Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yep - and the only cactus is the saguaro ......
And there will be a shot of tumbleweeds blowing across a road with a twangy, bluesy guitar lick on the soundtrack too... Just to drive home the point that this town is way out there in the desert boondocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 02:08 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,246,044 times
NYC, NYC NYC, LA, Miami

Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
Foley editors dub in sound tracks of birds, frogs, etc. into outdoor scenes. It is hilarious how many times you can hear birds singing in films which do not naturally occur within a thousand miles of the setting.

Most often misused is the very recognizable Cactus Wren, occurring only in the southwestern deserts, but Hollywood foley editors don't know that it is a localized bird, so put it into scenes all over the USA and the world. Loons are also heard in every movie about the southern swamps, but they only migrate through the south, and never vocalize anywhere except on their breeding grounds in northern lakes.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,691,756 times
Ever notice when a movie is set in NYC the outdoor scene almost always has a car horn being blown as background noise? Like the audience would not recognize NY without that sound. Really I would like to see a movie set in another boro other than Manhattan. An action film set in the Bronx or Queens (not some back lot in LA)

Old 10-29-2011, 05:37 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,395,091 times
New York

Los Angeles

Miami

There are other US cities.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:31 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,649,457 times
NYC. It's not so much overrated but so OVERDONE in so many ways. It gets annoying and the depiction of NYC in most movies are corny and always make it seem like NYC is so dangerous and everyone has an attitude of some sort. So stupid.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:46 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times
It's not really an overrated setting as it's not used that often, but San Francisco is sort of abused as a movie setting. Just about every film set in San Francisco seems to treat the place as seen through the local tourst board. With the exception of a older few films it seems like they just use it as a chance to throw in a few shots of the Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars going up Nob Hill, a shot of the Victorian houses in Alamo Square--maybe a brief trip to Chinatown or Fisherman's Wharf too. But a lot of the films seem like they could be set anywhere--you could take a script set in New York or Chicago and place it in San Francisco as long as you show a few scenic shots. Maybe at the most there's a cliched joke about hippies or gays. And there's always a chance to copy the car chase in the film Bullit--which can be fairly cool if done right.

There's also the joke of the TV show Full House showing Alamo Square in the opening credits as being some sort of happy-go-lucky middle class family neighborhood--while at the time that the show was being filmed, that neighborhood was mostly a crime-ridden ghetto--the Tanner Family would've been robbed and beaten by a crackhead had they strolled down a few blocks in that neighborhood. There's also the film 48 Hours, where for some reason there's a country and western redneck bar in the middle of the Mission District... Now I was just toddler in 1982, but I sincerly doubt that the Mission had a bar with Confederate flags on the wall catering to cowboy hat wearing rednecks at anytime in the last 50 years.

And yeah, a lot of locations just serve as attractive scenery for a film that could be set anywhere. But at least some cities like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Boston occasionally get a film that seems to portray the place accurately. I think though, for the most part it's filmmakers from those cities who are writing their own stuff that actually will write something that exceeds just regional stereotypes and a few shots of famous landmarks.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,104,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I cannot even think of a single movie set in the Carribean. Is it really used that often?
I think it's used in a lot of comedies. People go to a resort/on vacation - stupid things happen.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:35 AM

19,769 posts, read 20,344,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's also the joke of the TV show Full House showing Alamo Square in the opening credits as being some sort of happy-go-lucky middle class family neighborhood--while at the time that the show was being filmed, that neighborhood was mostly a crime-ridden ghetto--the Tanner Family would've been robbed and beaten by a crackhead had they strolled down a few blocks in that neighborhood.
That's the episode where Joey goes to rehab.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,947,902 times
I'm laughing at the above post about San Francisco! I was all ready to be the first to post about it.

I guess the street with the colorful victorian homes I'm thinking of must be "Alamo Square" though I never knew the name.

After seeing it in numerous movies, I concluded that:
--everyone in SF lives on that street or near it
--everyone goes to the park right in front of it for playful banter, a romantic walk, or to hand over ransom money or a payoff

Even poor, young just-starting-out 20-somethings and artists can evidently afford to live in beautiful old SF victorians, or at least in an apartment in one of those victorians (even though even small condos sell for 1.2 million).

Then everyone in SF decides to have their most important conversations in life on a bench overlooking the Golden Gate Bridge. There must be a line of people 20 blocks long all waiting for each person or couple to vacate that bench so they can sit there and have their conversation.

I love So I Married An Axe Murderer, but even its use of SF scenes is trite and overdone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies