Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,359,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Also the OP should probably post the following which was written below the Top 10 Most Overrated Movies of All-Time list they quoted(stole)...
thread failed. OP plagiarized an April Fools' Joke from another site. Don't take that list too seriously now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,557,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
thread failed. OP plagiarized an April Fools' Joke from another site. Don't take that list too seriously now.
We still likey this thread though....

Here's mine:

The Notebook - I think that I am the only woman on planet Earth who hates that film

Any film with Adam Sandler

Any film with Will Ferrell

Any film with Cameron Diaz

Any comedy with Jim Carey

Any film by or starring Tyler Perry

Any film with Nicholas Cage

Old 01-14-2012, 10:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,121,778 times
The Godfather - all of them. Not terrible but not among the greatest movies of all time.

Rocky - all of them

Weird I'm saying this, because I like this film but Taxi Driver probably doesn't deserve the critical praise it's got. De Niro and Foster were great but the story felt a bit, I don't know, lacking in substance. Interesting Lennard Maltin panned the film.

All the King's Men

The Bicycle Thief - Not one of the 'greatest foreign films ever'.

The Seven Samurai - Three and a half hours of some guys wearing armour bantering in Japanese without much fighting.

Love Story - Highly overrated

I actually agree with Star Wars: A New Hope. I used to be a big SW fan but part IV is actually rather weak.

Lord of the Rings but I found the books dreadfully boring as well

Amelie - I found it a bit boring

I don't know if they're rated highly but most comedies starring Seth Rogan, Michael Cera, Jonah Hill etc.

Most films with Brad Pitt in them. He doesn't pick very good films.

Australia - Ugh

Dawn of the Dead

Wizard of Oz

Old 01-14-2012, 10:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,121,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpapayas View Post
My top 10 all time overrated list:

1) The Godfather series overall, part I was okay but part II supercedes it with the superlative performance of Robert De Niro(the best person to portray a don on screen till date) but it went on a downward spiral starting from the III movie.

2) Rocky series - Part I was superb and people always love a movie which shows the rise of an underdog against all the odds, part II was okay but starting part III it went downhill. Part IV was the worst with the stereotypical portrayal of Soviet Union and its athletes, might have made profits during the heights of cold war but when watched now, a pretty poor effect

3) Wall E - Yet another mumbo jumbo crap about how we are destroying the planet with an unconvincing explanation for what the future holds.

4) Avatar - Need I say more

5) The Shining - Jack Nicholson was terrific as the obsessed and schizophrenic writer living in a desolate mountain town in Boulder, CO. The sets and the location made the atmosphere really eerie and kudos to Stanley Kubrick for that but the movie falls short because of a sub par plot that wasn't too convincing.

Need to think about the rest of the list, will come back shortly with the other 5 and then a few movies that were extremely underrated.
I agree with the Shining. Most horror movies seem overrated. The Ring is another. Halloween wasn't that scary either.

I also agree with Avatar - the story seemed unoriginal.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,933,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
What about Lawrence of Arabia? I never saw what other people did in that film.
I can tell you what most reasonable people saw in that film: a perfect sleep aid. Great premise, boring movie.

A few other overrated films, in nobody's view but mine:

The whole damn Star Wars franchise.

Damn near everything with Woody Allen's name attached to it. (How many times can you watch the same self-possessed neurotic schlep character without wanting to barf?)

Anything with Rocky in the title other than the first film.

The Crying Game---I still can't believe everyone got so worked up trying to find new ways to praise a lame espionage story whose sole distinguishing feature was a transvestite shocking the gullible when she/he showed his actual or alleged swinging death. (I'm still convinced the Best Supporting Actor award was intended for the gonad, not for the actor attached to it.)

Gandhi

The Piano

Funny Girl (Sorry, but there's still a good film to be made about Fanny Brice, though I'll give Blabra Streisand credit where due: she did her damndest making a silk purse out of that sow's ear of a script.)

Erin Brockovich (The New York Times's critic had it right: Julia Roberts did spend the first forty minutes proving she was a great actress and the last ninety proving she was happy being a mere movie star, and all on behalf of a film that played a little too loose with the facts, but then Hollywood never has been shy about keeping facts from butting in on a good story.)

The Pride of the Yankees (See Erin Brockovich, sort of---in this case, the absolute bowdlerisation of Lou Gehrig's actual farewell speech---which was so famous even at the time the film was made that it was inexcusable not to get the actual text of what Gehrig actually said---absolutely destroyed the film, which up until then was a quite harmless exercise in stretchers and a few tall tales; and to those who say "it's only a movie," well, if you're basing it on facts or on history, then facts and history have their legitimate claims, too.)

Quiz Show (Actually, this was excellent filmmaking of a badly bowdlerised story, and the bowdlerising only begins with portraying Charles Van Doren as a highbrow version of a swinging bachelor. It continues with completely ignoring the incident that finally provoked the idea that Herb Stempel wasn't just whistling in the wind when he began blowing the whistle on quiz show fixing: the Dotto incident, in which one contestant found another's notebook full of advance questions and answers, tried to blackmail the show's producer over it, and provoked an immediate internal probe by that show's sponsor and network and---while it was yet the blockbuster quiz hit of its inaugural summer---its swift cancellation, leading to the moves that finally put Twenty-One on a kind of trial. It continues further with the misplacement of Richard Goodwin in the quiz show investigations---he wasn't even close to being the lead digger in that scandal, he actually came in toward the climax of the probes, though the film would obviously have you believe otherwise. And, when all is said and done, the film is really a diatribe against television itself, not that television is immune to criticism but Robert Redford seems to have started with an attitude toward spanking television and then proceeded to make a history-based film without knowing or caring about certain critical details of that history. Trivia: Charles Van Doren broke his long silence about his role in the Twenty-One fixing a few years ago, in a New Yorker article. He was quite sober about the entire thing. But he also admitted having a great laugh when he saw the film and caught the script having Herb Stempel refer to him as "Charles Van ****ing Doren" and "Charles Van Moron.")

Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 AM

14,706 posts, read 14,683,187 times
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but Cuckoo's Nest and Raging Bull overrated, but Forrest Gump and Dances with Wolves just fine as Academy picks? Please.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM

358 posts, read 711,630 times
Three words....Dead...Poets...Society

Old 01-15-2012, 06:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,738,422 times
I walked out on Forrest Gump.

I have never regretted it.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,978,530 times
Almost every Oscar-winning or Oscar-nominated movie since the 1990s has been a borefest. In no particular order I think Titanic, Braveheart, Munich, and all three Lord of the Rings movies stand out most in my mind. I have refused to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Avatar. Here is a funny link talking about Oscar movies:

Trailer For Every Oscar-Winning Movie Ever - YouTube

Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,258,689 times
Avatar, Inception, Boondock Saints, all the new Batman movies = they all suck.

I also don't understand why LA Confidential was considered such a great movie. It was mediocre at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies