Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,989,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Avatar, Inception, Boondock Saints, all the new Batman movies = they all suck.

I also don't understand why LA Confidential was considered such a great movie. It was mediocre at best.
I haven't seen the new Batman movies, Inception or Boondock Saints but I do agree with your assessment of LA Confidential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:15 PM

668 posts, read 995,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most films with Brad Pitt in them. He doesn't pick very good films.
Wait, what??? You don't have to like the man, but he has a pretty stellar filmography. He could have easily coasted through his career playing dull leads in romantic comedies, but you have to give him credit for taking on more challenging "artsy" films like Tree of Life or The Assassination of Jesse James or even Burn After Reading. He also made (and I mean he didn't just star in them - he *made* the movie with his performance) a number of flat out cult classics like Inglourious Basterds, Fight Club, Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Snatch and Kalifornia. He even stole the scenes in which he appeared in True Romance. And while the Ocean movies weren't great, they were at least completely competent and engrossing by Hollywood standards. He'll probably be one of the best things in the upcoming World War Z, as well. I'd say that output far outweighs the occasional Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Benjamin Button.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
I agree with most of those in the OP.

However, it is not fair to judge a movie like Star Wars, just because it did not age well. The reason it didn't age well was because it created an entire new concept singlehandedly, which is the one everybody ran with and tried to outdo the original, which was totally awesome.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,138,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
Wait, what??? You don't have to like the man, but he has a pretty stellar filmography. He could have easily coasted through his career playing dull leads in romantic comedies, but you have to give him credit for taking on more challenging "artsy" films like Tree of Life or The Assassination of Jesse James or even Burn After Reading. He also made (and I mean he didn't just star in them - he *made* the movie with his performance) a number of flat out cult classics like Inglourious Basterds, Fight Club, Se7en, 12 Monkeys, Snatch and Kalifornia. He even stole the scenes in which he appeared in True Romance. And while the Ocean movies weren't great, they were at least completely competent and engrossing by Hollywood standards. He'll probably be one of the best things in the upcoming World War Z, as well. I'd say that output far outweighs the occasional Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Benjamin Button.
I don't know, maybe his movies don't personally appeal to me that much. I have enjoyed some of them, while he didn't play a major role Natural Born Killers is one, Interview with the Vampire, Inglorious Basterds, Snatch wasn't bad. But recently he's made some bad ones, Ocean's Eleven (some will disagree), Mr and Mrs Smith (horrible), Troy. Fight Club was okay. Benjamin Button likewise okay but nothing great. He hasn't made one film which is in my top 20.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:12 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,836 times
Thelma and Louise - just another boring action film with long car chase scenes, this time with women. Yawn . . .

Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,848,652 times
Here's my list, unedited and unplagiarized for your reading enjoyment:

Us nerds just need to own up to the fact that we only watched it 8 times for the almost naked alien chicks that are just the right shape to turn us on. Otherwise, we've already seen Fern Gully when we were kids and don't need to see it again. I Know there are nipples in there somewhere... maybe if I watch it 1 more time...

The Dark Knight:

What is the greatest villain portrayal in all movie history? Darth Vader, duh. Just because ole Heath got himself killed like an idiot doesn't mean we have to keep worshiping his version of the Joker. I felt more like an agent of chaos listening to that spinney batsy soundtrack music than from watching the Joker set up oh so impossibly retarded morality "challenges" for Batman to foil. It was a movie just as cerebral as a Jim Carrey flick minus the fart jokes, and only seems good because we're still comparing it subconsciously to Batman and Robin.

The Star Wars Prequels:

Any kid who spent all year begging their parents for a Millenium Falcon for Christmas, slept in a Tan Tan sleeping bag, or discovered certain biological imperatives in Jabba's Palace knows the horror of their childhood being ripped out of their hands and crushed like a pile of old droids under the foot of an AT AT. Me sa tinks me needs more money, okeyday? Curse you George Lucas, from hells heart I stabbeth thee and trade my Jedi robes for a Starfleet uniform.

Harry Potter Series:

I still don't get it... some bratty little English kids, some fancy chopsticks, an evil wizard (Again? How scary!) and... school?! HELL NO! Fantasy has babes, castles, midevil warriors dueling to the death, no rules, and absolutely no dorky eyeglasses. I can't be the only one who looked around the theater (I was forced to, I have Harry Potter fans in my life too) when Dobby died and wondered exactly why the hell everyone else was crying... maybe because the movie was so long and they all had to go to the bathroom real bad? Firmly grasping our mandrake and quickly pulling it out of the pot has never been so boring.

The Twilight Series:

Ah.. so this is what would happen if Mormons were vampires. I guess we'll be OK if Romney becomes president after all! Lets put aside the fact that we shouldn't encourage teenage girls to fall in love with monsters who want to kill them, that vampires twinkle in the sunlight instead of the time honored tradition of disintegrating to ash, or that real Native Americans take offense to the mere suggestion that they would deign to turn into half teddy-bear, half Old Yeller canine friends. Um, this is a vampire movie right? Where are all the freaking REAL vampires? They had some passable ones in the first movie and when Bella and Alice made an impromptu trip to Italy in their Lamborghini (which is not absurd at all... this is a movie after all), but other than that? Nada. One can only take so much of a moody teenage girl being moody, ya know.

Last edited by Chango; 01-21-2012 at 11:35 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM

251 posts, read 572,795 times
Twilight.
It took me about 2 years to psych myself up to watch the first one.
I laughed so hard.
I had to double check to make sure it was the actual film and not a spoof or satirical version.
So.cheesy.
I just don't get it. At all.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,457,026 times
Quote:
I don't know, maybe his movies don't personally appeal to me that much. I have enjoyed some of them, while he didn't play a major role Natural Born Killers is one, Interview with the Vampire, Inglorious Basterds, Snatch wasn't bad. But recently he's made some bad ones, Ocean's Eleven (some will disagree), Mr and Mrs Smith (horrible), Troy. Fight Club was okay. Benjamin Button likewise okay but nothing great. He hasn't made one film which is in my top 20.
Recently... all those movies came out prior to 6 years ago. When we talk recently, Inglorious Bastards is a fav of mine. His performance in Moneyball was great as well. When you consider the other 3 movies he was in this time period, 2 are animated films aimed at kids (which he has a ton of kids so why wouldn't he try to be in a few films that his kids could enjoy) and 1 normal movie which got good reviews (Tree of Life, which I haven't seen, got 84% on rottentomatoes.com). These are the recent films...

When you talk older films, Se7en, Fight Club, and 12 Monkeys are really amazing films and top alot of lists. All had great reviews (80%+ on rottentomatoes.com) and have tons of fans.

Just because you hate the guy (my guess for some personal life choices i.e. dumping Jen for Angelina, etc) doesn't mean you have to try and validate hating his acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
Aimed at all the hate... While the story has been done before, the 3D was revolutionary. 3D, up to that point, was a joke. Red/Blue glasses, cheezy effects. Avatar took it to a different experience. It enriched a movie, making the film better than it really was. I haven't seen many films (now 2+ years later since Avatar) that have capture the same effect 3D had on that film.

Quote:
The Dark Knight
Totally disagree. Ledger's performance was good. What made this film was how they made the films (Begins, Dark Knight, Rises) dark and gritty like the comics truly were. Christopher Nolan really helped the franchise reboot itself, even if I don't agree with the casting of Anne Hathaway in the next and final Nolan installment. The rest of the acting I felt played with how I envisioned the characters from the comics.

Quote:
Harry Potter Series
First and foremost, these movies are aimed at KIDS. From that aspect, it was scary that these films actually pulled in ADULTS without KIDS. That should tell you alone alot about how well these were done, even without having read any of the books.

Quote:
The Twilight Series
Finally, I will agree with you. Having to sit through the first (wife loves the books)... boy was it bad. Glitter vampires... no thanks. Baseball scene... laughable. Story... too emo, no thanks. How it was filmed was even worse. Special effects were terrible. Multiple scenes I could practically see wireframes and green screens (paste with their background). For having a big production costs, this was inexcusable. Needlesstosay, I told my wife that I would not be joining her on the future ones.

Inception - I don't understand the hate. I personally enjoyed the movie. It makes you think and visually it was gorgeous. Acting was well done.

Personally, my top overrated film is Scarface. Loads of people consider this favorite movie (look at majority of hip hop artists). I don't see the appeal. Is the film watchable? Sure but nothing special. Al Pacino did an amazing job. The rest of casting/story/production... not enough to support the hype.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,138,356 times
I'm surprise Titanic isn't on that list.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,138,356 times
Quote:
I liked Troy and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Benjamin Button was trying to hard for an Oscar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies