Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Star Wars
Dr. Strangelove
Batman
Pulp Fiction
Pirates of the Caribbean movies
I liked Star Wars, Batman, and the first two Pirates of the Caribbean, and never saw Dr. Strangelove. I hated Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs. They just wanted to see how much they could swear and have pointless dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,705 times
Tropic Thunder
The Hangover

Many people thought these movies were hilarious. I didn't, and I will laugh at anything as long as it's funny.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM

696 posts, read 1,301,836 times
The Hunger Games was overrated. Not a bad movie but overrated imho. I will not watch the sequels.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:25 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
My thoughts on Citizen Kane (and Orson Welles) in general line up with those of Ingmar Bergman (who is, in my opinion, a much better director).

Quote:
On Orson Welles:
Bergman: For me he's just a hoax. It's empty. It's not interesting. It's dead. Citizen Kane, which I have a copy of - is all the critics' darling, always at the top of every poll taken, but I think it's a total bore. Above all, the performances are worthless. The amount of respect that movie's got is absolutely unbelievable.
Interviewer: How about The Magnificent Ambersons?
Bergman: Nah. Also terribly boring. And I've never liked Welles as an actor, because he's not really an actor. In Hollywood you have two categories, you talk about actors and personalities. Welles was an enormous personality, but when he plays Othello, everything goes down the drain, you see, that's when he's croaks. In my eyes he's an infinitely overrated filmmaker.
Source: EuroScreenwriters - Interviews with European Film Directors - Ingmar Bergman

Mind you, disliking a film like Citizen Kane is unlikely to attract any negative response from your average film viewer. It's usually the type of film geek that has no original thoughts of their own and form their opinions based on reviews and polls done by critics that only appeal to an American or British sensibility. Not to mention that you're sure to be dismissed as somebody who "knows nothing about film" if you don't acknowledge CK as a great film. Personally, I prefer films that emphasize mood and texture over a tightly structured plot and technical showmanship.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Rocky.

I hated Rocky movies and i think i am the only one.
Hahaha...yeah, the Rocky movies are pretty terrible.

True Story: I used to have this friend that believed the only way a film could be considered "good" is if it showed the triumph and heroism that humanity is capable of. Big Frank Capra fan obviously. He actually viewed the Rocky films as deep and philosophical. Rocky IV was his all-time favorite film. He considered it to be among the greatest films ever made.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:32 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
Y'all are killing me with the hatred of "The Sound of Music". Julie Andrews is a goddess in my book. Of course, I AM a music teacher. LOL. But I hate Rent, can't get into the music, don't understand the hype.

I also hate the Batman movies, and never really found The Princess Bride entertaining.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
Top Gun, a authentically crappy movie. Mirthless, unexciting film with one of the least believable romantic subplots ever.
Oh, but if you were a 17-year-old girl when it came out, it was a fabulous movie! Ah, the memories.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM

58,869 posts, read 1,993,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There are very popular movies I have avoided/never watched:

Forrest Gump
It's A Wonderful Life
Shawshank Redemption
Dances With Wolves
I can relate ... I've tried to watch Dances with Wolves 3 or 4 times ... and I simply cannot do it. I think the main problem is that I'm not a big Kevin Costner fan.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,028,006 times
Almost no movies are that extreme for me - either I find them overrrated but don't hate them (e.g. Caddyshack) , or I hate them but they're hardly universally loved (e.g. the Twilight movies).

The closest thing for me would probably be The Usual Suspects.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Tropic Thunder
The Hangover

Many people thought these movies were hilarious. I didn't, and I will laugh at anything as long as it's funny.
I agree with these. If I recall correctly, I thought the first Hangover movie was barely okay (maybe). That's the only one I saw.

We started watching Tropic Thunder but ended up turning it off. I still hear good things about it, so eventually I'm going to try it one more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies