Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,487,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Okay, just got back. It is worth all the hype. I don't want to spoil it for anyone but it answered so many questions about the Alien saga.

One tip, save your money and skip the IMAX 3D....it cost me $16.00 and I would have been happy seeing it in 2D. Would love to know what others think.....
Appreciate hearing your thoughts, especially about IMAX, but, what about regular 3D, you don't think it would be worth viewing it in that medium? I'm not exactly an expert on that phenomenon, but any thoughts would be further appreciated. The movie was filmed in 3D, and last time I went to a movie that was filmed in 3D, though I enjoyed the movie, it seemed quite evident that some layers were missing as I watched the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,128,855 times
Prometheus was actually filmed in 3-D, though. I saw Avengers, which was filmed in 2-D but edited to be 3-D, and wasn't impressed.

But form what I've read, a movie actually being filmed in 3-D is a big deal when it comes to the look of the movie. I'm probably going to see it in 3-D, but not imax.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:23 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Appreciate hearing your thoughts, especially about IMAX, but, what about regular 3D, you don't think it would be worth viewing it in that medium? I'm not exactly an expert on that phenomenon, but any thoughts would be further appreciated. The movie was filmed in 3D, and last time I went to a movie that was filmed in 3D, though I enjoyed the movie, it seemed quite evident that some layers were missing as I watched the movie.
I would definitely pay for the regular 3D. I loved the movie, but saw more special effects with the previews. $16 is alot for one movie ticket....yeah, I'm cheap!

Whatever you decide, the movie is alot of fun. I hope there's a sequel, since there are still some questions I would love answered.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,487,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I would definitely pay for the regular 3D. I loved the movie, but saw more special effects with the previews. $16 is alot for one movie ticket....yeah, I'm cheap!

Whatever you decide, the movie is alot of fun. I hope there's a sequel, since there are still some questions I would love answered.
Well, I am too anxious to see the movie, so I bought my ticket for the first show of Sat morning, seeing it with a group, ticket is just $6. If I feel I need to see it again, I'll just go ahead and see it in 3D for $12 for the afternoon showing at a later date. I rarely go to the theater and in the past few years, so, it will be a special treat for me to spend the extra money. I wouldn't say I'm cheap, (someone else might argue that,) but, movies have gotten way too expensive for my budget.

Last edited by TRosa; 06-08-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM

358 posts, read 712,275 times
Saw it today. I am a big fan of the series. Heck, even AvP entertains me. Prometheus was great. I'd like to see it again.

The first 15 minutes are rough. I was not encouraged by some of the opening dialogue. There is one super hokey scene in particular between the scientists and Charlise Theron where sipping on a vodka or something. Also I must critique the casting a bit. The guy who is the male scientist at the beginning is not good. They went for the Zoolander male model thing and it stank. The guy belongs in an aftershave commercial maybe, but not this. And Idris Elba, who I love in the Wire, is over the top in a few scenes as the ship captain.

Otherwise this is great sci-fi. Alien fans will mostly love it. The action is well-paced. The lead female is great in her role, as is the guy playing the android.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 PM

1,781 posts, read 4,036,485 times
Can this be seen as a stand-alone movie? I am sure I've watched Alien and Aliens but don't remember all the details. Should I brush up on the earlier movies?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Can this be seen as a stand-alone movie? I am sure I've watched Alien and Aliens but don't remember all the details. Should I brush up on the earlier movies?
You'll be fine! I can't spoil anything for those that haven't seen it yet, but knowing the basics is all you need to know.

One thing...remember the big huge guy in the chair in the first movie? Here's a quick rundown of the Alien saga. I still think you don't need a reminder, since this movie really stands on it's own.

Alein/Aliens/Aliens 3 « Mystery of the Iniquity

Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 PM

2,567 posts, read 2,230,552 times
Saw it earlier today. The parallels with "Alien" are obvious, and the special effects are outstanding. I'd give it a big thumbs up.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,029,808 times
Saw it about a hour ago in IMAX 3D.. There weren't many scenes that "jumped out" in my opinion. At one point I had took off my glasses, and forgot they were off.

I loved the movie.

1.)The movie had kinda a slow beginning. I never saw Alien (outside of a few clips on the net), so it kinda took me a while to make any connections. I had to google a few things I had questions about.

2.) Again it MAY take a while to catch on to whats going on. Once I got a feel of what was happening, I was hooked.

3.) Loved the effects. A few "eww", "WTF" scenes.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:55 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,410,877 times
I saw it yesterday. Unlike others, I do recommend seeing it in 3D, just so that you can appreciate the stunning visuals and landscapes as if you were flying across them.

I'm not going to spoil it or reveal my "theories" until others start doing so, but don't go into it thinking it's an Alien prequel alone, because it's much more than that.

I thought Rapace and Fassbender were fantastic, but I wasn't so keen on Theron's character (I don't necessarily blame her, but rather that some of the character development seemed a little "rushed"). I really liked the captain's character, played by Idris Elba, but he wasn't in it enough, IMO.

There was a fair bit of gore, some scenes felt similar to the original Alien movie in terms of how they were shot (kudos to Ridley Scott for sticking to an original formula where it counted). The score was fantastic, as expected.

My only criticism of the movie is that the last third felt very rushed, as did some of the character development. It definitely could done more with an extra 20 minutes. After a lot of build up, I expected a bit more of a cliffhanger. Maybe this who have seen it already will relate to what I'm attempting to convey.

8/10.

Last edited by dragonborn; 06-09-2012 at 06:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies