Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 PM

64 posts, read 368,057 times

Advertisements

First I would like to ask if 4.25% with a 5.813% APR is a decent rate these days.

Then, perhaps, someone that really knows how this stuff works can shed some light on regular interest rate and an APR. It seems to me like most of us are dummies when it comes to understanding all of this. I can definitely grasp the rate they lock you into but not exactly all that familiar when they throw in the yearly rate or APR....if I even made sense there. Anyhow, please feel free to jump right in and help us understand.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekoflow View Post
First I would like to ask if 4.25% with a 5.813% APR is a decent rate these days.

Then, perhaps, someone that really knows how this stuff works can shed some light on regular interest rate and an APR. It seems to me like most of us are dummies when it comes to understanding all of this. I can definitely grasp the rate they lock you into but not exactly all that familiar when they throw in the yearly rate or APR....if I even made sense there. Anyhow, please feel free to jump right in and help us understand.

Thank you.

First question:

NO but then without knowing more details, it's hard to say.

APR is not all that complicated. It is supposed to help you shop and compare mortgage.

Some reading for you.

What is mortgage APR?

Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
First question:

NO but then without knowing more details, it's hard to say.

APR is not all that complicated. It is supposed to help you shop and compare mortgage.

Some reading for you.

What is mortgage APR?
OH, thank you. So, you are saying that a 4.25% is not decent, good? What details are you looking for exactly. It's a 30yr fixed fha loan. The purchase price is $257K. Oh, and my fico score is around 730. Hopefully, that helps. But to be honest with you I thouth 4.25% was good.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:25 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
4.25% is a great rate for today. However, with an APR over 5.8%, you're paying A LOT of fees for that rate. The APR is your rate plus your fees equalized out for the first year. That means you want your APR to be as close to your actual rate as possible, otherwise you're paying a heck of a lot of fees!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,934,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekoflow View Post
OH, thank you. So, you are saying that a 4.25% is not decent, good? What details are you looking for exactly. It's a 30yr fixed fha loan. The purchase price is $257K. Oh, and my fico score is around 730. Hopefully, that helps. But to be honest with you I thouth 4.25% was good.
Need to see what a GFE looks like. It will be clear on there as to why you have a 1.5% difference between rate and APR. Good 30 years is around 4.25% with APR around 4.3%

Old 03-20-2014, 03:02 PM

165 posts, read 357,186 times
Most of the APR is going to be the FHA MIP,

If you can save an additional 2% go conventional, with your FICO it would be a much better program were PMI can drop off the loan. FHA you pay the MIP for the intire of the loan.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,325,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCampbell View Post
Most of the APR is going to be the FHA MIP,

If you can save an additional 2% go conventional, with your FICO it would be a much better program were PMI can drop off the loan. FHA you pay the MIP for the intire of the loan.
Exactly. The FHA up-front mortgage insurance bloats that APR number quite a bit.

Are you paying your own closing costs? If you can negotiate so that the seller pays them, you might free up enough funds to get to a 5% down position on a Conventional loan.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,298 times
Do what you need to do to close it, beggars can't be choosers and you already had one lender fail you. You are leveraging to buy an investment property an extra point or two is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Do what you need to do to close it, beggars can't be choosers and you already had one lender fail you. You are leveraging to buy an investment property an extra point or two is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
You are definitely correct! Besides, when it's all said and done I will hardly be paying much out of pocket. The house will be pretty much paying for itself and I will be almost living there for free. So, I can't really complaint much. Thanks for everyone's reply.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
Don't second guess yourself now - keep on marching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages