Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2018, 02:21 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I don't mention it every 5 minutes. I haven't mentioned Black Panther at all for a while now. There are other users here who like it a LOT more than I do. They don't want to discuss the problems with the third act.

But thanks for confirming you're that one nimrod who registered an alias expressly to scold me for not rating the Ready Player One trailer highly because "maybe the cast is too white" (your words).
I have no idea what you're talking about. Take the baseless claims some place else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OTOH, the television CW Flash is just too stupid.
CW shows are written for teen and tween girls.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:55 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yeah, I have finally given up on it with this season.

I always record programs so that I can speed through commercials.

When I find myself deleting a program without watching it, it's the signal that I'm done. Time to remove it from the recording schedule.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Black Lightning isn't.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Because I never read THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY comics, so I don't really care all that much.
Which goes to show you subjectivity continues to be the measurement tool of choice.

Quote:
He was fantastic. Of my many, many, many gripes about MAN OF STEEL, Zod has never been one of them. He was great. My only complaint about Zod was a minor nitpick: How come he spoke English?
You can't be serious. Why does Thanos speak English and not Titan? Why does Eitri speak English and not Dinklish?

Quote:
He is as invulnerable as any mortal creature can be. If he can rewrite reality to his will and crush a moon with no more than a thought, he has become so powerful that I just don't care anymore.
Thanos isn't a Terran threat. He's a cosmic threat. In order to defeat him, the heroes must figure out what makes him tick. They haven't. Only Gamora & Nebula had/have an idea.

Quote:
Drama is about conflict. Conflict is people trying to cause or avoid hurt. If Thanos cannot be hurt by anything other than an equally powerful Super Being, then there is no conflict and therefore no drama. I'm bored. The only thing our heroes can hurt on Thanos at this point is his feelings, so I'm a little afraid the next movie is going to be Iron Man and Spider-Man attacking him with "Your mama is so fat" jokes. I'd much rather watch Spider-Man chase down convenience store robbers.
Spoiler
Captain Marvel: "You rang?"

Old 04-30-2018, 04:20 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:

Spoiler
Captain Marvel: "You rang?"
And the problem there is that character has also become so stupendously strong that unless they get very smart with the writing, it's also going to be Superman versus Zod.

I'd really rather see the Avengers find a way to bead Thanos on their own...kind of the way Batman would have to beat Superman.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
And the problem there is that character has also become so stupendously strong that unless they get very smart with the writing, it's also going to be Superman versus Zod.

I'd really rather see the Avengers find a way to bead Thanos on their own...kind of the way Batman would have to beat Superman.
Spoiler
It's been telegraphed by demonstrating the effect of the Time Stone.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Which goes to show you subjectivity continues to be the measurement tool of choice.
Had I ever read GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, I might care. But I haven't. So I don't.

Quote:
You can't be serious.
I can be.

Quote:
Why does Thanos speak English and not Titan? Why does Eitri speak English and not Dinklish?
Good question. It did bug me that Thanos and every alien in the galaxy all speaks English. But I figured it's the same reason Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck speak English: Because I'm watching a cartoon.

But back to MAN OF STEEL ... I actually appreciated the scene when the Kryptocrooks first showed up, they broadcast their message in all the languages of Earth. I figure the Kryptocomputers were smart enough to do an analysis. But then by the time Zod and the others land, everyone is fluent in English. It was actually a missed opportunity to do some cool worldbuilding. Maybe have Superman speak to them in Kryptonian? But I know that only uber-nerds like me would appreciate that level of sophistication.

And I know that studio execs would scream, "But kids hate reading in movies!" Which is stupid. I LOVED reading the alien dialects in STAR WARS when I was a kid. I loved the Atlantean in Disney's ATLANTIS. And I wasn't much older than a kid when I read 90 minutes worth of Lakota in DANCES WITH WOLVES.

Quote:
Thanos isn't a Terran threat. He's a cosmic threat. [/spoiler]
The more you explain, the less interested I get. The powers just get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and more ridiculous. That works fine in a nine minute Wylie Coyote cartoon. In a two hour movie? I want more.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I have finally given up on it with this season.

I always record programs so that I can speed through commercials.

When I find myself deleting a program without watching it, it's the signal that I'm done. Time to remove it from the recording schedule.
I haven't watched it in ages. My tween daughter still loves it, but she still loves MY LITTLE PONY. We don't always share the same taste in TV.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:46 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Something tells me the company behind the highest grossing superheroes movies won't get lazy with their writing. Captain Marvel doesn't have to be strong. Marvel literally has other heros who can travel through time. (Dr Strange who clearly said Thanos winning was the only way for him to lose and Antman who presses a button and can travel dimensions).

This notion that some all powerful Captain Marvel will just re-wind time and whip up Thanos, with or without the avengers, has no basis. And is far too lazy and predictable for Marvel.
Quote:
I'd rather see a standalone Thanos movie first, so we can see more of his background, upbringing, and motivations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies