Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
What video are you watching? It is obviously not the same one I watched.
I'm watching this one ..GOPR2900 - YouTube And it looks to me like the suv and the bike are both in the middle lane, the video cuts out for a moment and now the biker is solidly in the middle lane and while the biker is slowing he isnt slowing so fast that the suv driver couldnt have also slowed down to avoid running into the biker . This suv driver doesnt get the concept of slowing down to avoid an incident.. even though the bikers are acting like idiots i think the suv driver could have avoided running into the biker..
If i was the suv driver and saw all these bikers coming up i would have moved over to the far right lane and reduced my speed till all the bikers had passed,i would never have tried to pace or pass or run in the middle of this bunch of undisciplined riders.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-03-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 01:11 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
biker that started the event is in left lane, in front of biker in white:

8 secs later, he "merged" to the center lane, forcing the SUV to make room :

Old 10-03-2013, 01:18 PM

Now, biker has words/exchanges with the SUV. Note how close he's riding to the SUV, how there is clear room ahead of the biker to ride on ahead, and how there are bikers all around the SUV:

Biker brake-checking or simply easing the throttle way down and looking back at the SUV before he was tapped.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM

SUV stopped and so do all the bikers all around the SUV, in the middle of the highway, blocking all traffic.
Our broken-legged "victim" who's not involved in the accident, parked himself right in front of the SUV:

It was alleged that the SUV tires were slashed/spiked at this time.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:57 PM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Maybe the bikers were attempting to slow/stop traffic so they could have the highway to themselves? This has happened in many cities. These bikers want to use the roadway for their own personal playground and will block other motorists in order to do it. Maybe the SUV in question "leaked" through the block and they wanted to stop it? Notice the lack of other 4 wheel vehicles on the roadway during the incident.

In my opinion these bikers need to investigate booking a track facility to play at. They have no business on our roadways. What if someone was having a personal emergency such as a sick child at school, an elderly relative in trouble or just having to poop? They think they can block other motorists access to the roadway so they can play?

Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
The bikers were criminals trying to stir up s**t and they succeeded, particularly the one who is paralyzed for life.

The young SUV driver was just a guy living the American dream, found himself under attack, and did what he had to do to protect his wife and daughter. And he did so successfully, both are safe and sound. Kudos to Alexian Lien. I am a long time motorcyclist.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Run-over Mass. biker has long criminal record | Boston Herald

The guy was a career criminal. Quotes below

The Lawrence motor*cyclist struck and paralyzed as a desperate SUV driver tried to escape the rage of other bikers in New York on Sunday has a six-page criminal record that began at age 12 with a negligent driving charge and includes jail time for drugs, guns, resisting arrest and other convictions, according to court records. - See more at: Run-over Mass. biker has long criminal record | Boston Herald

Old 10-04-2013, 12:54 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If the story is true. I highly doubt the bikers saw a cage and said "Hey lets attack it"? You can call it terrorism if that's what you makes you feel better. Every little thing is terrorism nowadays.
You need to read this post in another thread on the subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/31650272-post116.html

"As a trucker that would deliver in north jersey and New York I am familiar with these gangs. I can hopefully clarify a few things. First the initial "accident" is part of a game they play. They ride in a huge group and will operate together to slow down traffic. Next they pick out high end vehicles targeting people with families in them, the targets will usually be white or Asian. Then one of the riders will do a "brake check" and stop suddenly in front of the target vehicle causing a minor bump. In some cases they will just roll back into their target vehicle. They will then mob the vehicle demanding money and or begin attacking the person inside. It is their practice to also slash the tires to prevent the vehicle from escaping."

Mr. Lien and his family fit the target profile exactly. So the bikers did single him out and attack him. It was terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I watched the video again and it didnt look like the rider braked but simply rolled off a tad. It is possible that the driver was distracted by his wife or the other riders and did not see the biker in front of him roll off thus causing the initial collision. Regardless, the right thing to do would have been to pull over, exchange insurance and drivers license information and wait for the police to arrive. That is what I would have done had I been driving the SUV.
If you watch the video carefully, you can see Cruz's brake light come on. He intentionally brake checked, after the SUV was surrounded by other bikers and had no place to go. Lien could not pull over because he was surrounded by bikers.

You are also leaving out the part about the bikers surrounding the vehicle, pounding on it, and slashing the tires.

Also, once Cruz forced the SUV to stop, all the bikers also stopped. Think about where they stop. If you say they should have pulled over, why did they all stop in the middle of the freeway? They knew no cars or trucks would be coming up behind them because the on ramps were blocked by other bikers.

Those of you who ride motorcycles are doing your hobby no good by trying to defend what happened to Mr. Lien. Cruz and his buddies singled out that vehicle, forced the driver to stop, and attacked him. Mieses was in the thick of it. It's terrible that he was injured, but Lien was justified in getting his family out of a situation in which he and his family were being threatened with bodily harm. He was afraid they were going to get killed.

So, to those of you who are responsible cyclists, what do you think should be done to take cretins like the ones in NYC that caused this incident off the road? Would you call 911 if you saw a mob of "crotch rockets" forming --- or join it?

I have never ridden a motorcycle and have no desire to do so. I have respect for those who follow the rules when they are on the highway. The ones who zip by me going 90+ MPH scare me, and I always expect to see a crumpled bike and a body in the road when I get a few miles further along. Then the driver of the vehicle that hit the cycle has to live with causing a fatality, even if it was the motorcyclist that caused the wreck.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:01 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Those of you who ride motorcycles are doing your hobby no good by trying to defend what happened to Mr. Lien. Cruz and his buddies singled out that vehicle, forced the driver to stop, and attacked him. Mieses was in the thick of it. It's terrible that he was injured, but Lien was justified in getting his family out of a situation in which he and his family were being threatened with bodily harm. He was afraid they were going to get killed.

So, to those of you who are responsible cyclists, what do you think should be done to take cretins like the ones in NYC that caused this incident off the road? Would you call 911 if you saw a mob of "crotch rockets" forming --- or join it?
have you even read this thread? most of us were talking about how sh*tty those motorcyclists are and almost no one is one their side

of course i'd call 911, and of course i wouldn't "join" the mob, not that i'd even be welcome with a cruiser and full gear

Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
have you even read this thread? most of us were talking about how sh*tty those motorcyclists are and almost no one is one their side

of course i'd call 911, and of course i wouldn't "join" the mob, not that i'd even be welcome with a cruiser and full gear
Yes, I read the thread. Did you read the posts I responded to?

There are posters here who are denying that Lien was terrorized and alleging he just should have "pulled over" and exchanged insurance in formation.

I am glad to know you would have reported them.

Would you call 911 if you saw another cyclist speeding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles