Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
To answer the OP, wasn't "Duel," with Dennis Weaver, one of these types of movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBing View Post
I think Duel was originally a tv movie and later released as a movie at the theater.
It was a short story by Richard Matheson ("I Am Legend", "The Shrinking Man") that was originally published in "Playboy", and made as a TV movie by Steven Speilberg. I don't know if it was ever released for theater showings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 AM

7,121 posts, read 5,232,235 times
Yes, "Duel" was such a TV hit and was considered such an excellent work that it was released both in the United States and in theater overseas. I watched it several times recently, and it definitely holds up!

Here are some I recall, a few of which I have been able to see again:
Tribes
Killdozer
She Waits
The People
Black Noon
Bad Ronald
Crawlspace
Sandcastles
Go Ask Alice
Night Slaves
Ritual of Evil
The Love War
Satan's Triangle
Crowhaven Farm
Hauser's Memory
Don't Go to Sleep
The Norliss Tapes
When Michael Calls
Fear No Evil (1969)
Last Bride of Salem
A Cold Night's Death
The Bermuda Depths
Scream Pretty Peggy
Daughter of the Mind
Horror at 37,000 Feet
Song of the Succubus
A Howling in the Woods
Haunts of the Very Rich
The House That Wouldn't Die
Welcome Home, Johnny Bristol
Where Have All the People Gone?
Something Evil ~ also directed by Spielberg
QB VII ~ This might be the first TV miniseries.
The Dark Secret of Harvest Home (TV miniseries)
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark ~ which was remade as a theatrical release I'm not sure I want to see

I might be older than some posters, so these are quite clear in my memory even though I haven't seen them for decades.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 01-08-2013 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 01-08-2013, 03:16 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,916,615 times
"Cyborg", based on the novel. The movie spawned the series "The Six Million Dollar Man".

Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post

Here are some I recall, a few of which I have been able to see again:

Bad Ronald

"Bad Ronald" was also written by Richard Matheson. I saw it on its initial broadcast, and haven't seen it since. I remember it as being pretty ridiculous and was surprised when I found out years later that it was a Matheson story. I'd really like to see it again.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM

283 posts, read 508,474 times
Oh man, yeah.

One of my favorite all-time movies was on TV back around 1980 or so. (I'm goin' on memory here, so don't quote me.)

But I remember it was called "The Promise" and starred James Woods and James Garner as brothers. Woods was a raving schizophrenic (great role for him!) and Garner, his older brother, had once made a "promise" to thier now-deceased mother that he would take care of Woods when she died.
Both actors gave one of the most powerful performances of their careers. Woods especially was awesome, and he should have won an Emmy for his role. (I dunno: maybe he did!)

Old 01-09-2013, 01:42 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,220,712 times
Given the way that Hollywood loves to remake old movies, I'm surprised that these old scripts haven't been resurrected.

I recall "The Day The Earth Moved", starring Jackie Cooper as a pilot whose photographic equipment seems to be able to predict earthquakes. Of course, nobody believes him. Also had Stella Stevens and Cleavon Little.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I recall "The Day The Earth Moved", starring Jackie Cooper as a pilot whose photographic equipment seems to be able to predict earthquakes. Of course, nobody believes him. Also had Stella Stevens and Cleavon Little.

If Stella Stevens is in it, it's worth seeing.

She was hotter than the surface of the sun.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
I have seen 3

1) On the edge of innocence - 1997

A good movie...... I have since discovered a 2nd part to this but I havent ever seen it!

2) Living with the dead - 2002

An excellent movie with a surprising ending!! -- You really need to be in the right frame of mind to understand the ending!!!! (It brought me to tears -- A touching movie)

3) Red Alert - 1977

A good movie about a power plant employee gone bad...... Thankfully they get him before anything really big happens!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM

33,264 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
You'd probably have to be around my age (50) to recall, but the 1970's through (roughly) the early 1980's were what I'd call the heyday of the made-for-TV movie. The major networks used to have a "movie of the week" or something like that. Sometimes they were OK and sometimes not.

I can remember watching titles such as "Gargoyles", "Birds Of Prey" (with David Janssen as an ex-World War II pilot flying a helicopter in pursuit of the bad guys), "The Disappearance Of Flight 412" (with a young David Soul), and a myriad of others. Often times they'd feature young actors who would later become well-known Hollywood names.

If shown nowadays I'm sure they would be somewhat corny and dated, but they were enjoyable "back in the day". Anyone have any positive/negative memories of these?
I remember ''Gargoyles'' if it's the one I'm thinking of. I liked it. A made for TV movie I really enjoyed was the 1998 'The Cowboy and the Movie Star' staring Sean Young and Perry King.

Do you remember ABC's Movie of the Week opening?

ABC Movie of the Week opening sequence, created in 1969 - YouTube

Old 04-04-2014, 01:42 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
If shown nowadays I'm sure they would be somewhat corny and dated, but they were enjoyable "back in the day". Anyone have any positive/negative memories of these?
They're still around, just not as frequent. Tom Selleck does the Jesse Stone movies every year or two. Stephen King books used to come out as made for TV movies every few years (Salem's Lot, The Shining, IT, and the excellent Storm of the Century). Broken Trail from a few years back was quite good.

TV is changing. Cable is putting the networks to shame. I think cable series have largely taken the place of the made for TV movie. Rather than a movie that runs for a night or a mini-series that runs for a few nights, cable is putting out series of 14 or 15 episodes that run for 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies