Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I've never stomached the Snow White or Sleeping B tales well, but have wanted to see this movie because it looks like a visual feast and Charlize Theron appears to give off an amazing performace. I like that it's a darker tale and hoping to hear more reviews as I want to see it on the big screne, but I don't want sit and be tormented in the theater because there are too many annoying performance scenes that I might want to fast forward through just so I can oogle the pretty visual and special effects.

Hoping to hear some interesting reviews of the movie.
Well, here's my review.

C+

It could have been at least a B- except for the really bad, flat, stupid ending.

I mean, I was embarrassed for the characters in the last scene. They just stood there - no real dialogue, no summation, no real connection to the audience at all.

Whoever cut this movie did a really bad job of it - not just in that final scene either, though it was just the worst.

And I swear, Kristin Stewart looked like she was expecting vampires to attack her at any moment all movie long!

I was so disappointed not to like it more

The bright spot was Chris Hemsworth as the huntsman. I could listen to his voice and look at him all day long, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, here's my review.

C+

It could have been at least a B- except for the really bad, flat, stupid ending.

I mean, I was embarrassed for the characters in the last scene. They just stood there - no real dialogue, no summation, no real connection to the audience at all.

Whoever cut this movie did a really bad job of it - not just in that final scene either, though it was just the worst.

And I swear, Kristin Stewart looked like she was expecting vampires to attack her at any moment all movie long!

The bright spot was Chris Hemsworth as the huntsman. I could listen to his voice and look at him all day long, lol!
That's too bad. It has received disappointing reviews and many of us have really been looking forward to it's release. It may be best to just wait until it comes out on video. Movies are so expensive today..I don't want to waste my $$.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Well, here's my review.

C+

Appreciate hearing your review, I do like myself some eye candy, especially in the form of Chrish Hemsworth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
That's too bad. It has received disappointing reviews and many of us have really been looking forward to it's release. It may be best to just wait until it comes out on video. Movies are so expensive today..I don't want to waste my $$.
Yes it sure is too bad, unfortunately, I've already agreed to see it with a friend, since I was supposed go see Prometheus with said friend, but couldn't wait and went to see it today without her in tow. Now to convince her to see the matinee showing is the mission. I refuse to pay full price for this one.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Well, here's my review.

C+

I agree especially about the audience connection. I had NONE with Snow White. Even her rally the troops scene was flat to me and that's usually what gets me going. I love battle speeches.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
It's just Hunger Games in tin suits. No thanks.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I just saw this movie last night, and I left thinking, "There's two hours of my life I'll never get back." Charlize Theron was amazing; her performance was outstanding. Everything else? Meh. You know a movie is bad when you're thinking even during the first time you see it: "This is ripe for a parody." KS wasn't nearly beautiful enough, sorry. Some humor could have lightened things up a little, but no. This film took itself WAY too seriously, and the results aren't pretty.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I just saw this movie last night, and I left thinking, "There's two hours of my life I'll never get back." Charlize Theron was amazing; her performance was outstanding. Everything else? Meh. You know a movie is bad when you're thinking even during the first time you see it: "This is ripe for a parody." KS wasn't nearly beautiful enough, sorry. Some humor could have lightened things up a little, but no. This film took itself WAY too seriously, and the results aren't pretty.
Thanks for sharing. I'll rent it and save my hard earned cash.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,963 times
Kristin was awful, but the script was even worse.

The huntsman in general served no purpose and contributed no noticeable twist. Considering that this was what was supposed to be the point of the movie...not promising.

There were parts that made absolutely no sense (i.e. the queen suddenly appearing near the end and poisoning Snow White. If she could have done that so easily all along, then why didn't she?)

Then, Snow White gets awakened pretty much right away... (Not to mention, the 'true loves kiss' setup tried to mess with us, but wasn't particularly funny or clever)

C. Theron was the only good part of the movie, but quite frankly, it's way more easy to have an effective villain than hero.

The animation looked cool, esp. when they go to the dwarves' land...but was completely useless and added nothing to the movie.

Snow White suddenly turning from useless to heroic at the end was awkward and forced.

It wasn't so much a dark twist on Snow White as some have suggested...as a uselessly bastardized version of it. I'm all for irreverent takes on classic stories, but this one wasn't really irreverent, just pointless.

My Rating: D

Old 06-25-2012, 11:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Rdadical347, I agree with everything you've said. I was wondering... If the Queen needed Snow White's heart, why didn't she just reach out and take it as Snow White started choking on the poisoned apple? It would have been all too easy. Now that would have been a dark ending!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Rdadical347, I agree with everything you've said. I was wondering... If the Queen needed Snow White's heart, why didn't she just reach out and take it as Snow White started choking on the poisoned apple? It would have been all too easy. Now that would have been a dark ending!
I was wondering that too! I hate when villians feel the need to start talking when they're in the winning position.

I just think the Queen's character was better. I loved the little flashback to her childhood that told how she became the Queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies