Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times

Advertisements

Ya'll reminded me... Monty Python and Woody Allen. Yuck.

Frankly, after Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn died, so did Hollywood for me. I'm 45 and rarely go to the movies anymore because most of it is trash to me. There aren't many people with my taste in movies.

I LIKE old movies from the 40's and 50's.
I LIKE family oriented films like Facing the Giants, The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry, Flywheel, Fireproof, Love Comes Softly, Time Changer, etc., I'm an old-fashioned Hallmark Hall of Fame movie person. (I know, go ahead and laugh.) I also like natural disaster and end of the world flicks! Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 12:29 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I agree on this one ^. It was the most boring, yet depressing, moving I've ever seen.
I kept thinking, "Okay, this is the ending..." and it wasn't. The movie could have ended in about a half a dozen places before it actually did.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I always say that Woody Allen's work is like sushi:

There is a small handful of people who actually like it, even love it, but a there's a huge number of people who say they like it, or even convince themselves they do, because they believe they're "supposed to" like it.
LMAO this is just what I say about sushi (really, does every single person actually like it?) , and when I admit to people I can't stand it they think I'm nuts!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Matrix- I just can't get through the first twenty minutes. It's oppressively boring.

Star Wars (all of them)- This ruins my nerd creed, but the first set I can't watch because Luke is such an annoying whiner, and the second set has so many plot holes I'm surprised the characters don't fall of the screen.

Avatar- Again with the plot holes. SOOO many plot holes. Not to mention the boring, derivative story line and characters. I can forgive plot holes if there's an interesting plot and a cool character to invest in, and this film just had nothing. Plus, the whole 'he's a better native than the natives' thing is downright insulting.

Rent- I used to love the play, but by the time the movie came out I was older and realizing just how asinine the plot is. Apparently 'no day but today' is a great excuse to make the same mistakes over and over, while acting surprised when things don't go well. Also- pay up, you hippie squatters.

What's that movie? The one with the church and the code and the incredibly bland actor? Yeah, I hate that one too- I tried to watch it with my mom, and we both gave up half an hour in. Great insomnia cure though.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Any work of Nicholas Sparks put to film (as well as the books themselves, but that's another thread). But I know I'm not alone in that. Lots of people recognize it for the crappy pap that it is.

Quentin Tarantino movies, all of them, make my yuck list. Just not my aesthetic. People seem not to get that.

I don't mind musicals as a genre, because I don't expect them to be something they're not (i.e. realistic). But that doesn't mean I love all musicals.

Heist movies and espionage thrillers have never been high on my list of preferences, either...the rare exception is usually due to the presence of favorite actors (like in the case of both versions of the Manchurian Candidate)

Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Matrix- I just can't get through the first twenty minutes. It's oppressively boring.

Star Wars (all of them)- This ruins my nerd creed, but the first set I can't watch because Luke is such an annoying whiner, and the second set has so many plot holes I'm surprised the characters don't fall of the screen.

Avatar- Again with the plot holes. SOOO many plot holes. Not to mention the boring, derivative story line and characters. I can forgive plot holes if there's an interesting plot and a cool character to invest in, and this film just had nothing. Plus, the whole 'he's a better native than the natives' thing is downright insulting.

Rent- I used to love the play, but by the time the movie came out I was older and realizing just how asinine the plot is. Apparently 'no day but today' is a great excuse to make the same mistakes over and over, while acting surprised when things don't go well. Also- pay up, you hippie squatters.

What's that movie? The one with the church and the code and the incredibly bland actor? Yeah, I hate that one too- I tried to watch it with my mom, and we both gave up half an hour in. Great insomnia cure though.
Are you thinking of the DaVinci Code? I was asleep within ten minutes of that one.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Grease-I hate the movie with a passion.. I hate musicals-if I wanted to see one I'd go see a play.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Ugh, just remembered another movie I hate that everyone seems to love, and it got all kinds of awards & nominations:

Thelma & Louise

Two women exercise exceedingly poor judgement over and over again, taking them from the innocent victims of a crime to reckless criminals who kill themselves. Somehow this movie became some kind of icon of female strength and friendship. Please.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:25 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Are you thinking of the DaVinci Code? I was asleep within ten minutes of that one.

That's the one! The only reason we got through the first half hour was both of us thought the OTHER person wanted to see it, and didn't want to admit it was terrible.

To the person who said Grease- full hearted agreement. Such an awesomely bad moral...

Old 07-25-2011, 11:19 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,879 times
The Godfather saga.
Scarface.
Any Mafia or Mobster Movie.
Dune.
The Usual Suspects.

Until I remember the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies