Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 12:01 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Guessing you've never ridden a motorcycle? Yes my pipes are loader than stock, its because the dolts in the 4 wheeled cages can't bother to keep track of the traffic around them and because they have the stereo cranked up singing along to the latest Taylor Swift song, so when they start pulling into my lane I can crack the throttle to awaken them from their mindless stupor.
The biggest threat to bikers is really themselves and not the people in "cages". The stats are pretty bad and we've discussed them here before but in fatal motorcycle accidents the incidence of alcohol, excessive speed etc. is something like 5-10x higher than for cars.

I don't wish anyone harm and certainly for SAFE riders the threat profile is different but the meme that the real threat is other cars isn't reality for the majority of cyclists. The couple guys I've known that have died on bikes all did themselves in by the way they were riding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Yep cages aren't in anyway a threat to most of motorcyclists. They don't pull out in front of you. They don't get over in your lane. They don't hit you from behind. None of those things at all.......

Old 07-24-2015, 06:03 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Never said it was my neighbor, said it was a guy that rides through my neighborhood. In order to identify him I would have had to follow him to work and then back to his house wherever that may be.

All I can say is that you are defending a guy that opens up....repeat...opens up his hog all the way at 6AM through a residential neighborhood on a semi-regular basis.

And you call those that don't like it "busybodys".

Tell you what, next time you are hanging out with some friends just ask their opinion.

Say "I have a cousin who has a guy that rides his hog past his house and opens up the throttle all the way at 6AM and they have a newborn. What do you guys think?"
The vast majority of us don't do that. I respect my neighbors and try really hard to keep the throttle down when I'm anywhere around them. In fact, I try to avoid making noise in anyone's "neighborhood." But, when I am out on the open road I ride loud. I am absolutely certain that it has saved my life several times. I've been riding for 32 years. Loud pipes save lives. They just do. They might annoy you, but that's the point.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM

74 posts, read 166,283 times
In Hawaii there is a website to sign up to get enough signatures to submit a bill to ban all motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds. The reason is the number of riders of said vehicles that toss the stock exhaust, and put on loud ones. They are not trying to ban bikes with loud exhausts. They are trying to ban ALL motorcycles etc. I don't expect it to go anywhere, but this is a result of loud aftermarket exhausts systems. I"m now just shy of 62 years old, and started riding motorcycles at 8 (off road). I put a Dunstall exhaust on my 1976 Honda CB750K many years ago, and regretted it. On long rides, the noise gave me a headache. Just what you want when you climb in to your sleeping bag after a long day of riding. Sure, I could have worn ear plugs, but that would make the whole concept a joke. Yeah, I installed this Vance & Hines set, now I have to wear ear plugs every time I ride, due to the noise.

My opinion is that loud exhaust **** off car drivers. The last thing in the world I want is a bunch of car drivers mad at bikers, for obvious reasons.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 4,840 times
Watch the south park episode called "The F-word". Nothing more needs to be said lol.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:23 AM

75 posts, read 87,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRacer330 View Post
Watch the south park episode called "The F-word". Nothing more needs to be said lol.
Yes it is hilarious. If loud pipes save lives, could you imagine what good skills and the proper equipment could do?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:50 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatguyinAK View Post
Yes it is hilarious. If loud pipes save lives, could you imagine what good skills and the proper equipment could do?
Surely you're not implying that the loud-pipers aren't safety conscious throughout? Full-face helmets, full leathers, high-visibility colors?

Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Surely you're not implying that the loud-pipers aren't safety conscious throughout? Full-face helmets, full leathers, high-visibility colors?
No, maybe some use all that gear, but believing "loud pipes save lives" is a credible safety meme, is seriously flawed. It's dumb. I would say a loud-piper will be using that gear sooner than somebody who believes smart and experience is what saves lives, no pipes or gear.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:04 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
No, maybe some use all that gear, but believing "loud pipes save lives" is a credible safety meme, is seriously flawed. It's dumb. I would say a loud-piper will be using that gear sooner than somebody who believes smart and experience is what saves lives, no pipes or gear.
Sorry, I was trying to be slightly sarcastic, there. In my experience, loud-pipers tend to ride with pathetic gear, particularly helmets.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 3,531 times
Default What a fool...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
My nerves and peace of mind are stressed knowing that one would want to cap, muffle, silence, and restrict the amazing act of combustion. The science of what is going on is amazing. Im offended that you would deliberately put a muffler on something like that.

Complain, thats OK. That's a right. Nobody is going to force you to like it. Just dont try to force me to not enjoy what I like. Thats all I ask. Just deal with it. I deal with every Prius that gets in my path too. See, everybody has their likes and dislikes. Thats America for ya!

You must be one of those cretins who farts and burps at the dinner table, or in church. Since human gas is such an amazing thing, why would anyone want to muffle it...at least YOURS.

By the way, exactly what is the 'your path' that Priuses get in the way of? Keep your noise out of 'my airspace.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles