Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 01:54 PM

24,496 posts, read 10,825,052 times

Advertisements

My grandmother told me sex is dangerous and bikes are safe. Things must have changed. Ride on!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 06:55 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,137 times
Always true.....aviation and bikes kill the young and stupid quickly. I've done both. Riding since 1962 and have gone thru 42 bikes so far and I'm still here. Commuted over 100 miles a day for years on SoCal freeways......it can be done. The white line is good and the only thing that preserved a little sanity.........

Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 AM

36 posts, read 34,579 times
Smart phones changed the world for bike street riding. Inattentive drivers are bad - been riding for 35 years.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:24 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
I started driving on the streets in 1987, I still ride the Hayabusa I have now. I don't ride as much these days but I don't want to give it up yet.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:10 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
I have driven bikes for years and no accidents.
Close calls yes, but nothing more than that.
I live in southern California and I do not ride in groups and I steer clear of heavy traffic and pay close attention to how people drive in front and behind. I have had people looking right at me and pull into my lane deliberately trying to create a problem. People in cars are dangerous.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,453,158 times
Also insurance companies claim one of the biggest areas of 'growth' in the past few years has been the 'yuge' increase in motorcycle accidents involving 'older' riders, some trying to recapture their youth on heavy 'V-Twins', and often 2-up... even though many haven't been on a bike in years, and their bodies can no longer cash the checks their 'self-image' has been writing!

Baby boomers dying to ride motorcycles

Old 05-12-2021, 10:44 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Also insurance companies claim one of the biggest areas of 'growth' in the past few years has been the 'yuge' increase in motorcycle accidents involving 'older' riders, some trying to recapture their youth on heavy 'V-Twins', and often 2-up... even though many haven't been on a bike in years, and their bodies can no longer cash the checks their 'self-image' has been writing!

Baby boomers dying to ride motorcycles
Next to noobies, the "re-entry" rider has the highest rate of death amongst motorcyclists. The reason above is only one of the reasons as causation.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:29 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
I’ve seen responsible riders and jerk riders. Don’t automatically assume the driver was to blame in all motorcycle accidents. There are aggressive and reckless riders who cause accidents. I’ve even seen riders trying to use their smartphone while riding. I think riding today is a bit more dangerous because of so many drivers being distracted and not properly trained in driving and sharing the road. I’m not a motorbike rider. Wouldn’t mind a city bike like the Honda Cub or Trail but will probably just settle for riding the bicycle around town and even that comes with risk with the drivers today.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRoadboss View Post
Smart phones changed the world for bike street riding. Inattentive drivers are bad - been riding for 35 years.
Wife got rear ended by a 23 year old girl whose "brakes jammed". Yeah sure. It is getting scary out there. I pulled up beside a Harley at a light and told the rider that I loved his tee shirt and had to get one. "HOW'D YOU LIKE THAT CELL PHONE SHOVED UP YOU (guess the rest)".
When I am King texting while driving WILL be a capital offense.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:01 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,737,314 times
The one rule I used when I was still riding was that if I must, really must to get some other place in a big hurry, don't take the bike, take the car.

In my worst accident the engine was off and the bike wasn't rolling. I parked on wet grass and I slipped while getting off, fell down, and the Suzuki 1000 G fell on top of me. I wasn't hurt but the spectators lost their breakfast from laughing too hard.

Last edited by mgforshort; 05-16-2021 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles