Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times

Advertisements

Most war movies, especially those on Iraq/the Gulf War. For some reason they all seem the same. I did enjoy some, like Bridge over the River Kwai, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Pearl Harbor, Platoon, Patton, but the majority follow the same script.

Most relationship movies. Some rom-coms are tolerable, but those serious, dramatic films that mostly involve conversation between two people bore me serious.

A lot of those black and white political crime type movies. There's so much dialogue and you have to concentrate so much on the plot.

Slasher/Zombie flicks. Zombie movies especially are sooooo boring. Like an hour of a half of killing thousands of zombies.

Movies that are too arty, symbolic: A lot of European films are like this. Honestly, I can't be bothered being all intellectual and analytical when watching a film. I want to be entertained. All that symbolism crap reminds me of high school.

Films like Yentil, enough said, lol.

There are probably more but that's all I can be bothered thinking about right now lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times
Horror movies. Zombie movies. Vampire movies. These are all paint-by-numbers.

Sad to say, I have to say that about many, many comedies. It's almost as if all the funny bits are in the previews and that's it.

Typically, any movie with a political agenda is bound to be incredibly tedious, regardless of the issues. All good story-telling is about the character, first, last and always. The minute I hear somebody say, "Well, it's a movie about the Civil War/civil rights struggle/Tibet/the Holocaust/etc." rather than say, "It's a movie about a man/woman/child/family/group who must struggle to get through the Civil War/civil rights struggle/Tibet/the Holocaust/etc." then I know it's going to be yawner, and a preachy one at that. Because the undeveloped characters will be moved around within the plot as if they were pieces on a chessboard, rather than live and breathe enough for us to care about them. Bleagh.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,753,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Horror movies. Zombie movies. Vampire movies. These are all paint-by-numbers.

Sad to say, I have to say that about many, many comedies. It's almost as if all the funny bits are in the previews and that's it.
Basically what I was going to say. My problem isn't necessarily boredom, but I just have a hard time taking horror movies seriously, and the same goes for action/thriller movies. I don't know why, but I can't.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,880,031 times
Yes, horror/gore movies for me too...

Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Romantic comedies. They all leave me cold as a turnip.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:46 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,353,346 times
Science fiction, horror and most of todays action movies.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,639,758 times
Action Movies
Science Fiction
Slasher/Horror films- I like a good chiller/thriller but horror on the whole is often badly done
Most so called "Romantic" comedies
Kung-Fu/Martial Arts
Musicals ( 99.99% of them are excruciating IMO)

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,019,075 times
Sports movies where the underdog team or individual overcomes the odds to make it to the big game. Ho hum.

Feel good "family" movies, where the plot is driven by the dynamic between a kid and an animal of some sort.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:38 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,262,058 times
There are exceptions to every genre, but mostly I dislike action movies, musicals, and any movie where people are screeching at each other.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Sports movies where the underdog team or individual overcomes the odds to make it to the big game. Ho hum.

Feel good "family" movies, where the plot is driven by the dynamic between a kid and an animal of some sort.
Boxing movies are the worse. We KNOW who's going to win. Rocky is the epitome of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies