Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 34,005,340 times

Advertisements

Boston. Boston just sucks a$$ no matter what. I am instantly NOT INTERESTED if its a Boston based movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,860,062 times
That two lane highway in the desert with a bunch of electrical/telephone poles on either side that is suppose to take you from SoCal to Las Vegas. I wonder if this real road is in Lancaster?? Last time I checked Southern Californians use the 15 freeway.

-Cheers.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,557,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
That two lane highway in the desert with a bunch of electrical/telephone poles on either side that is suppose to take you from SoCal to Las Vegas. I wonder if this real road is in Lancaster?? Last time I checked Southern Californians use the 15 freeway.

-Cheers.
That's a good one... In Hollywood films if one wants to travel across the Southwest--even if you're a city slicker just travelling from Los Angeles to some other big city across the country--one most drive through a rugged two lane desert highway. I-10, I-15, or I-40 will never be an option.

And if your car breaks down along the way, your only option will be a desolate yet surprisingly dangerous small town. All of which will have a atmospheric diner straight out of 1951 with oldies playing on the jukebox, a old-fashioned auto repair shop with couple of colorful mechanics, a country bar with a hot redneck barmaid, corrupt local police officials who will never be of any help at all,, and also plenty of other local yokels, who despite their simple and slow outward appearances, are actually ruthless criminals. There will never be any modern chain stores or franchises in these small towns and there won't be a Walmart in sight either.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,010,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's a good one... In Hollywood films if one wants to travel across the Southwest--even if you're a city slicker just travelling from Los Angeles to some other big city across the country--one most drive through a rugged two lane desert highway. I-10, I-15, or I-40 will never be an option.

And if your car breaks down along the way, your only option will be a desolate yet surprisingly dangerous small town. All of which will have a atmospheric diner straight out of 1951 with oldies playing on the jukebox, a old-fashioned auto repair shop with couple of colorful mechanics, a country bar with a hot redneck barmaid, corrupt local police officials who will never be of any help at all,, and also plenty of other local yokels, who despite their simple and slow outward appearances, are actually ruthless criminals. There will never be any modern chain stores or franchises in these small towns and there won't be a Walmart in sight either.
that pretty much sums up travelling in america hollywood style.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,559,637 times
I think Los Angeles looks better when it's actually located in Vancouver...

Old 10-27-2011, 01:56 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,478,001 times
For me it's New York. I am tired of seeing NYC as the backdrop for most genres. The most recent one I watched was Arthur with Russell Brand. Of course, it was New York. I can deal with the Caribbean because I would love to go there

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM

19,764 posts, read 20,330,715 times
Definitely California.

And Washington D.C. because I hate movies about the government.

Or Westerns, I cannot stand deserts, it's all the dust and brown and orange...ugghhh..and wooden saloons, and their dirty clothes...ehhlch

Then we have desert war movies....lol

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM

9,544 posts, read 16,568,931 times
I live in Portland and there are movies, TV shows and commercials filmed right outside my Apt bldg and around the city. I think the city is rather an overrated setting for films. I know its revenue for the city and thats all well and good, but at times it gets annoying. Alot of tie ups and closed off streets due to all the filming. I never knew until living here, that Portland subs for many other locales in the film industry. Personally I don't think the city looks anything at all like Boston, yet a TV show was filming here doing outside shots that were suppose to be set in Boston.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:43 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,006,185 times
I'm tired of movies being filmed in Canada.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,256,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

yep - and the only cactus is the saguaro ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies