Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,194,197 times

Advertisements

I took the MSC with my folks. Mom was late forties at the time, Dad in his early 50s. Mom still rides and is pretty good at it. Dad, not so much.......

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 AM

806 posts, read 2,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I've always wanted to learn to ride but I never had a place to store the motorcycle and since I had planned to buy a nice bike, I didn't want to leave it outside in the snow and rain.

I don't have that worry anymore so it brings me to this.........

Anyone learn to ride a motorcycle in their 40's?

Did you recently move away from rain and snow?

I suddenly developed an urge to ride a dirtbike at age 35. I took to it pretty fast and still love riding. I'm nearly 41 now and plan on buying my first official street bike. I can ride my other bikes on the street but it's a different feel. They're only good for short trips.. My next bike is going to be a sport bike, not a cruiser. It is definitely addictive. I believe that people near their 40's tend to be more responsible, so learning to ride and bike ownership is taken more seriously. It's not hard to ride a motorcycle but having to keep your eyes on everyone on the road can be tiresome. Also, you should get a bike you can easily maneuver and feel comfortable riding in all kinds of elements.

I say GO FOR IT!!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,724,465 times
I had a friend who bought a Triumph 675 when he was 44 and started doing trackdays after only a year of riding on the street. Two years after that he found himself sitting on the starting grid of a CCS club race at Mid America Motorplex.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I had a friend who bought a Triumph 675 when he was 44 and started doing trackdays after only a year of riding on the street. Two years after that he found himself sitting on the starting grid of a CCS club race at Mid America Motorplex.
Great story,

I don't plane of racing but I do plan on doing long distance travel..........

Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 AM

58 posts, read 181,501 times
Just did it myself this summer - at 41. Had the opportunity to take the MSF from a friend who is also a coach. Borrowed his dual sport for the class. Enjoyed it so found a 2005 Vulcan 750 on craigslist and haven't look back. Been riding it all summer to work, 26 miles each way, had a few close calls from stupid drivers but haven't laid it down - yet. Will probably upgrade next year, not sure exactly to what yet, but I really like the looks of Victory. Haven't ridden one yet though.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:44 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,021,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaverty View Post
Just did it myself this summer - at 41. Had the opportunity to take the MSF from a friend who is also a coach. Borrowed his dual sport for the class. Enjoyed it so found a 2005 Vulcan 750 on craigslist and haven't look back. Been riding it all summer to work, 26 miles each way, had a few close calls from stupid drivers but haven't laid it down - yet. Will probably upgrade next year, not sure exactly to what yet, but I really like the looks of Victory. Haven't ridden one yet though.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Stay safe and have fun.

Victory, is what I want after a few years of getting experience. I like the "Jackpot"

Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,743,832 times
Im 34 and I just bought a Ninja 250 that I'm learning to ride. Going over 60mph still makes me nervous, and I need to work on curves some more. Right now I have to slow way down when I take curves, and I get nervous when a car gets behind me.

Sometimes I wonder if a scooter like a Honda PCX would be better to learn on, since there's no shifting gears to get you confused.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,464,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
Did you recently move away from rain and snow?

I suddenly developed an urge to ride a dirtbike at age 35. I took to it pretty fast and still love riding. I'm nearly 41 now and plan on buying my first official street bike. I can ride my other bikes on the street but it's a different feel. They're only good for short trips.. My next bike is going to be a sport bike, not a cruiser. It is definitely addictive. I believe that people near their 40's tend to be more responsible, so learning to ride and bike ownership is taken more seriously. It's not hard to ride a motorcycle but having to keep your eyes on everyone on the road can be tiresome. Also, you should get a bike you can easily maneuver and feel comfortable riding in all kinds of elements.

I say GO FOR IT!!
Riding off-road in dirt, mud, and streams REALLY helps one to be a good road rider!

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-08-2013, 09:37 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,464,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Im 34 and I just bought a Ninja 250 that I'm learning to ride. Going over 60mph still makes me nervous, and I need to work on curves some more. Right now I have to slow way down when I take curves, and I get nervous when a car gets behind me.

Sometimes I wonder if a scooter like a Honda PCX would be better to learn on, since there's no shifting gears to get you confused.
Have you done any Motorcycle Safety courses?

IMHO even a 250 Ninja has a "pointy" type of handling. If you lean much on it, that could give you a scary sensation at speed for a newbie. Something with an upright position may be a better choice until you get into the "groove" of biking.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-08-2013, 09:46 PM

526 posts, read 900,590 times
husband was early 60's when "learned"/got endorsement -- probably been on dirt bikes when he was a kid, thu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles