Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 06:15 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Goblin's a prog rock band, bud: guitar, keyboards, bass, drums.
The only thing I hate more than electronic music is prog rock. It's the music they play in Hell when the furnaces break down. It keeps everyone in agony till the flames start working again.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:17 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The only thing I hate more than electronic music is prog rock. It's the music they play in Hell when the furnaces break down. It keeps everyone in agony till the flames start working again.
You clearly don't know what prog rock is, then. It's an umbrella term. There isn't "one prog rock" style. Goblin doesn't sound like Yes; Yes doesn't sound like Pink Floyd; Pink Floyd doesn't sound like Hawkwind; Hawkwind doesn't sound like Todd Rundgren's Utopia, etc., etc.

But you keep on listening to those Beatles. You can have 'em.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You clearly don't know what prog rock is, then. It's an umbrella term. There isn't "one prog rock" style. Goblin doesn't sound like Yes; Yes doesn't sound like Pink Floyd; Pink Floyd doesn't sound like Hawkwind; Hawkwind doesn't sound like Todd Rundgren's Utopia, etc., etc.
I dislike all of the above. Happy? (Although I will admit "Comfortably Numb" is a great song.)

Quote:
But you keep on listening to those Beatles. You can have 'em.
Not a big Beatles fan either. The Who and the Kinks are more my speed.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I dislike all of the above.
So you dislike what you're unfamiliar with? Hmm...

Quote:
Happy?
Diff'rent strokes. Some people prefer their music, films and literature on the simpler (or more straightforward) side. Nothing inherently wrong with that.

Quote:
Not a big Beatles fan either. The Who and the Kinks are more my speed.
The Who is good but they're like Zeppelin in that I don't like the early stuff.

The Kinks = innocuous fare.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Some people prefer their music, films and literature on the simpler (or more straightforward) side.
“Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words? He thinks I don’t know the ten-dollar words. I know them all right. But there are older and simpler and better words, and those are the ones I use.” ― Ernest Hemingway

Same principle applies to music. "More complex" doesn't necessarily mean "better." It just means more complex. Robert Wilkins's "Rollin' Stone (Part 1)" has more emotion and truth than anything Eddie Van Halen or David Gilmore or Alex Lifeson ever thought of. And the entire song has two chords.

Quote:
The Who is good but they're like Zeppelin in that I don't like the early stuff.
There are a few gems in their early stuff, but yeah, for the most part, I agree with that.

Quote:
The Kinks = innocuous fare.
Heresy! You'll smoke a turd in Purgatory for that!

Seriously though: The Kinks never produced a masterpiece album. They were one of those bands that would put out albums with three great songs, a few okay songs, and a dud or two. But they also put out some classic songs.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:54 AM

Like I said, diff'rent strokes. Some people can listen to The Ramones for days on end.

Me, I'm gonna put on Blue Öyster Cult because I know what a real lead guitarist sounds like...

Comparing blues songs from the 30s/40s to 70s/80s hard rock is like trying to convince someone that Miles Davis' In a Silent Way is "better" than Vangelis' Albedo 0.39. They're completely different styles of music; the latter is rooted in rock and a personalized, focused approach (Vangelis played every instrument), the former plays much looser and freer and has many participants — seven guys who went on to become heavies in their own right, and no fewer than three keyboardists in Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock and Joe Zawinul.

In the end, you can like both.

Paco de Lucia's music was accessible and complex in feel due to masterful arranging. Where acoustic guitar playing is concerned, he has few peers. You can't tell me this is less "emotional" than an old blues folk song. Heck, this IS emotion in a musical context!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8vszqVL2U

Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You can't tell me this is less "emotional" than an old blues folk song. Heck, this IS emotion in a musical context!
No, but I can tell you that Robert Wilkins is a thousand times more emotional than any prog rock I have ever heard.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:02 PM

I remain on record as Not the World's Biggest Superman fan, but even I will admit that this was a great series. Well worth watching. Still my favorite Superman.

https://www.cbr.com/superman-the-ani...bo-max-hi-def/

Quote:
HBO Max Will Debut Superman: The Animated Series in Hi-Def

HBO Max has revealed that a high-definition version of Superman: The Animated Series will debut on the streaming service for the first time in March.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
No, but

Old 02-25-2021, 11:24 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,596,098 times
came across this in my feed:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/bo...se/ar-BB1dWWic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies