Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:35 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of some movies with southern US accent ?

I hear people say some times he or she has southern US accent So I'm trying to understand what makes the southern US accent stand out.

People say in southern US accent they talk slow and have deeper voice .

Also anyone know any movies with female or male with southern US accent ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Anyone know of some movies with southern US accent ?

I hear people say some times he or she has southern US accent So I'm trying to understand what makes the southern US accent stand out.

People say in southern US accent they talk slow and have deeper voice .

Also anyone know any movies with female or male with southern US accent ?
Emily Proctor of "CSI Miami" has a southern accent.
Can't think of any male actors off the top of my head.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,790 times
There is no one southern accent.
Go to You Tube, and type southern accent in their search bar. You'll find a few southern accents there.
Furthermore, if you type the name of a state with the word 'accent' you'll find state specific examples.
Southern accents have become a bit more homogenized since the onset of TV, but that's pretty much true everywhere.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:15 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times
I absolutely love a true southern accent. There are some people though with really thick southern accents, I have one guy at work that has the thick accent. Besides that I don't perceive it as "slow" or have a deeper voice, I think that's just hear-say when you've never heard one. I have some true southern people at work that talk faster than folks where I'm originally from. I think the accent gives them more personality in my opinion. They say that I have a really thick northern (Wisconsin) accent, almost Canadian, but I don't hear it LOL.

As suggested above, I'd just go to YouTube and search, but people who point out that they have a southern accent are usually the ones that try harder to make themselves sound more southern. I find North Carolina has a mixture of everyone, so all accents are starting to blend together for me. When I first moved here their accent really stood out to me, but now it's just normal for me to hear it and not say "oh hey, they have a southern accent!" lol.

I think visiting the south to get a wide range of what the southern accent sounds like would be better than researching and listening to it on YouTube.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Ah hayve no ahidea what a southern accaynt iys.. ah cawl it a Reydneyck acceynt..

Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM

I don't know the features of accent or dialect .

Here what I found of texas accent

Tennessee accent - YouTube

She from UK doing the texas accent.

Also what do you mean people in Canada have thick accent with deep voice.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Sounds more like Louisiana accent^^!

Old 08-31-2012, 06:24 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,377,507 times
Try Sling Blade (Umm Hmmm), Driving Miss Daisy, Smokey & The Bandit and My Cousin Vinny.
Those are not authentic accents but great movies, LOL, You'll thank me later.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Steel Magnolias

Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 PM

So they talk slower and drawn out words ?

So some one from the none south will talk faster and some one from the south talk slower?

Quote:

Try Sling Blade (Umm Hmmm), Driving Miss Daisy, Smokey & The Bandit and My Cousin Vinny.
Those are not authentic accents but great movies, LOL, You'll thank me later
What about the drawn out words ?

Would go like Tho se ar e not au then tic accen ts but .

The video clip above would that be common accent or is in only in some ares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies