) and renegotiating for fair terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages