Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Actually that's Singapore, Thailand, and India, as well as Japan, Mexico and China.
Made in Japan? - Harley Davidson Community
Harley-Davidson. Made In America. In Thailand. In Singapore. And Tomorrow In India? at Cyril Huze Blog

Sorry to disillusion you.

That said: Overpriced American made Junk vs good quality and priced 'foreign made' (Although with Toyota and Honda being made in the US... LOL!!
Well if that's true then I guess I will never own another motorcycle.

10% unemployment in the USA because people just refuse to pay a couple of bucks more for American made.

Americans just love to wave the flag but when it comes time to spend they send their money overseas.
Shame in you people who send your money overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
I started riding in the early 70's. I have owned about a dozen bikes, none of them were Harleys. They have just never made anything I liked. Since I started riding till now, they all still look alike. They haven't changed much at all. Get some new designers on board and make something that people would like. Not the same old looking bikes. Get out of that rut and design something decent.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:44 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Well if that's true then I guess I will never own another motorcycle.

10% unemployment in the USA because people just refuse to pay a couple of bucks more for American made.

Americans just love to wave the flag but when it comes time to spend they send their money overseas.
Shame in you people who send your money overseas.

"You People"

LOL!

Have you TRIED to buy American made?

My Boots, Belt, and I my Jeans are American made.

Can't get underwear, sox or many Shirts that are.

Got an American TV or Toaster around perhaps?

When you point... look in the mirror.

Not much choice sadly. I for one DO pay more for American made... WHEN THERE IS THE CORRESPONDING INCREASED QUALITY.
(And even sometimes when there's not)

Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I was afraid that this thread would go xenophobic, but I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. As Themanwithnoname pointed out, Harleys aren't 100% US made. The clannishness of the H-D faithful is rather irritating as well. They are the ones who most often don't wave back, although some do. I like just about anything with two wheels and a motor, which I think is the right attitude.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I was afraid that this thread would go xenophobic, but I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. As Themanwithnoname pointed out, Harleys aren't 100% US made. The clannishness of the H-D faithful is rather irritating as well. They are the ones who most often don't wave back, although some do. I like just about anything with two wheels and a motor, which I think is the right attitude.

LOL, Agreed.

But it's funny, When I rode Hondas... HD riders ignored me.

On my "Cherman Machine" They All wave at me!

Although I will say... Met some GREAT HD riders when I was riding my Honda from New Orleans to Maine and back... (But their bikes weren't shiny! if you follow me.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Harleys are a great cruiser bike, sound great and have a good aftermarket parts supply, very large community of people who actually do ride their bikes. many clubs to join ,just a great lifestyle bike,,their downfall for some would be their lack of performance and heavy road handling characteristics,biggest problem for most is price,especially here in the Montreal area
Not sure how anyone can afford such an expensive fair weather toy that sits in a garage for at least 7 months a year .
Motocyclettes HARLEYDAVIDSON neuves et d

Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
A Harley is a bike. Neither good or bad, just depends on what you value.

As a performance machine, it is overweight, underpowered and way over priced.

As a lifestyle device, I would believe there isn't a better one made.

As far as "made in America" I'd look at Honda before Harley. At least as far as history goes. Unfortunately that's changed moving forward.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
On my "Cherman Machine" They All wave at me!
OK, I'll bite. What is the "Cherman machine"?

Quote:
Although I will say... Met some GREAT HD riders when I was riding my Honda from New Orleans to Maine and back... (But their bikes weren't shiny! if you follow me.
Got it!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:15 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
OK, I'll bite. What is the "Cherman machine"?

Got it!
That would be a German bike, with parts from China. I believe he said he has a BMW.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
" I don't like or dislike Harleys per se. They are just not my style and I don't have the option of riding a manual clutch machine so never considered them. . . .
Ride safe and enjoy life.[/quote]
Pilgrim,
Just how many motorcycle models are there that DO NOT have a manual clutch and transmission? I haven't read a motorcycle magazine other than an occasional EASY RIDER for twenty years so I don't know all the latest fads but I have been riding since 1960. I have never ridden any motorcycle with an automatic tranny other than a couple V-8 powered one of a kind bikes built for the drag strip. I might like to try a bike with an auto tranny. What is a good model to test drive?

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles