Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 PM

177 posts, read 312,908 times

Advertisements

Got my MSF training last year at age 44, rode a 250 for a while, then bought a 1200 custom. Put over 5k miles on it and had a great time.

Fast forward to today, luck ran out and got hit by a red light runner broadside.

Am OK, no injuries, bike is mostly ok. Lost some confidence in riding and humanity in general, but that may wear off. Too many close calls from distracted drivers is killing it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
@ age 40, I suggest you get some serious 'off-road' / Back Road time in. You can buy a lot of fun dual sports VERY cheap and they are economical and EZ to maneuver.

Reflexes and CONFIDENCE in knowing how to get yourself out of a jam. and a ROVING eye for the next idiot who is gonna 'take-you-out' without ever SEEING you. You know the STATS!!! Many 50 yr olds go down with their new Harley's.

After many yrs and miles and a racing career, I left my bikes behind during 'children @ home'.

This yr I am back with a passion (and WELL insured / donor ready) but won't be doing any more 'cross country' trips. It is just too much effort and pain, and I often fall asleep while cruising. I restored and rode several of my road bikes and my 'enduros', and found I have MUCH more fun riding my vintage 'thumpers', So I will be sticking with my $600 xt 500's for fun a pleasure (and 70mpg economy). I am taking at least one to Europe (or one of my 650 XS2's). They will get ridden for a yr or two, then sold overseas.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,212,259 times
How about a 63 year old who has not been on a bike for 40 years . He wants to enjoy a few things to remember before he gets too old to do squat....

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM

17,396 posts, read 22,144,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoshin1115 View Post
Got my MSF training last year at age 44, rode a 250 for a while, then bought a 1200 custom. Put over 5k miles on it and had a great time.

Fast forward to today, luck ran out and got hit by a red light runner broadside.

Am OK, no injuries, bike is mostly ok. Lost some confidence in riding and humanity in general, but that may wear off. Too many close calls from distracted drivers is killing it for me.

That sucks......glad you are around to tell the story!

"Distracted Drivers" are a real sore spot with me, about 18 months ago I did a 100 mile trip on a very very busy highway and seemed like everyone I was behind had their phone extended away from their body reading a text/email! Since then I have been noticing it more, at night it is easy to spot with the "glow" on the interiors! What kills me is the message they are sending/receiving is crap like "lol, gtg, ok, etc.".....not exactly important stuff!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,977,423 times
I had a bike for years before a garage. I kept it outside in Fla for three years under a bike cover. I would go though one about every year. The sun would eat it up. But my bike was like new. I now keep it in a garage but I still have a bike cover.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM

24,517 posts, read 26,059,340 times
I did back in the 70's.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:19 AM

806 posts, read 2,343,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This yr I am back with a passion (and WELL insured / donor ready) but won't be doing any more 'cross country' trips. It is just too much effort and pain, and I often fall asleep while cruising. .
Fell asleep- I would LOVE to hear that story!!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,008,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
How about a 63 year old who has not been on a bike for 40 years . He wants to enjoy a few things to remember before he gets too old to do squat....
Riding a motorcycle is like riding a bicycle, you really never forget, however, the bikes of today are noting like the bikes of 40 years ago. I'm 63, I've been riding since I was in my teens, my first bike was a Honda Cub 50 in 1965. I've rode many bikes in the last 40 years, today, for me, it isn't how fast I can get there or how cool do I look, it's about the ride. I never ride faster than my guardian angel can fly nor do I ride faster than I can react. I love getting on my bike and just going for a weekend or a few hours. I ride a Goldwing for comfort and reliability, I can ride 500 miles and get off the bike and still be able to walk, some bikes I have rode, after 50 miles you feel like someone has taken a 2 x 4 to your back.

Get a bike that you can enjoy, if it's long distance riding make sure the bike fits you, most of all, ride within your comfort zone not someone else's.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 PM

27 posts, read 89,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
husband was early 60's when "learned"/got endorsement -- probably been on dirt bikes when he was a kid, thu
Does he still ride, how old is he nowadays?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:37 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,173,246 times
I'm a 48 year old female. I got my motorcycle license 6 weeks ago. As soon as I got the license, I bought a Yamaha V-Star 650 and have been riding it all the time ever since. My goal is to ride it for a year, then get a HD Softail Deluxe. LOVE it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles