Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:11 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
yep agree with ya here. Pipes do not help at all. High viz gear is more effective than pipes lol.

Anyhow, I agree with lane splitting but.....I think I will only do it on traffic jams and red lights. Lane splitting seems a bit scary for my tastes at higher speeds. Seen a lot of those videos from California lol. I htink it should be legal on red lights. I always get scared someone is going to rear end me, and if I move to the front, at least people will know I am there....in a way lol
I have Hi-Viz gear up to wazoo, and that only helps IF the driver is actually paying attention to the road.
In California, I can assure you, at the very least, 1 out of every 4 drivers is on their phone which means they are not looking at the road in front of them yet alone around them. Hi-Viz will NOT likely to help, would it?

Loud pipes get attention, not necessarily a pleasant attention but it does get it, nevertheless.
That said, to they need to be loud enough to trip car alarms as they pass by or scare the poop out of a small dog? Absolutely not!

Lane filtering/sharing should be legal, period, whether a rider chooses to use it or not. Ideally, it is meant for traffic moving slower than 40 mph and stop lights. Getting rear-ended is NOT fun. Those naysayers to lane-splitting might feel different if they got rear-ended. In a moving traffic, I do it within 15 mph faster than the vehicle I am passing and only if the traffic is moving slow. On a freeway going 65+ mph it makes very little sense and getting bumped at higher speed will be ugly, to say the least. Even carpool lanes on freeways with double yellow lines do not mean much because I see ding-dong drivers cut in and out over double-double yellow lines even. It is like no biggie to them.

What really annoys me is there are still some idiots who seemingly deliberately block my lane-splitting even though it is perfectly legal to do so. Furthermore, deliberately blocking the path of a lane-splitting motorcycle is actually illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:55 AM

529 posts, read 490,460 times
I use to do a lot of commuting/splitting lanes in the L.A. area when I was working. From the quiet bikes to a Harley that if one wanted to, would get your attention noise wise. I would see a little bit more of getting someones attention on the Harley, but to be honest, it wasn't anywhere near the amount I got when I upgraded my headlight and added LED's. A very noticeable difference.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:26 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I hate broad/general bylaws that take away your freedom in order to prevent that small percentage of idiots who are abusing the yesteryear's privileges.
That - is how it works. Always.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:22 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Fair enough, good post. Blanket statements are never accurate.
He who speaks in absolutes, is always wrong.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:26 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,972 times
Have been lane splitting in CA since the 70"s. Way more than 100,000 miles on the white line alone. Loud pipes scare the kids in cars not much else, what counts is a smart rider with laser-like FOCUS on the job at hand. We have an advantage in being able to see further ahead than the car drivers. Watch the drivers, watch the front wheels and you can do it........tall adventure bikes are best on the line.........

Old 01-01-2019, 04:35 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Have been lane splitting in CA since the 70"s. Way more than 100,000 miles on the white line alone. Loud pipes scare the kids in cars not much else, what counts is a smart rider with laser-like FOCUS on the job at hand. We have an advantage in being able to see further ahead than the car drivers. Watch the drivers, watch the front wheels and you can do it........tall adventure bikes are best on the line.........
Two words: Headlight modulator. (If legal in your jurisdiction, natch.) The difference is immediate and unmistakable. Best $50 I spent on safety kit.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:33 AM

924 posts, read 1,020,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Two words: Headlight modulator. (If legal in your jurisdiction, natch.) The difference is immediate and unmistakable. Best $50 I spent on safety kit.

ive been wanting to get this. Been doing research and this helps vastly in comparison to motorcycles w.o it.
I have to do some research to see if its legal in CO

Old 01-07-2019, 07:40 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,319,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I have Hi-Viz gear up to wazoo, and that only helps IF the driver is actually paying attention to the road.
In California, I can assure you, at the very least, 1 out of every 4 drivers is on their phone which means they are not looking at the road in front of them yet alone around them. Hi-Viz will NOT likely to help, would it?

Loud pipes get attention, not necessarily a pleasant attention but it does get it, nevertheless.
Yup. I rode this bike for a few years:

Stock pipes on it. And even with the bright red bike, headlight on, neon red helmet, etc, I was shocked at how many people would look straight at me, and pull out in front of me and then act surprised that I was there as I was barely able to avoid them. I actually bounced (my foot) off the door of a car once that pulled out in front of me less than a car length away. Horns really don't work.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Yup. I rode this bike for a few years:

Stock pipes on it. And even with the bright red bike, headlight on, neon red helmet, etc, I was shocked at how many people would look straight at me, and pull out in front of me and then act surprised that I was there as I was barely able to avoid them. I actually bounced (my foot) off the door of a car once that pulled out in front of me less than a car length away. Horns really don't work.

It's not only bikes, in the '70s I drove a gas tanker, tandem axle tractor with an 8,500 gallon tank-trailer behind. I had people pull-out in front of me as if I wasn't even there.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:28 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksom009 View Post
All noise considerations aside, I think it's safe to say that the average seasoned motorcycle rider is much smarter, and multiplied times more better a driver, than your average car driver. And that doesn't even take into consideration the FACT that motorcycle riders are NOT doing countless stupid things - while driving - that make them a hazard to themselves and everyone else on the road.
There's zero doubt that motorcycle riders (as well as pilots) make better/more aware drivers.
Unfortunately, some riders still ride at such a high level of risk, that it pretty much negates that first factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles