Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,947,902 times

Advertisements

Oh, another one is Seattle, or any similar Pacific Northwest city, where it's always dark and cloudy, always raining, but the people still have great hair and unwrinkled clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM

1,781 posts, read 4,036,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's a good one... In Hollywood films if one wants to travel across the Southwest--even if you're a city slicker just travelling from Los Angeles to some other big city across the country--one most drive through a rugged two lane desert highway. I-10, I-15, or I-40 will never be an option.

And if your car breaks down along the way, your only option will be a desolate yet surprisingly dangerous small town. All of which will have a atmospheric diner straight out of 1951 with oldies playing on the jukebox, a old-fashioned auto repair shop with couple of colorful mechanics, a country bar with a hot redneck barmaid, corrupt local police officials who will never be of any help at all,, and also plenty of other local yokels, who despite their simple and slow outward appearances, are actually ruthless criminals. There will never be any modern chain stores or franchises in these small towns and there won't be a Walmart in sight either.
Absolutely agree with you on this one. The real highways such as I-10 or I-40 that 95% of the people take to travel between major cities in the S.W. are nothing like that at all.

Also have to add the abandoned lot with 50s/60s cars parked all around.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,104,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh, another one is Seattle, or any similar Pacific Northwest city, where it's always dark and cloudy, always raining, but the people still have great hair and unwrinkled clothes.
The problem is "sunny California" is just not the right mood for dark movies. Can you imagine "Twilight," for example, in California?

I personally don't like cop movies/detective movies set in Callifornia.

Sort of related, how about the pier in California as a meeting place or where the stupid criminal runs to at the end of the movie? After eluding the cops through the entire movie, the guy runs to the one place where he'll be cornered (or die).

Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM

8,362 posts, read 13,510,803 times
Recent suspense or action movies where the character finds or has a cell phone and needs to use it due to a life or death situation and the effing thing either has no reception or runs out of battery...so overdone, so annoying.

If there is a computer or laptop a characters is using and logo is visible, it is always an Apple. Hackers always using GUI hacking tools, tools that are dumbed down enough where most everyone can tell what they are doing...sort of.

Evil and corrupt government officials always get busted and taken down by the end of the movie by the good guy(s) where in real life it is the other way around. So over done.

Who can forget how idiotic the evil Nazi soldiers were in Indiana Jones movies, getting fooled, beaten and killed so easily?

Vampire/werevolf movies, totally overdone now. Do not wanna see another one for a long while.

In horror movies the most typically overdone element is the order where a group of young people die, if you are: fat/nerd wearing glasses or a bimbo with fake **** or a girl with extra bubbly personality, he/she is guaranteed not make it till the end.

Family moves into a house and crazy stuff happening like chairs moving, doors opening and closing by themselves, things even flying/falling down in plain sight and they are still like "Hmmm, I wonder what is going on?"

All super hero, aliens, etc. come to USA so effing overdone! I would like to see a super hero rise out of Congo or Mongolia for once. How about an alien landing and trying to make first contact in Uruguay or Sri Lanka?

I am quite annoyed with everything being shot in Canada as well, especially TV shows. For example; X-Files, no matter what the location was it was always wet ground, overcast and cold. Even so called clear, sunny days you could tell the grass/roads were wet like it gets frequent rain. Some of the episodes were in Arizona in Summer time and they were still wearing their jackets running around. I am like "Really?".

Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
I've noticed lately that there is always at least one scene in every movie where it is raining.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,512,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think it's used in a lot of comedies. People go to a resort/on vacation - stupid things happen.
Yeah, the Carribean seems to be a popular setting for many movies with some sort of criminal/outlaw element in its plot.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM

10,182 posts, read 20,819,219 times
Los Angeles and New York City. They've been done to death and I'd rather see Hollywood pump new life into some of the smaller cities and towns around the country.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM

696 posts, read 1,304,103 times
Outstanding post, totally made my day !!! I agree with you with every one of them except for the vampire/werewolf movies, I like those movies and want them to continue making them (except the teenage crap like Twilight and such. Its not bad enough all the problems teenage guys have to go through in life on top of that now they have to compete with vampires with superpowers to win a girl's heart? Really....wtf !!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Recent suspense or action movies where the character finds or has a cell phone and needs to use it due to a life or death situation and the effing thing either has no reception or runs out of battery...so overdone, so annoying.

If there is a computer or laptop a characters is using and logo is visible, it is always an Apple. Hackers always using GUI hacking tools, tools that are dumbed down enough where most everyone can tell what they are doing...sort of.

Evil and corrupt government officials always get busted and taken down by the end of the movie by the good guy(s) where in real life it is the other way around. So over done.

Who can forget how idiotic the evil Nazi soldiers were in Indiana Jones movies, getting fooled, beaten and killed so easily?

Vampire/werevolf movies, totally overdone now. Do not wanna see another one for a long while.

In horror movies the most typically overdone element is the order where a group of young people die, if you are: fat/nerd wearing glasses or a bimbo with fake **** or a girl with extra bubbly personality, he/she is guaranteed not make it till the end.

Family moves into a house and crazy stuff happening like chairs moving, doors opening and closing by themselves, things even flying/falling down in plain sight and they are still like "Hmmm, I wonder what is going on?"

All super hero, aliens, etc. come to USA so effing overdone! I would like to see a super hero rise out of Congo or Mongolia for once. How about an alien landing and trying to make first contact in Uruguay or Sri Lanka?

I am quite annoyed with everything being shot in Canada as well, especially TV shows. For example; X-Files, no matter what the location was it was always wet ground, overcast and cold. Even so called clear, sunny days you could tell the grass/roads were wet like it gets frequent rain. Some of the episodes were in Arizona in Summer time and they were still wearing their jackets running around. I am like "Really?".

Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That's a good one...And then things get crazier for the family, and instead of just going to stay at a nearby motel, they decide they have to stay at the house while the walls are covered in blood, people rise up from the floorboards, spirits coming out of home appliances, etc. "But we put a load of money down for the place, hopefully this thing will blow over. We can't walk away from our mortgage!" Why not just complain to the real estate agent who sold you the place?

At least in Poltergeist they had the twist of the girl stuck in the TV, giving them reason to try to stay there to try to save her.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the movie "Rumble in the Bronx" with Jackie Chan? It's set in the Bronx, yet filmed in Vancouver BC... It's like "Wow, I never knew the Bronx was so clean and gentrified looking--and I never thought it had such a big population of Hong Kong Chinese. Oh, and why are there snowcapped mountains in the background? Must, be the northern tip of the borough, those Catskills are bigger than I thought!"

Then again there's a TV show "Leverage" filmed in Portland right now that's actually supposed to be set in Boston. I start watching it and I can't wait to see some great shots of Beacon Hill or the North End and end up seeing spots a few blocks from my house in Oregon.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Sort of related, how about the pier in California as a meeting place or where the stupid criminal runs to at the end of the movie? After eluding the cops through the entire movie, the guy runs to the one place where he'll be cornered (or die).
Every chase in Los Angeles ends up on the Venice or Santa Monica Pier. If you're a fugitive in Southern California you can never run north or east to the deserts or mountains or south to the Mexican border--you obviously have a hankering for a nice day at the beach and some cotton candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies