Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,754 times

Advertisements

It's one of those movies I am sure if I like or not. One the one hand, it has a pretty good revenge story to tell, and gives it's villains more depth, than you would expect from a movie like that.

But on the other hand, it tries to throw in a lot of comedy. I suppose We Craven was trying combine serious with satire, kind of like Tarantino does, but I'm not sure a lot of humor was really necessary here to tell the story.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 PM

23,617 posts, read 70,539,170 times
It was about the first of the genre to come out. I dislike horror on many levels, but this one is one that I liked.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,131,403 times
I did not enjoy it, but I don't think that it is a bad film. The brutality was very realistic, and it leaves the audience very empty. Both were intended. Not well know that it was based on Ingmar Bergman's THE VIRIGN SPRING, and it hits on a lot of the same cylindes in discussing violence as a cycle.

Not a pleasant film to watch, though.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 PM

Yeah it's for me to decide on whether or not I liked it, same with the 2009 remake, as the both have their pros and cons. I did see The Virgin Spring after and liked that one.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,633,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It's one of those movies I am sure if I like or not. One the one hand, it has a pretty good revenge story to tell, and gives it's villains more depth, than you would expect from a movie like that.

But on the other hand, it tries to throw in a lot of comedy. I suppose We Craven was trying combine serious with satire, kind of like Tarantino does, but I'm not sure a lot of humor was really necessary here to tell the story.

What do you think?
The original is a classic, and the remake is disposable.

'70s suspense-horror seemed to be more effective than those made in subsequent decades because they had many budgetary limitations to work around. It was all acting and camera work. While movies are a visual medium, there's still a "theater of the mind" element at play as you anticipate what may come next.

Starting in the 90s, the setups got more and more obvious. Once a gimmick was blown, like with Saw, the sequels tended to be more of the same, though Saw 2 did have a good twist.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:44 PM

The only thing that makes me not able to decide if I like the movie is the two dumb cops that seem to be in a different movie altogether.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,635,530 times
Never saw the original, but I liked the remake. Very chilling and disturbing.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 PM

I kind of like the remake but I thought it was overboard in some parts towards the end, that became too silly and over the top, like the microwave scenario.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:42 PM

19,748 posts, read 20,304,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omandwella View Post

I didnt care for the rape scene in the remake (Typical of movies after 2000)

Does the original also have a scene like this?

I bet its much better than the remake (If you can call it somewhat good)
I was going to comment specifically about the rape/brutality (in both versions) being very off-putting for me to watch.

I don't appreciate when movies intentionally exploit that sort of thing to push you to your limits.

I saw each of the movies once,, and that was enough for me.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:36 PM

434 posts, read 1,042,737 times
I was shocked the first time I saw the movie. Being a Wes Craven fan I didn't know what to think. Is this a bad movie, is this a good movie? After watching it a few more times, I can say its not that bad at all. The characters, music, and atmosphere are all over the place. The movie goes from cheesy and lighthearted to dark, intense, and disturbing. And it all works somehow. Great director I guess. The disturbing content is not much in duration though, its 5 to 10 minutes of the film, but it is definitely very disturbing in that short time.

This movie is not quite Nightmare on Elm Street or Scream, but you can see a bit of LHOL in those 2 iconic horror movies., as this was Wes Craven's first movie.

The remake I watched 30 minutes or so, then I turned it off. It wasn't holding my interest. LHOL is a unique, quirky horror film, the remake was........not that, and decided not to continue watching.

Last edited by Ericmrtt; 03-03-2021 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies